PDA

View Full Version : Need a new sofa - best covering???

sirrahbed
02-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Our twenty year old sofa is looking sad and we want to replace it. It is in a room that we do not use often, but the cats use it to look out of the window....

What would you guys recommend?? We are thinking about leather. Our recliners are leather and yes they have scratches from claws, but seem to be holding up well. The cats are pretty good about using their scartching posts, but the furniture still gets plenty of wear from back claws and playing. One saleslady (who owns six cats herself) said she had heard that microfiber was the covering of choice from what she has heard. It is pretty and looks a bit like suede - but only comes in solids.

I like leather but really want something more warm and cozy looking - a plush patterned fabric maybe.

Any comments or suggestions for me???

Uabassoon
02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Have you considered getting a couch cover? Alexa just got one for the living room couch and it's great. The couch was still comfy but it wasn't looking so great from all the years of wear and tear. The cover ran around $60 and the best part is that it's easy to wash.

sirrahbed
02-22-2006, 01:47 PM
Have you considered getting a couch cover? Alexa just got one for the living room couch and it's great. The couch was still comfy but it wasn't looking so great from all the years of wear and tear. The cover ran around $60 and the best part is that it's easy to wash.

That is what we did first Laura - but the sofa itself has worn springs and is even propped up with plywood :o It really needs replacement. We got plenty of use out of it though!

emily_the_spoiled
02-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I got a mciro-fiber sleeper sofa just over a year ago and it is holding up great to 6 cats. I have a caramel coloured sofa and I have a number of very colourful pillows on there to give it some life. BTW the cats love the microfiber because it retains heat, so it is nice and warm for them :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
02-22-2006, 02:10 PM
One of my friends has a very nice and expensive microfiber couch and one cat. His cat is not destructive and is even declawed in the front (I know a bad thing but the cat came declawed, he was a rescue cat) yet his couch is falling apart, getting small rips/scratches/fuzzy ball things, he thinks from the cats back claws from jumping to the top of the back of the couch and on the arm rests all the time (pretty much the only areas on the couch that is messed up and the cat happens to spend a lot of time in both spots).

My other friend has a regular priced microfiber couch and 4 cats and her couch is holding up nicely, after 2 or so years.

I guess it just depends on what brand or something?

catmandu
02-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I wish I could help,but the only way I would get a new couch is if someone threw one out that I could use.
That way,I dont lose if the Found Cats get frisky.

Logan
02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Debbie, all I can tell you is that in 3+ years, our leather couch has no issues, even though Mimi and Butter have their claws intact and my dogs sneak up there, periodically (when "Daddy" isn't watching). I say "leather" is the best bet, but I am no expert!

Logan

catnapper
02-22-2006, 03:21 PM
I just got a microfibre couch and its great! Nobody's even thought of scratching on it and its sooooo comfy!

Donnaj4962
02-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I was hoping that Catnapper would respond to this thread. I remembered you writing that you had gotten a new microfiber couch recently! :D

I have no experience with them... other than knowing that I think they are beautiful! And I hope to get one when my current couch "grows old".

Good luck with your choice... and have fun shopping! ;)

Abby&Buddy'sMom
02-22-2006, 03:53 PM
Good question!! I am also wondering about this too as I also will be needing new furniture in the near future :) I now have velour as my furniture fabric and the cats dont ever scratch it, but I was curious about the micro-fiber too.

kimlovescats
02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Our couch has been WONDERFUL! We bought it 4 years ago when we moved into our house, and it doesn't have ANY picks!!! With all of our cats, that is miraculous! :p

I don't know how to describe it, except to say that it is a very tightly wound fiber. You can tell by rubbing it and scratching your nail across it, that it wouldn't "pick" easily. I will see if I can attach a picture that sort of shows the fabric.

OK, this one of Grace shows the fabric pretty well. This couch is an Ashley brand couch.

Kfamr
02-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Microfiber is GREAT!!!
As you know, we have 3 dogs but we also have a microfiber chair & couch. Our dogs like to use the couch to ricochet off of while playing. They have not put one mark in it!

To clean it up, all you do is take a damp rag and wipe it. Liquids do not soak thru and fur is really easily vacuumed or brushed off.

I highly recommend it for anyone with pets or small children. Very durable.

