PDA

View Full Version : Search

Kfamr
02-23-2006, 05:11 PM
What the heck is wrong with our search engine here? It never works anymore. I narrow down the options, vary the options, etc. It rarely EVER works.

I get this message all of the time "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." when I KNOW there is a match and I know there was a post made.

It's getting quite aggrivating. Does it happen to anyone else or does the search just decide not to work for me???

Husky_mom
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
i havent had that problem but i dont use it much so it could be it, exactly what are you looking for i can try and see if it works with me..........

.sarah
02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
It usually works for me as long as I don't put in a very general term.

Jessika
02-23-2006, 06:03 PM
I think the database is just SO HUGE that the script has a hard time sorting through every post and thread ever made. So more specific threads/posts are easier to find whereas a general term may bring up errors.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I get this when I search for something...

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 25165824 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/httpd/vhosts/petoftheday.com/httpdocs/talk/search.php on line 984

LoudLou
02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Kay,

I have the same problem. Especially when I'm trying to find a thread that I know was started in the morning, and by afternoon it's no longer coming up in "New Posts" thing... Really miss the "Today's Active Threads" button.:(

Paul
02-23-2006, 09:37 PM
   I made a couple of changes to the server. The search engine will now work more often. It is still slow and may take up to 90 seconds to complete a search. The server used to try to find up to a maximum of 10,000 results. After some testing I have found our server has enough trouble finding 100 results in 90 seconds.

The search engine will be quickest when you use "Advanced Search" and narrow your search as much as possible.

Paul

Kfamr
02-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks Paul! Going to test it out tomorrow...

Paul
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
   I have added "Today's Posts" to the navigation bar at the top of the page. Because of this the maximum number of results returned is now 300.

Paul

Jessika
02-23-2006, 11:37 PM
90 seconds!!! What, do you think we have all the time in the world or something?? :P

hehe Thanks, Paul!

Randi
05-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I have problems searching for old threads too - like the one titled something like: "Where do we all come from?". It's a poll. I have tried narrowing it down, but no luck. :( I don't quite understand the criteria - could you please explain it?

Karen
05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Randi, do an "advanced search" and choose "all threads older than a year" for starters, then try putting the text you're looking for in quotes.

The thread you are looking for is here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=8140)

I found it by doing a search for All thread a year old and older, and the world Germany, as where, do, we, and all are all very, very commonly used words. I figured Auggie or Barbara would have put Germany, and viola! There it is!

Randi
05-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks Karen, but it still doesn't work. I did do an advanced search: Title, General forum, At least 10 replies, A year and older, Threads. I just now tried the word Germany and four or five other threads came up, but not the one you posted a link to - thanks! The link works, but not the link in my first post on that thread. :confused:

I wanted to see the poll.

Karen
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
The poll had been posted by someone who later deleted all his/her threads, I believe.

BOBS DAD
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
***I made a couple of changes to the server. The search engine will now work more often. It is still slow and may take up to 90 seconds to complete a search. The server used to try to find up to a maximum of 10,000 results. After some testing I have found our server has enough trouble finding 100 results in 90 seconds.

***The search engine will be quickest when you use "Advanced Search" and narrow your search as much as possible.

******Paul
YEAH PAUL... I have seen the script of our LEADER. HE DOES EXIST!!! :D

Pawsitive Thinking
06-01-2006, 06:55 AM
YEAH PAUL... I have seen the script of our LEADER. HE DOES EXIST!!! :D

Yay Paul! thank you