PDA

View Full Version : toy poodle puppys

wolfman76
02-25-2006, 09:18 AM
i have a choc toy poodle i bred her as she is getting older and my family has had her and 2 gen. back but when i took the puppys over to get the papers signed and tails a dew claws done i was told they were not pure poodle for two reasons that i never heard of and i was wondering if anyone else had i was told that poodles dont have rear dew claws and that they are never born with short tails all still needed docking but some were a lilltl shorter any ideas would be app.

Pam
02-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I am not a breeder but have had poodles for over 30 years. Your note sends me a clear message that you are not a legitimate breeder or you wouldn't be asking such things. I don't mean to be rude, but I hate seeing dogs being bred by anyone but breeders who know what they are doing with the bettering of the breed being first in their mind. *sigh*

JenBKR
02-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I am not a breeder but have had poodles for over 30 years. Your note sends me a clear message that you are not a legitimate breeder or you wouldn't be asking such things. I don't mean to be rude, but I hate seeing dogs being bred by anyone but breeders who know what they are doing with the bettering of the breed being first in their mind. *sigh*

Well said. Sounds like you didn't do much research, just added to the overpopulation. :(

wolfman76
02-25-2006, 11:30 AM
i tryed to check after they were born but to no avail i cant find info anywere as for adding to the over population my family will be takeing the other 2 pups and all 3 will be fixed if anyone knows were i can find this info i would thank for it and i also never had anyone say that b4 about the dew claws

dab_20
02-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Dido...

IRescue452
02-27-2006, 02:33 PM
You can only register puppies if both parents were registered. That's also the only way to prove they are purebred. If you took them in to be registered, didn't you bring the parents' papers? Poodles can be born with rear dewclaws. They can also be born with short tails. But since this litter seems exceptionally off I'd guess the parents weren't of any good quality and shouldn't have been bred. I'm thinking this breeding was quite irresponsible. You also said the female was getting older, how old is she?

Jessika
02-27-2006, 02:43 PM
i tryed to check after they were born but to no avail i cant find info anywere as for adding to the over population my family will be takeing the other 2 pups and all 3 will be fixed if anyone knows were i can find this info i would thank for it and i also never had anyone say that b4 about the dew claws

Regardless if you were a legitimite breeder, you would already know all of this information and whether the person who told you about the dewclaws was wrong or right, you would know whether the information they told you was wrong or right beforehand! It would not come as a surprise to you either way if you did proper research before hand.

I, for one, don't know about the whole dewclaws issue but I was always under the impression that most (if not all) puppies born have dewclaws that need to be removed after they are a few days old (as well as docking tails if necessary).

BOBS DAD
03-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Whew... Wolfman. They've come down on you hard!!! I am not so upset about your wanting to breed your own dog. You've had her and loved her (and apparently her parents) her entire life - and it is natural that you would like to have a pup descended from her. Evidently your family is also interested in the remaining litter as pets and so, I don't see the harm. It is not as if you've gone off on some wild breeding venture in hopes of making it rich with your 4-5 puppies. As far as having them registered, I can't understand the problem. As far as I know, all poodles have dew claws and varying tail lengths at birth. I don't even think the standard (AKC) necessarily calls for the dew claws to be removed, but YES - the tails do need to be docked. There must be something else out of order for you to be denied registration. If your parents are both registered and paperwork in good order, then there should be no problem. UNLESS... your puppies not only have the issues you mention but also display some alarming irregularities that suggest they are NOT REALLY the offspring of the parents you say they are. I certainly would not suggest that this is the case, as I am not well informed. BUT I have heard of cases where folks surprisedly find out that their purebred is pregnant and not knowing the father, seek an agreement with another purebred owner in hopes of having their pups registered.
BUT AGAIN... if you are being honest, your paperwork is valid/complete and you have met all the necessary requirements for registration, you should seek to register them again. Get the AKC involved if necessary to settle any disputes. There is also a Poodle Club located in Ohio (I believe you are from OH): Poodle Club of America, Kamilla M Mazanec, (513) 248-8679, Ohio, [email protected] GOOD LUCK.