View Full Version : Greenies Not Good For K9's??

Felix
02-23-2006, 05:20 AM
I was shocked when I heard this on the news just moments ago.I give greenies to my cat,I wonder can he digest them properly?This concerns me :confused:

If you give your dog greenies please read this article.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/family/5373540/detail.html

Vela
02-23-2006, 06:22 AM
There have been several theads about this. It depends on who you ask as to whether they feed them or not. Some feel no need to risk it for something that really has no benefit, when there are safer chews and treats, and others feel they pose no threat to their pets and continue to give them. It's really up to each individual as all chews and treats can be potentially harmful if pets are not monitored while chewing but personally I don't feed them, I gave them to them a couple of times a long time ago but my dogs chew through them too fast and easily bite off big pieces so it's not good for my dogs IMO.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Like Vela said this is a topic that has been discussed several times. It's a very controversial subject. Most will tell you it depends on the dog wether or not they are safe. If a dog is known to gulp his food I wouldn't trust him with a greenie, he'd most likely eat that too fast and in too large of pieces, that's where the trouble comes in.

I do give my dogs greenies and they love them! My dogs chew them nicely. I'd rather give them a greenie than other kinds of chews. Greenies are completely digestible whereas most aren't.

I give them to my cats too. The cat ones aren't chews, they're just like regular cat treats. No worries there unless maybe your cat doesn't chew them.

BC_MoM
02-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Every single pet should be monitored while eating ANYTHING. Pretty much anything is a choking hazard, some worse than others.

I think Greenies are a fine thing to feed your dog, but I just don't.. my dogs don't get any kind of dental bones or anything like that.. they don't need it. :p

Vela
02-23-2006, 08:22 AM
My dogs are big chewers, if I don't give them something to chew they find something else LOL, so i give them Bully sticks. Those are 100% digestible, unlike rawhide and other treats like that, and so far we have never had an adverse reaction, choke episode, digestive upset, or any other problems we ended uphaving with other type of chews. For myself bully sticks are the only things I give to chew, except raw knuckle bones once in a while, oh and I tried those big stinky hooves once, the ones that are like whole feet, but they don't work as well for my dogs because of their mouth structure and cracker ended up with chin sores from it, so I don't give those now. The bully sticks work the best for me, but everyone has to decide what works best for themselves and their dogs because each dog is different, some are aggessive chewers, like mine, and some just nibble on things, so it's really all relative as to your dog's chewing style.