PDA

View Full Version : My buddy (co-pilot) Steve

lbaker
02-22-2006, 01:17 PM
I just read about Angie's co-worker, now I have to tell you and ask for prayers for my families best friend and who might as well be family member Steve. He was hit by a train yesterday morning down the street and is in critical condition. I just went with son and DIL Jenny to visit him. Horrible. He is in a coma. He has broken bones all over and massive internal injuries but is alive. How? Someone up there knows he has a good, gentle heart and soul. He was my co-pilot on our trip to visit Phred in Ohio. His mom and dad - JoAnn & Bill - are in constant touch with us and us with them. When we were at the hospital they asked ME for permission to go back in and operate. I said "wait for Mom & Dad they will be here shortly". I am so .. so... can't talk any more.

Laurie

Jadapit
02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm so sorry! So much sadness on PT today. :( You, Steve and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers. (((Hugs)))

pitc9
02-22-2006, 01:40 PM
My thoughts a prayers are with you and your family.

poofy
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
My mouth just dropped, how awfull..my prayers go out to him and all his family and friends, may the lord touch his poor body and soul..and give healing and comfort..

Daisy and Delilah
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
My thoughts and prayers are on the way to all of you from Florida. It is indeed a very sad day here at Pet Talk :(

slick
02-22-2006, 02:18 PM
My dear, dear friend! :( I wish I had the words to ease the pain of everyone involved. My heart goes out to you and the family and of course, all of you are in my daily prayers. I sent you and email this morning so you know my whereabouts for the next 5 days.

{{{hugs}}}

shais_mom
02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
prayers and thoughts sent Laurie.

poofy
02-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Any word on Steve?? So much happening..I just feel so bad for all..

Cinder & Smoke
02-23-2006, 02:47 AM
Hi God ~

Need sum big Help down here - Laurie's Co-Pilot ~ Steve ~
gots *bumped* by a train an needs lotsa Help getin himself all put back together.

Steve was really *nice* ta drive over an visit wiff Dad -
we need ta round up a Cheer-Up-Gang ta visit him inna hoppsbittle.

Let's try to check an see iffin they have a E-Card program.

Lots of Prayers winging their way to Steve's Room -
Please Get Better, Buddy!!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Daisy and Delilah
02-23-2006, 05:36 AM
How is Steve getting along today? We're still hoping and praying for him :(

Killearn Kitties
02-23-2006, 05:40 AM
:( Laurie, that's terrible. My thoughts are with you all.

lbaker
02-23-2006, 07:12 AM
He had to have another transfusion about 3 a.m. this morning and they have to go back into his "innards" in an hour or so to rearrange some parts :( He has a broken leg, broken arm and broken pelvis in addition to his internal injuries but there is brain activity and somehow his skull and back made it OK. I'll find out about the email program when I speak with his critical care nurse shortly. His Mom & Dad can't make it in today so Kenneth & Jenny will come with me when he's out of his "procedure" later on. Still not conscious but that's probably a good thing, all things considered. Thank you one and all. I will be printing out these thoughts and prayers and reading them to him when I can. They say he can probably hear voices so there is that.

Daisy and Delilah
02-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the update. Poor fella is going through alot. I feel so bad for him and everyone else. Bless all of you and may you have the strength you need to get through this terrible situation. You all will remain in my thoughts and prayers. :(

Vela
02-23-2006, 08:32 AM
How terrible! I am glad to hear his spine and brain seem to be okay right now, those are the hardest to "fix" when something like that happens. My prayers and thoughts are with him, you, and his family. I hope he makes it=(

emily_the_spoiled
02-23-2006, 08:36 AM
Laurie, I am so sorry to read about this. Steve is in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know...

Cheryl

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh gosh, Laurie, I'm so sorry. :( From personal experience with my parents, the broken bones will heal and are not critical, it's the internal injuries they need keep under control if he is going to make it. Those innards and brain and spine are the most important and it sounds like good news on most of those fronts....

Good thoughts and most definitely prayers going out for Steve, his family and friends and you. Hang in there because it sounds like the family needs you.

{{{hugs}}}

Lilith Cherry
02-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Oh hugs and all good thoughts to you and family Laurie. I will say prayers for Mr "Co-pilot" too.

Karen
02-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Prayers on the way for Steve.

Ginger's Mom
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
More prayers going out for Steve, and hugs to you and his family.

Van10
02-23-2006, 10:57 PM
I will be praying for you and your friend and his family.
{{hugs}}

krazyaboutkatz
02-24-2006, 12:57 AM
Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Steve's way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

K9karen
02-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Thank God it's never too late to add prayers. I'm sorry I just saw this. Heartfelt Hugs to all of you.

zippy-kat
02-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Sending positive prayers and healing purrs your way!

{{hugs}}

Vela
02-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Have you heard anything new about his condition? I hope he's doing okay.

anna_66
02-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh Laurie how awful:(

I'll be keeping him in my prayers.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Any uppydates on Steve's condition? Still keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!

slick
02-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Good morning Laurie, Slick and I are checking in on this thread to see if there are any updates for Steve.

