PDA

View Full Version : a dog's "prayer"

manyinone
04-18-2002, 03:17 PM
i found this at another site and wanted to share it.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do. Speak to me often, for your voice is the sweetest music in the world, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ears.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through the ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god, and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may be well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest, and I will leave you knowing that with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

ManyinOne :cool:
http://www.bigfatbaby.com/p.cfm?p=/newfun2/animal/dogpray.cfm

lizbud
04-18-2002, 03:32 PM
Thank You Manyinone for posting the prayer. It
is my all time favorite and always brings tears
to my eyes because of the genuine truth of it...

P,S. Just checked out the posts & photos of
Katie & Shyla. Beautiful dogs. Liz.

anna_66
04-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Manyinone, that was very nice!
I have one to add, not a prayer, but a

"Tribute To A Dog"
The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish word, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverity, in health and sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely if only he may be by his masters side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounter with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in it's journey through the heavens.

I have had this tribute hanging on my fridge for at least 10 years. It is my favorite, just wanted to share.

04-18-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanks for sharing that poem. I have always loved that one:) Anna, thanks for that tribute. I had never seen that before:)

Thank you both! :D

tatsxxx11
04-18-2002, 05:50 PM
This is one of my favorites. Someone sent it to me when I lost Jingles.

I ONLY WANTED YOU

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could save you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
Deep in my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

Author unknown

www.petloss.com A wonderful site for healing, comfort, dog and animal prayer, poetry and prose; has the story of the Rainbow Bridge, the Weekly Candle Ceremony

lizbud
04-18-2002, 06:40 PM
OH Sandra,

Now you've done it ...:( :( :( :(

I remember reading that poem after the loss of my
first adopted Pup Charlie. He mercifully crossed the
Rainbow Bridge at 12 weeks old. The Vet could not
save him. I cried for months , but somehow letting out
the grief I felt everytime I read the poem finally helped
me heal... Thanks for including it in a list of favorites. Liz.

anna_66
04-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Speaking of loosing your pet, I got this poem from
"Heaven's Playground" (http://www.forpetloversonly.com/)I made a plaque with a picture of my Keisha Monster and this poem on it. It is hanging in my living room, just reminds me she's still with me!

"LAST NIGHT"

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear.
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here"
I was close to you at breakfast I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today, your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today, you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me"
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away"
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over...I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, 'll see you in the morning"
and when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we''ll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

The last few lines, make me want to start bawling:( but what a sweet poem! Here is a memorial Jacqui did for me at Heaven's Garden Memorials (http://www.geocities.com/heavens_garden_memorials/garden2.html) Isn't it beautiful?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/p6f8572a0673fbaee19f8d238aa0b550e/fdcc3eea.jpg

Gio
04-19-2002, 04:21 AM
Thanks all for posting these poems. I'm sitting here quite teary eyed.

I agree with you Anna, Keisha's memorial is beautiful.

manyinone
04-19-2002, 08:33 AM
hi,
glad everyone liked it. and shared their own...cool

MIO

jackiesdaisy1935
04-19-2002, 09:10 AM
Those were wonderful prayers and poems, they bring back memories of our Kona who passed away last year. Thank you all for sharing them with us.
Jackie

Stenograsaurus
04-19-2002, 01:19 PM
All the poems are so pretty. I really love your Heavens Playground one. I can relate to it. Last Summer I was up in my daughter's room hanging up clothes. I glanced out and looked at the landing at the top of the stairs and saw a dog there. I thought, look at that, Patience is picking up Kilo's (RB) habit. I finished and went to leave. There was no dog on the landing. I didn't hear a dog going downstairs. I went down and asked my husband where Patience was. He said she's been outside since you went upstairs. :eek: I guess it wasn't Patience after all. ;)

Then last Wednesday night, after having put Misty down, I was trying to sleep. One of the times that I drifted out of sleep, I heard purring at the top of my head. I thought, Fawn must be picking up where Misty left off. I reached up to pet Fawn and he wasn't there. I turned the light on and he wasn't even in the room.

It was so nice that they boht let me know that they made it and they're happy. I am looking forward to seeing them on the other side.

lovemymaltese
04-19-2002, 02:45 PM
thanks for sharing the poem, it was beautiful. I am gonna have to share that one with some folks.:)

AdoreMyDogs
04-19-2002, 10:37 PM
The tears are 'a flowin' from Leslie's eyes!