Here's a picture of our's...
http://petevents.com/~simba/Post1-2-2006/35.jpg

People always ask how we keep all of the fur off of ours, really it usually just ends up falling off. It rarely sticks.

catnapper
02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
People always ask how we keep all of the fur off of ours, really it usually just ends up falling off. It rarely sticks.
You're right! I never saee hair on the couch! I was certain that it would be a huge hair collector, but quite the opposite.

sirrahved
02-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Mom,

We LOVE our microfiber couch! Pet hair doesn't stick, nails can't scratch it, and it's WASHABLE! Leather is very nice, but it doesn't look cozy. I think for the front room, you're right, cozy would be better.

G535
02-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Something in a dark velvet type material would show up the cat hairs to perfection! :D

Sorry, I'm no help at all, I haven't seen this microfibre stuff and around here the cat owns the furniture. :)

Don Juan's mom
02-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Microfiber is GREAT!!!
As you know, we have 3 dogs but we also have a microfiber chair & couch. Our dogs like to use the couch to ricochet off of while playing. They have not put one mark in it!

Here's a picture of our's...
http://petevents.com/~simba/Post1-2-2006/35.jpg

And how nice of the dog to let you use it! :D

Liz

orangemm
02-23-2006, 04:45 AM
We reupholstered a couch of ours with a jazzy floral fabric 2 years ago because the original dark blue showed every single cat hair and they clung to the fabric.

The replacement fabric is very tightly woven, with a slight sheen. It's perfect, because the cats lounge on the back of it, yet the fur doesn't stick to it. It's not a plastic or vinyl; it's cotton, but somehow resists all that fur.

If you're shopping for a sofa, look for something like that, something with a tight weave. Ours has palm fronds and lavender flowers, but it isn't fussy, more tropical looking.

There's a picture of it somewhere; he's really proud of it because WE did the work! (I'll try to find it)

Kfamr....love the picture with the dog! Guess who is the boss in that house? :D

prechrswife
02-23-2006, 08:53 AM
We bought leather a couple of years ago, and it is great as far as being easy to clean. It doesn't collect pet hair like our old furniture. However, we have had issues with scratches because of the cats leaping off of the furniture. Their back claws have marked it up quite a bit. We also have a micro-fiber rocker/recliner. It is GREAT!! It doesn't collect hair either, and they have not put a mark on it with their claws. So, I would agree with those who have suggested the microfiber furniture.

QueenScoopalot
02-23-2006, 10:02 PM
I have always thought that microfiber would attract fur...guess I'm wrong on that one. I read some time back that a white heavy canvas cover is great for pet owners as it can be run through the wash w/bleach and come out looking great. I'm eventually going to be getting a new living room set (or second hand as things don't last long here :rolleyes:) , so I'll keep the microfiber in mind. ;) There's a company that's manufacturing teflon(?) coated material for pet owners...that's what I need lol! ;)

Jayna78
02-25-2006, 10:35 PM
We moved into the house we bought in May 2005. When we moved in, we had one sofa, chair-and-a-half and a recliner, which was not enough for the many rooms to furnish in this house. So, around Memorial Day, we took advantage of awesome sales, and we bought a nice wine-colored couch and love seat in microfiber fabric. Not too pricey (less expensive than our old set of furniture, but it looks classier and seems to be holding up better), and it seems to be working out just fine. I will say that since it is a darker color, you can see cat hair on it (not the dark brown tabby fur, but the orange fur from Leo and the white fur from Claudia). Most of the time, it easily comes off with a lint roller. :) Good stuff. Beats the heck out of chenille fabric, which is what our older set is made of (the recliner should be reupholstered or covered with a slipcover of some kind - never saw one for a recliner, though - it is in bad shape, because though our cats are usually pretty good, the scratched the heck out of it) - the couch & chair-and-a-half are still good fabric-wise, but fur gets stuck in those like crazy and is much harder to get off of there.

We love microfiber so much that we recently went to Value City Furniture and bought a couch and a loveseat for our 3-season room, which was in desperate need of furtiture other than collapsible tailgating chairs! This time, we bought a nice neutral light beige, and the furniture is just wonderful (and though it looks possibly more expensive & stylish than our other two sets, it's the cheapest furniture set we've bought so far). :) The brown tabby fur from Leila & Bailey shows up on this furniture and Claudia & Leo's fur doesn't, but again, it's easily removed by the lint brush. You can always dress up a solid colored couch with throw pillows in different patterns/fabrics. Microfiber is a great choice!

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Leather, no doubt about that! We have our set for 18 uears now, and it is still in good shape!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/zaz14.jpg