Please know we are with you "sister" and saying prayers that Steve will recover completely.

xxoo from us both.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Will be thinking of you all at this dreadful time

lbaker
02-24-2006, 01:05 PM
I just returned from the hospital. He is better than yesterday. He had another operation last night/this morning to reconnect some innards. Medical terminology escapes me right now. He tried and somewhat succeeded to open eyes when he heard my voice and Kenneth's & Jenny's voice. His eye balls were rolling but he does hear. I know he does. I read to him. Nonsense stuff but the voice matters. I'm not the only one with pain this day and week (year?) so I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thank you. Phred for your message, I'll p.m. you in a bit. I will be picking up his dog Steffie, one of my Badgers daughters and Punk and Rascals sister to come visit with us this weekend. With hope... and thank you Simba ;)
Laurie

lizbud
02-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Prayers for Steve & his family at this sad time.It's so strange how
peoples lives can totally change in just a minute. :( I wish him well.

lbaker
02-25-2006, 04:10 PM
This is so hard. He is hanging in there but had to have another operation this morning to finish (thank doG FINISH) closing up his torso after making sure the last op stopped inner bleeding and organs, what's left of them, will start to heal. They also had to wire his jaw shut. We didn't even know it had been broken. No word yet about an e-card system but I am reading to him and will relay your thoughts and prayers. Still not truly consious but that is most likely a good thing. The man got hit by a train for doG's sake, it's a wonder he is still alive, and for that we are eternally grateful.
L

Karen
02-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Thank you for relaying all our wishes to him, even if he's not exactly conscious, I am sure they are connecting with him on some level. I am still glad his brain and spine weren't damaged, and hope everything esle is on the road to recovery.

Daisy and Delilah
02-25-2006, 04:28 PM
OMG. This is just so hard for this poor fellow and all of his friends and loved ones. My thoughts and prayers will continue to go out to all of you during this most difficult time :(

Vela
02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm glad he is hanging in there. I pray for him daily that he will recover fully. Our best thoughts and wishes for everyone involved and we will continue to keep him in our prayers.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm glad he's hanging in there, Laurie. Hope you are too. :( Again from my experience with my parents' accident, sometimes I think it's worse for us "onlookers" than it is for them. Especially those most injured, like Steve, and my dad. For their own sake, the hospital will often put them into a "medical coma." This ensures that they will stay still, and I'm sure Steve has a respirator which is very uncomfortable if you're conscious. As a matter of fact, as soon as they let my dad "come up" he ripped the respirator out himself so they had to tie his hands to the bed. :rolleyes: He had no idea what had happened, he had no idea where he was, he had no idea he couldn't just get out of bed and he had no idea just how injured he was. The same is probably true with Steve, so it's best that he stay "under" to let his body heal as much as possible. This is extremely hard on us "onlookers" but it really is the best thing. I know he hears you and you just being there is making a huge difference to his well being and to his healing process. However, don't be surprised if he doesn't remember any of this once he's better. My dad was in the hospital for a month and doesn't remember a minute of it! He was even transferred to a different hospital by plane. He remembers being on a plane, but that's it - not a second of the hospital stay!

Anyway, didn't mean to go on, but just wanted to try and give you some assurance. I say if Steve has made it this long, there is a way better chance he will make a full recovery.......as fully as his injuries will allow anyway.

{{{hugs}}} to you - hang in there and tell Steve we're thinking of him and praying for his recovery.

lbaker
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
OK, just a week now and the innards seem to be healing but still no true brain/cognizance response. Eye lids start to open but no "tracking", that's the eyeball thing. Went into the "innards" with a scope camera thingy today for his bronchial and lung action and, well, OK. But his Mom is freaking about his brain activity, or lack thereof. The nurses want ME to talk to her to calm her down. EXCUSE ME, I'M NOT A MEDICAL PERSON What if I say the wrong thing and give false hope? Medical induced coma, yeah... I understand. But she wants him to look at her. Oh Lord how do I help? If it were my son I would want nothing less. I'm so sorry guys, I'm just worn out :(

I just logged off but had to come back on to say I'm sorry.. I sound like a whiney spoiled brat. I can do what is needed now. Thanks for letting me sound off.
L

slick
02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Laurie my friend. Please forgive me for being so inconsiderate as to not keep up with this thread. I have just finished reading the whole thing again and I must say that what Debbie wrote made me feel a bit better about this tradegy.

God bless you for being there and I can only imagine how hard this must be on you and the whole family. As for speaking to Steve's Mom I guess they want you to address the issue because you are closest to the family and always there. My first reaction when I read that was "No, you are too close to home to speak to her." In other words, you are just as distraught as the rest of the family. Then I thought again.....you have a way about you....your words can be of great comfort (I've been on the receiving end.. ;) )....try to soothe her with the thought that these things take time. I don't think they expect you to give medical advice.....just encouragement and support, and my friend, you do that so well.

Sending big {{{hugs}}} and more prayers are on the way. You know where I am if you need me.
slick xoxoxoxo

Karen
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Steve and you are still in our prayers.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Laurie, you are NOT a whiney spoiled brat! You are a great friend who is having a tough time dealing with your friend's tragic accident and you are doing the best you can. I can only imagine that you are exhausted from having to deal with all of this, plus have to go to work every day and deal with daily life. Try to get some rest and I know you'll have a better outlook in the morning, and more than likely you'll have good idea of what to tell his mom. Like Slick says, I don't think they're looking to you to give out medical advice, if anything they're looking to you to interpret their medical terms into more "lay" terms that his mother can understand easier.

I know you are being strong and hanging in there, but this needs to be said also. It's ok for you to break down and cry - and it's ok to do it in front of his family if that's when it happens. It's really quite cleansing and clears your head and actually makes you feel stronger. I remember my "break down" with my parents accident, and I remember afterwards, feeling quite calm and clear headed and much more optimistic. It was like a big fog had been lifted from over my head.

