PDA

View Full Version : hedge hog treats...

dab_20
02-22-2006, 03:56 PM
What do you feed a hedge hog for treats other then worms or crickets??

And I have a wood block in his cage but he never chews on it... will his teeth get too long?

jesse_3
02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
hedgehogs teeth don't grow as other rodents do. Theirs are more like dog teeth, have you ever seen them? lol, when I first got Splinter, it was the first time I had seen a hedgie's teeth (her lower jaw is way shorter than her top one, so I can see her 2 front teeth)
As for treats, I have not yet found any that Splinter likes, but you could try yogurt dips, any type of rabbit treats, and I have found hedgie treats in some places. As for crickets and worms, those should really be a good part of their diet. Cat food is good too, but the extra nutrition that they get from crickets and worms is very very good too.

I hope that this helped!!
Steph and Splinter

dab_20
02-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, Steph. I have seen his teeth before... they are so odd looking. lol... we don't feed him crickets too often... mostly worms since you don't have to catch them.

As for his main diet I feed him Hedge Hog food... He always leaves the dried fruit looking things.

jesse_3
02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
lol, yeh, worms are easier to catch!! I got crickets from Ben Franklin. They have a little pet store (it is disgusting and sad:() and that is the only place in my town that they sell crickets.

Also, Splinter HATES dried fruit..she only eats fresh pears. I have tried other fresh fruits, but she doesn't touch them! My other hedgies did though. You could probably try a couple of fresh fruits. Sorry I forgot to mention that!!

Steph and Splinter

dab_20
02-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks! Do they like apples?

jesse_3
02-23-2006, 09:39 PM
My two Spike and Pepper did! (Especially Pepper) Those were his favorites!
I think that Splinter is just a *REALLY* picky eater..lol
Steph and Splinter

dab_20
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok, I will put some apple peices in his tank this weekend. Better get to bed, ttyl!