So be strong, hang in there, but don't be afraid to break either.

{{{hugs}}}

Ginger's Mom
02-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I, too, have not been keeping up with this as I should. :( I am so sorry. I am sorry that you have to go through this Laurie. You do not at all sound like a whiney spoiled brat, you sound like a wonderful friend who has way too much to deal with. Big hugs to you, and more prayers going out.

lbaker
03-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey hey! Just came back from the hopspittal and I am encouraged, somewhat. His eyes didn't open today but he does look better. Good color. I held his hand and "sang" *such as it is* :rolleyes: one of our favorite tunes.. "Your Sweet and Shiny Eyes, Are Like the Stars Above Larado".. etc. And I sang "Hush Little Baby Don't Say a Word, Momma's Gonna Buy You a Mocking Bird"... When I did, and he heard my voice, I swear he moved his broken arm and reached to me. He held onto my hand very tightly. He even rubbed his thumb against my fingers. Maybe he was asking me to not quit my day job and don't even try to sing any more :rolleyes: That's a VERY GOOD THING. I was able to speak with his Doc's and when I called his mom & dad after getting home they were soooo pleased.

Laura's Babies
03-05-2006, 05:00 PM
OH GOD!! I just saw this thread! I think you know what I have been through last year with my son Eddie.

Eddies wife brought his CD player in his room and played his favorite CD's while he was in his coma and as he was waking up. I think it helps for them to hear things, sounds, music they are use to and probably comforting. Keep talking to him and when you run out of things to say, read to him, a book a magizine, anything that he may be interested in.

Read this to him from me, Laura Sibley that lives in Louisiana

Hi Steve, did you know you have a ton of people praying for you all over the world and sending good thoughts and vibes at you to help you heal and get well? I am one of those people. My son was hurt real bad last year in an explosion and he survived when most wouldn't have and you can too and you will. Hang in there, feel our love and strength and draw from that if you need it. God will place his healing hand on you and make you well but you have to do your part too, as my son did. Hang on and hang in there, feel the love and prayers and let them and the doctors do their work while you rest and heal. Take it easy there, get your rest since your body needs all it's strength to heal and recover. We will continue to pray for you and send you good thoughts and vibes until you no longet need them. God Bless you Steve and He will take care of you. Laura

Daisy and Delilah
03-05-2006, 10:40 PM
My thoughts and prayers are still going out to Steve and all the rest of you. I can't imagine how hard it is to go through this. I can't wait to hear that he's made a complete recovery. (((((HUGS)))))

Karen
03-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Hey Laurie, tell Steve he'd better get around to opening his eyes soon, or we'll all be sending tapes for you to play him - or for the nurses to play when you're not there. Mario singing Day-O ... Lady howling along ...

I know some really, really really annoying songs I could teach you, Laurie - the kind that'd wake someone out of a coma just to tell you to STOP ALREADY!

Seriously, he's still in our prayers, as are you.

gini
03-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Laurie, it must be so difficult for you to see your long time friend in this condition - but your recent news sounds so hopeful.

Debbie's comments really helped too and hopefully Steve won't remember any of this time (especially your singing to him :p ).

Big hugs to you and more prayers for Steve.

xxoo

zippy-kat
03-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't reply every day but I do check the thread. Continued prayers and support from us!

slick
03-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Just sending some more well-wishes, hugs and prayers your way. That is encouraging news about Steve and I hope things continue to improve. As for your singing, well remember when that "singing" message you left for me on my answering machine last year for my birthday??? If Steve hears anything like that, he'll wake up in a hurry.... ;) All kidding aside the family must be so grateful for your love and support. Don't forget, you are there for them, but we are here for you.

lbaker
03-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Thank you all. Laura, yes I have been thinking very hard about you and Eddie and understand so much better about inner strength and the power of love. Travis, my eldest grandson, is putting a CD thingy together for me to take to the hospital and yes Karen, he is adding DAY-O - it's amazing how much Mario can sound like Harry Belefonte ;) Every day that isn't bad is good, right? Slick, Gini and Tonya - how could I get by without you? And all the rest. With love,
Laurie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Wonderful news, Laurie! I hope and pray he continues to improve everyday. The tight hand holding and rubbing his thumb on your finger means he's in there, he just has more healing to do before he's ready to come back to reality.

Happy LES.

{{{hugs}}}

Laura's Babies
03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
IBaker, Eddies wife's most often comment in the beginning was " I don't care what shape he is in, he is ALIVE and I can work with that!".

Eddies nurses use to tell us whenever we asked how he was doing, "He is doing GOOD!".. no matter how bad a day he had so one time we asked what that was all about... he had a bad day so just say so! One told us "Any day he didn't die IS a good day!" There was one of his nurses that told us he shouldn't have made it, that most that are burned that bad, don't. So I know it was the prayers and good thoughts from everyone that kept Eddie alive.

Keep singing and talking to Steve, tell him your PT friends are pulling and praying for him... If you give us a address, we can start sending cards to him at the hospital... That use to amaze Eddie (people he didn't know sending him cards) and believe me, it DID lift his spirits SO high!

Corinna
03-07-2006, 10:32 AM
yes laurie we need to have an card avalance for Steve.

gini
03-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Laurie, I agree with Laura's suggestion. Could we get the address at the hospital so we can start sending Steve some cards? When he becomes more aware it would be wonderful for him to see how many people were praying for him.

lbaker
03-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Great news, he has just been moved to "Intermediate Care" which is "stepdown" from Surgical Intensive Care where he has been. He can now start receiving cards and I am allowed to bring in some music. The Intensive Care unit was so crowded with tubes and wires and stuff they asked us not to bring in anything and we could only stay a few minutes at a time. His folks will call me after talking to his Dr today. As for now, his address is
Steve Jackson
Washington Hospital Center
Unit I-H
110 Irving Street NW
Washington DC 20010-2975
maybe the hospital name should go first or it should say "for patient Steve Jackson" ???
No email system in place at the hospital. You guys are the greatest.
L

Laura's Babies
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
A card will be in the mail to him no later than tomorrow from here!! I am even going to ask Regina to send one if she will (and I am sure she would!). I may even print out some pictures to send since Eddie got a real kick out of pictures one lady kept sending.

STEP DOWN! YAAAAAAAA! That is the most thrilling news ever since Eddie was sent to step down, them HOME! I am Happy Dancing with all of you there!! WAY TO GO STEVE!!! http://bestsmileys.com/dancing/9.gif

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Wow, even better news!!!

They normally don't allow much in intensive care, but now that he's leaving there, I'm sure his room will be filled with flowers, cards, and lots and lots of people who love him. :D

lbaker
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
I just spoke with Bill & JoAnn, his folks. They were there this afternoon and Bill said he looked much better. His main care nurse isn't exactly Nurse Kratchet but according to Bill she comes close :mad: Although Steve's eyes still aren't really focusing, when Bill said "Steffie says hello" [Steffie is Steve's dog, one of my Badger dog's daughter's] Steve's eyes actually focused and stared at him. Oh my. K and Jenny and I will be by tomorrow just after noon hour. I am printing these thoughts and prayers from you all out and will read them to him. If my son Kenneth allows me, I may even sing him something :rolleyes: ;) Travis [eldest grandson] is busy putting the CD thing together. I may sleep well tonight. If only I hear Delta is home that would make this the best day in years. Thanks doesn't even start to explain how I feel.
Deb, I'm sorry to say he really doesn't have "lots and lots" of friends to visit him. He is rather reclusive and my family and his folks are pretty much it. :(

Killearn Kitties
03-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Laurie, I'm so pleased to hear that Steve has been moved out of intensive care! That is fantastic news!

Lilith Cherry
03-08-2006, 05:33 AM
I am so happy to hear how well Steve has progressed. I know how very scared and helpless you feel in those circumstances - my husband came very close to death a while ago after an accident here in China. Lots of loving thoughts from both of us here and we will keep you all in our hearts and prayers!

Yippee!!

Cataholic
03-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Eddies nurses use to tell us whenever we asked how he was doing, "He is doing GOOD!".. no matter how bad a day he had so one time we asked what that was all about... he had a bad day so just say so! One told us "Any day he didn't die IS a good day!" There was one of his nurses that told us he shouldn't have made it, that most that are burned that bad, don't.

That is so insightful! It makes sense, really, when you consider that they see the most needy of patients in the ICU. Reminds me of the early days with Samantha, my neice. {shudders}

Step down is such a cool, cool event. One step closer to home. ;)

ramanth
03-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm so happy to hear Steve has been moved out of Intensive Care. I'm still thinking of him! *hugs*

lbaker
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
We went to see him again yesterday and his eyes opened and seemed able to focus, a little. His jaw is wired shut but he seemed to at least know we were there. He can't really follow directions "blink if you hear me" but definately seems heading for a slow but positive prognosis. Lots and lots of physical therapy and time, especially time - but so what? I will tell him you are thinking of him. Thanks dear friends.
Laurie

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Great! Another positive report. Laurie, one thing you all need to remember is the ups and downs that are involved. There are going to be good days, there are going to be fantastic days, there are going to be bad days and there are going to be horrible days. The only way you can survive the bad and horrible days is to remember the good and fantastic days, and know that more are ahead.

Oh, and Laurie, you're wrong about him not having lots and lots of friends. Even though we here at PT can't be physically in the room with him, we are all here in spirit for him, his family and you. :) {{{hugs}}}

slick
03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh, and Laurie, you're wrong about him not having lots and lots of friends. Even though we here at PT can't be physically in the room with him, we are all here in spirit for him, his family and you. {{{hugs}}}
Absolutely Debbie and I hope you will relay this back to Steve, Laurie. Please let him know that many, many people around the world are praying for him.

So glad to hear about the improvement. It will be a long hard struggle but I believe that with time, love and hard work he can get back to where he was before the accident.

Laura's Babies
03-11-2006, 09:26 PM
His card is in the mail with pictures of my babies (hopefully will make him smile when he can see them) and I mentioned to Regina about him and asked if she would send a card too and I think she is.

(Take a shoe box or box about that size to put his cards in for him. We use to put the cards on the table, window sill or around and as newer ones came in, we put the older one in the shoe box so he could someday go through them.)

How is he doing now? More alert and aware?

slick
03-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Sis:
I'm going to pick up a card for Steve tomorrow and get it in Monday's mail. Still praying fo him and his family and friends.
xoxoxo

lbaker
03-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Went to see him again today and every visit seems just a little bit better. They do have him in some sort of isolation thing where we are asked to wear the hospital coverups and such but that's ok. I didn't have to wear a mask and he looked directly at me. His mom & dad have an appt with his primary Dr on Monday so maybe, FINALLY someone will have some answers about a reasonable, honest prognosis of where we go from here, and what to expect, when. They even had a TV on in his room, I suppose to give him something to listen to instead of the beep beep beep of machines. Turner & Hootch was on so perhaps he got a little "dog fix" in his subconsious ;) How can I possibly explain how wonderful you all are to care so much for someone you've never met, well.. except for you Phred :) Bless you all.
Laurie

Cinder & Smoke
03-11-2006, 11:46 PM
How can I possibly explain how wonderful you all are to care so much
for someone you've never met ...
well... except for you Phred :)
Bless you all.
/s/ Laurie

Well, HE cared enough to drive across Pennsylvania and a lil bit more ...
I think he already understands *caring for people* ...

Just his turn to Get Some! ;)

Give him a {{{HUG}}} from all of us.

lbaker
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Well I can't say I wasn't warned about "Good days and Bad" :( Both Debbie and Laura warned me. I'm upset about the non-answers his folks and I are getting/not getting. I don't think his Mom & Dad are anyway prepared for the time this might take. This was a bad day for Steve. No response at all. But that's only the hour I was there. It could be different in an hour, right? I think it's time for me to be a bit pro-active and, can I say "pushy"?? I want. I want to show him a picture of his dog Steffie and ask him to touch the picture. Would that be OK? No one will answer, so I'll just DO IT.
I could swear that I see something in his eyes. Is this wishful thinking? NO IT'S NOT. He's there ~ I just know it.

slick
03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
{{{hugs}}} Sis. You all remain in my prayers.

gini
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Laurie - prayers being offered for Steve........and you too.

It must be so difficult to see a dear friend in this condition.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Yes, Laurie, just do it! If you end up doing something that the hospital really doesn't want you to do, they will be sure to let you know. In the meantime, there's nothing wrong with being a little.....pushy...even when it comes to getting answers out of his doctors.

Hang in there sweety. {{{hugs}}}

Laura's Babies
03-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I could swear that I see something in his eyes. Is this wishful thinking? NO IT'S NOT. He's there ~ I just know it.

That is why you all keep talking to him, play his music and BE there! Be ever so careful what is said in ear shot of him too, he only needs to hear positive things. Tell him how good he looks, who said what and even tell him a joke or two. Let him know that you know he is there and just can't acknolage it and not to let that scare him, even comment it sould be all the drugs in his system so not to be scared or afraid. Just remind him, he needs his strength to recover and let his body heal, stressing only steals his strength and he need that to heal. Talk to him as you would any other time in his life.

Yes, good days and bad days... I know those so well! Lack of information I know about too. Do not let it discourage any of you. Regina just found out last week that Eddies discharge from the hospital is only temporary, they thought 2 to 3 months at home would do him good. :(

Tell Steve I am still praying for him and have asked other to pray for him too so he has the south covered for prayers. I have another card ready to mail as soon as I get to the mailbox..

lbaker
03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
This isn't easy to write so I'll try to just say certain *points*
His mom & dad finally spoke to the main Dr and he said
Steve is not responding as well as should be [should be? after being hit by a train?] and not responding to "directions"
Although he appears to be aware of people around him they are not sure if he knows who we are.
After a month [almost] it's basically "what you see is what you get". :mad:
They should start thinking of a nursing or rehab institution for him.

I did have a wonderful talk with our PT friend EmilyTheSpoiled/Cheryl. She and I visit and she is in the health care field and she said that moving him out of the Hospital where he is, is a prudent thing to do. His immune system is down and he actually will be better off in another facility. There are some options. I am checking out NIH for Clinical Trials or other resources. Poor Steve has no insurance or assets and his folks can't cover all this.
I have phone calls and emails to make to try to find as much info as I can.
His mom & dad are elderly and understandably too distraught to "chin up and go on" right now. :( Thank you all and updates will be forthcoming. It ain't over till it's over. It "ain't" over yet.
L

Killearn Kitties
03-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh Laurie, I don't know what this means for Steve, but we are with you. Let us know how things are and what we can do to help you.

Ginger's Mom
03-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Laurie, I am so sorry. I was hoping for something much more positive. I will keep Steve, his family, and you in my prayers.

lbaker
03-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Does not look well. Drs called his mom a bit ago, he's taken a turn for the worse. Back in ICU. Lung infection. Back on ventilator. May not live through the night. Please, I am not a religious person but if there is a God please help his Mom & Dad through this. When his mom called me a few minutes ago she sounded so resigned. Help him be comfortable and without pain. Thank you.
L

Karen
03-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Big prayers on the way. For Steve, his parents, and you as well.

slick
03-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh Laurie I'm so very, very sorry. :( :( I'm reaching across the country to give you some big {{{hugs}}}. Can you feel them???

I can only imagine how hard this is on Steve's family and friends, but please, do not give up hope. I'm not a nurse, but if it's a lung infection, can't antibiotics do the trick??

Mega prayers on the way, Sis. You know where I am if you need me....24/7.
xoxoxoxo

Lady's Human
03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Big prayers for steve, Laurie, and hugs for you.

Ginger's Mom
03-20-2006, 06:10 PM
I am so sorry I will keep Steve, you, and his family in my prayers.

gini
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Dear Laurie,

God works in such strange ways. I am so sorry to hear of this turn of events.

I will keep Steve, his parents and you in my prayers.

Love, Gini

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Oh Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. We all had such hope for his recovery. I'm not going to give up hope, but I'll be praying that if he must go, that he is painfree and comfortable. I do believe that he knew you were there visiting him - the holding your hand and such just can't be denied.

What will be will be, but know that you have done everything in your power to make sure he knows he is loved.

I'm so sorry, but will be sending out positive thoughts and many many prayers for him, his family and you and your family. {{{hugs}}} :(

captain
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Laurie,

I am so sorry I only came upon this thread now, but my wishes and prayers come to you, Steve and his parents across the miles.

Lilith Cherry
03-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this... prayers and loving thoughts are with you all!

Cinder & Smoke
03-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi God ~

We've got the Candils Lighted, pawz & klawz crossed,
and we send You a Prayer ebery nite for Steve ...

Please keep Steve, his Mom & Dad, an Miz Laurie in Your Lovin Armz ...
An be sure Steve knows we all Love him!

/s/ the Prayer Pups anna Purrayer Kat

Daisy and Delilah
03-20-2006, 10:16 PM
It's so sad to hear how things are going. I can only offer my thoughts and prayers for all of you :(
(((((((HUGS)))))))

Laura's Babies
03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I have been thinking about him all day and figured I better come check on him here... Oh Geez! Prayers are on their way and will go into overtime.

Laura's Babies
03-21-2006, 10:04 AM
ANY word today?

slick
03-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I came here too hoping for an update. Haven't stopped my prayers....

gini
03-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I have dropped in here several times looking for an update too.

I woke up thinking about Steve and Laurie.

Prayers..............................

lbaker
03-21-2006, 01:12 PM
I just tried to post a reply but it didn't "take" for some reason :confused: He made it through the night but I can't get any answers from the new group in this new ICU ward. I will have to ask his folks to put me on the "OK list" again. They haven't been answering the phone today so maybe they are already there. I'll know more later I'm sure.

Karen
03-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Laurie. He - and all of you - are still in my prayers.

slick
03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
I can't imagine how hard this must be on you Laurie. So frustrating that you can't get any answers. I will keep checking in and sending prayers.

lbaker
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Just spoke with Bill/Dad. He sounded more encouraged after their visit today and their talk with another doctor. Still in ICU but they removed the "small clot" on his lung and feeling more optimistic about being able to move him, once again, into "stepdown". But not yet. Another weird problem occurs, however, because of a visit by his "sister" who is a man. He showed up in drag to visit. The nurses didn't even realize that "she" was really a he. But that, dear friends, is another story. There are not good feelings between the siblings. OMD, this is all getting Mondo Bizarro for K, J and for me :confused: When Steve, IF Steve becomes aware of surroundings, and should see... oh dear, nevermind :( "Is this for real or am I am Miami?" No offense, I think that's a quote from an old RKrumb comix :rolleyes:
I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP :rolleyes:

Karen
03-21-2006, 06:00 PM
That does sound encouraging. As for the sibling weirdness, hey, at least s/he cared enough to visit. Prayers continuing!

Laura's Babies
03-21-2006, 06:11 PM
PHEW! That is a big load off my mind!

slick
03-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Laurie, thanks so much for posting this news. Yes, it is encouraging and I know that he's got a long way to go yet. With all these PT prayers, I just know that things will continue to get better.

As for the sibling, do I read in your comment that the last time Steve saw his "brother" he was wearing pants?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-22-2006, 12:06 PM
As for the sibling, do I read in your comment that the last time Steve saw his "brother" he was wearing pants?
Sorry, but I had to giggle at this. ;)

So good to hear the encouraging news, Laurie. Hopefully all is continuing to go well. :)

lbaker
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
his "brother" was wearing pants?

culottes maybe :rolleyes: Things about the same this afternoon. Still ICU, still no response, but still alive.

slick
03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Laurie, please know that I wasn't trying to make a joke of it. I just wondered if the last time they met, his brother was a man and perhaps Steve didn't know anything about the "drag" business. It would be a shock to wake up to that.

Prayers continuing.

Laura's Babies
03-22-2006, 02:34 PM
May I add a little "lightness" and "humor" in here about now?

When they were waking Eddie up from the coma, they started to with hold his pain medicine in order to get him to respond to certain commands, which he would NOT respond to. They kept telling him he could have pain medicine when he answered their questions. He would look at them eye to eye when they asked their questions but not make ANY response.

They captured his wife one evening and told her they were really worried because he was not responding to anything they asked him. She told them to follow her and she walked into his room and asked them what were their questions and she repeted them to Eddie and he answered every ONE of them his wife asked. The BTU nurses stood there with their mouths open and asked how she did that! The answer was so simple... Eddie NEVER talked to strangers!.... (of coarse over his long stay there, he did start to talk to them)

Sooooooo, maybe the right person hasn't come to get a response out of Steve.

lbaker
03-22-2006, 02:44 PM
I know Slick, I giggled too, hence the remark about culottes. I was even going to add something about maybe silk lounging pj's but thought might be a bit much - even for a drag queen. * and certainly not while visiting someone in a hospital * What would the fashion police think :rolleyes: ;)

Laura, you may have something there. Everyone is speaking to him "sweetly and quietly" but when my son visits he speaks a little rough and says things like "hey you A-hole it's time to get your a$$ out of here" Dang if that's not when I see the most "response" of all!! Not much, but something

Laura's Babies
03-22-2006, 05:21 PM
NORMAL tones needed to be used with him.. Goodness, all that softness and sweetness could scare him to death! I know how hard it is to use those normal tones (been there myself as you know) but I was always afraid if we acted different, it would scare Eddie to death... I STILL don't think Eddie ever understood how serious and life threatening his injuries were because we ALL acted and talked normal like we were just visiting another sick person in a hospital and we always talked as if he could hear EVERYTHING we said. You just don't know what a chatter box his wife is and I think hearing her constant (NORMAL) chatter is what kept him thinking things were not that serious. Please tell them, NO hush hush tones in his room!! NORMAL or above ONLY!

lbaker
03-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Another positive visit today. Well, better, still unsure of what he may be realizing about things, or even who we are yet. Laura, your cards are posted on his wall, as is yours Gini!! The nurses and his Mom & Dad ask "who are these people?". ;) We got a little silly with him and the nurses seemed to appreciate the interplay.

Killearn Kitties
03-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Glad he's still hanging in there, Laurie! More positive vibes coming Steve's way.

Karen
03-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Glad to hear a more optimistic report. Day by day, that's all we can hope for is that the good days outweigh the bad, and that soon he will decide to respond to someone or something.

Laura's Babies
03-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Great! Did you get "that look :eek: " when you told them "who" we were? (We sure did!).

Glad to hear he is still hanging in there, it means a lot to me because I feel so "attached" to this situation with Steve and his family. It will soon be a year ago that I was there where you all are right now and I was lucky with the outcome and pray you all are too. (did you see Eddies picture I posted here? http://67.15.70.205/talk/showthread.php?t=101529 )

Tell his family AND him that I am still thinking about them and will keep them in my prayers.

slick
03-25-2006, 08:03 PM
How nice to see a postive report Laurie. Still praying for everyone. I'm very embarrassed to say that my card is not mailed yet. I have it signed and ready to go.....will do so on Monday. :o Can I address it to his name, c/o ICU??

lbaker
03-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Morning Slick, wanted to ask the hospital about the best address to use for card delivery - seeing as how this is the 3rd "room/ward" he's been in. They said if you just write "patient Steven Paul Jackson" with the hospital name and address they will find him. It's a large hospital complex and Steve Jackson isn't exactly a unique name so I would add the middle initial, although other cards without it seem to arrive OK. Thanks for your (everyones) support. He may not be aware of it but it truly is a comfort to his folks.
Lb

lbaker
04-01-2006, 12:49 PM
GOOD GOOD VISIT TODAY!! He still can't talk or really respond alot but we certainly saw more interaction today. AND ~ the doc said we could, and should, bring his dog Steffie in to see him. Stef will be allowed in the hospital and the doc wants him to be "stimulated" and thinks seeing (or feeling) her presence will help. So.. I wont be able to visit next week, business trip to SoCal but Ken & Jen will and will play him some music. Karen, your card created some questions from hospital staff, as in "Miss Hoppy? The card says "ask Laurie". So.. who is Miss Hoppy?" I calmly answered... "Why, it's the Mayor's Bunny". They didn't ask any more questions :p Thank you.

Killearn Kitties
04-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Great news! You must let us know how he responds to his dog!

Karen
04-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Excellent! :) Imagine someone not knowing who Miss Hoppy is! Glad you were there to clear that up for them!

lbaker
04-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Sorry friends, it appears that they are expecting his life to continue for 24 to 48 hours right now. His lungs and other innards are collapsing and life line is almost "flat line". We just returned home from a visit. Poor man. We sang and held his hand. Somehow I think he knows. He and my husband and their gnarrly dogs are gonna raise Hell in a few hours. I will miss him. :( I will miss him.
L

Karen
04-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Our prayers are with you and all his loved ones.

lbaker
04-13-2006, 08:37 PM
oh karen, I'm so sad right now - what do I do?

slick
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh Laurie....this is just so sad. :( I'm very sorry for all of this and will be saying lots of prayers. You know where I am if you need me.
{{{hugs}}}
PS: I'm at work now but will be at home the rest of the weekend.

Karen
04-13-2006, 09:16 PM
oh karen, I'm so sad right now - what do I do?

Oh, honey, write him a letter that you can read to him, and tuck in with him, telling how much you care, and what you want him to tell your husband when they meet beyond the Bridge.

Then write yourself all the funny, happy, or meaningful times you and he shared - a certain road trip or two, and then put that away to revisit in the future.

I am sending you great, great big hugs. If we were near each other, I'd volunteer to come over, give you great big hugs in person, then sing you all the saddest or most prayerful songs I know until you either ran out of tears, or fell asleep, or felt better enough to sing along with me.

And if you know it, sing or imagine me singing to you;

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.

And when I see you in Findlay, for Memorial Day, I'll hug you in person, and sing for you sitting on the Palk Bench. Okay?

Love you!

Daisy and Delilah
04-13-2006, 09:20 PM
{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh Laurie, I'm so so sorry. We all had such hope for him, and for him to have come this far and now this.... :(

I think Karen has a wonderful idea about writing a letter to him. As you're writing it, think of all the good times you've had with him, and the sad and hard times that he was there for you and you there for him.

Will be sending out positive thoughts and prayers for you and the rest of his family.

I'm so sorry. :( {{{hugs}}}

Ginger's Mom
04-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh Laurie, I am so sorry. Many {{{Hugs}}} are coming your way. :(

Corinna
04-13-2006, 09:52 PM
HUG so sorry to hear this all. HUG

Alysser
04-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I just want to say I have been following this thread. I NEVER posted and I apologize for that. But I was and will continue to send prayers for poor Steve. I'm so sorry to here this news. :(

zippy-kat
04-13-2006, 10:04 PM
{{{{{hugs.}}}}}

I'm so sorry, dear friend, so very sorry. :(

Edwina's Secretary
04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Oh Laurie....I am so sorry. This is such a difficult time for you. I wish there were more I could say or do... something to ease you pain.

You are in my thoughts....

Cinder & Smoke
04-13-2006, 11:06 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Prayers offered for Steve, his Family, You and your Family.

Safe Trip to The Bridge when it's time, Steve.

{{{Hugs}}}

/s/ Phred

shais_mom
04-13-2006, 11:19 PM
words cannot express my sympathy my lovely Laurie.
sending you and his family hugs and love across the miles.

RedHedd
04-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Laurie - I'm so sorry. How hard this must be for you. Prayers going out your way and the fur kids send gentle head bonkies.

gini
04-14-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh Laurie - prayers on the way for you and Steve and his family.

Perhaps soon - Steve will have all of the answers - and we are left here to continue to struggle through our lives -

You two are too close - he will not leave you - but I am sure will be by your side when you least expect it.

Killearn Kitties
04-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Oh Laurie, to have come so far ...

I'm so sorry to hear this, my thoughts are with you all.

lbaker
04-14-2006, 05:32 AM
deceased time was 9:09 last night.

Killearn Kitties
04-14-2006, 05:47 AM
What can I say? This is such a body blow to his parents and to you and your family. If only we could be there in person for you.

Love and hugs.

slick
04-14-2006, 06:21 AM
:( :( :( RIP Steve. You are and always will be loved.

....you too Laurie.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

trayi52
04-14-2006, 07:16 AM
I am just now seeing this thread, Laurie. I am so sorry to hear about Steve.
Prayers are on the way. Also big ((((Hugs)))) for you and Steve's family.

Willie

emily_the_spoiled
04-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Laurie, I am so sorry to read this

I am in town all weekend if you would like me to come over and give you a hug in person...

RIP Steve, God speed to the Bridge

sasvermont
04-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Laurie and friends, you are in my thoughts. We are all going to go to the bridge some day. Some go earlier than we want or expect.

(((((((((((((((((Steve))))))))))))))))))))))

Vela
04-14-2006, 07:30 AM
I'm so sorry. I know this is breaking your heart and his family's heart. At least he is no longer in pain, although that is small comfort at the moment. God bless, I'm sorry.

Alysser
04-14-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm so sorry:(My heart is going out to Steves family.

Randi
04-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Dear Laurie, I'm so very sorry to hear Steve has passed away, I know all too well how it feels. :( :( I hope it will be a comfort to know he's not suffering anymore.

Rest in Peace, Steve.

Sending lots of (((((hugs)))))

momoffuzzyfaces
04-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Aw, Laurie, I'm so sorry!

7 years ago I lost my father near Easter time. We had his funeral on Good Friday. It was strangly comforting to be reminded that the One who created us all has also given us eternal life.

May you and Steve's family find peace and strength in the coming days.

(((HUGS))) for all of you.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-14-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm so sorry, Laurie. The only comfort is that he is now pain free and back to his old healthy self.

RIP, Steve. :(

{{{hugs}}}

Karen
04-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Rest in Peace, Steve.

Corinna
04-14-2006, 09:28 AM
hug hug hug Prayers for you and his family.

Lori Jordan
04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
My thoughts and Prayers are with you!

Cataholic
04-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I am so very sorry to read of Steve's passing. Gentle hugs to you, his family, and those that loved him. :(

RedHedd
04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
{{{{{{{{LAURIE}}}}}}}}}}}}} I'm so sorry for your loss.

ramanth
04-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh Laurie, I am so sorry. :( :( :(

*HUGS*

anna_66
04-14-2006, 02:18 PM
:( So sorry to hear this Laurie.

Cinder & Smoke
04-14-2006, 02:29 PM
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

God's newest Angel got his wings last night -
and is now spared any more pain and suffering.

It was a pleasure and an honor to have met you, Steve ...
try to keep the BridgeKids entertained till I get up there
and we all meet again.
Gonna miss you. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

{{{Hugs}}} of Sympathy to Steve's Family and Laurie.

/s/ http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif Phred

krazyaboutkatz
04-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear about Steve's passing.:( RIP Steve.:( Please take care Laurie. (((HUGS)))

Ginger's Mom
04-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Just to let you know that I am still thinking of you Laurie. {{{Hugs}}}

Daisy and Delilah
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm thinking of you too Laurie.
{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

K9karen
04-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Sorry to have just seen this, Laurie. My deepest condolences to Steve's family and yours. God's gotten another angel.

lbaker
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
There is a weblink to the funeral home www.pumphreyfuneralhome.com where you can search for Jackson, Stephen Paul - there is a click to go to "sign the guestbook" or some such. I am one of three. The first two are employees of the funeral home. I know Bill & JoAnne (his parents) will see this "guestbook". If you wrote in response to this thread and/or to me privately... please just say a word or two? :( He didn't have many friends, well.. not that his parents are aware.) Except for the "mystery cards" he received at the hospital ;) Thanks.

AbbyMom
04-19-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm so sorry, Laurie. My deepest condolences. I have signed the guestbook, and I hope others will, too.
Thinking of you,
Pat

Karen
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
I signed it as well.

critter crazy
04-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I signed it as well!