PDA

View Full Version : High cholesterol? :(

beeniesmom
02-22-2006, 12:35 PM
On the 18th SAMS Club and Walmart were having a free Cholesterol screening.
I thought to myself: what the heck, I'm not in a rush. Hubby's car was getting serviced at the tire shop there so I got in line.

I've never (that I can rememeber) had it checked.
The nice nurse pricked my finger and measured it.
It was 229. She said that is high.
I know I've been abusing of the mac n cheese and bacon in sandwiches. French fried at Mc'Ds once every 2 weeks.
I haven't eaten any of that since then.
Is 229 really that high?
What are "good" foods?
I seem to LOVE the bad foods.
I'm scared and want to be healthy.

Hubbies results were very good. I know it has to be what I am eating for lunch that spiked it. :( We have lunch separately.

rosethecopycat
02-22-2006, 12:59 PM
229 is high, but not that high.

Mine is only a couple points high at 207, they want me to 'knock it down' myself. My husband, on the other hand, was 295. He got Zocor to help him.
It cut it in half.

He's 10 years younger than I am, and I don't want to see a 34 yr old on long term drugs. The bad part is he eats whatever he wants, and I have to watch out what I eat.

I think the best thing to eat is fish. Salmon.
Lucky we love it and never get sick of it.

Try the Omega Fish oil pills too. Watch out for the 'fish burps' though, I can't handle that.

Don't expect to see immediate results either, have it checked every 6 months and try to gain a little ground each year.

Good luck to you.

Jadapit
02-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Here is a pretty good site on what to eat and what not to eat if you are trying to watch your cholesterol. http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/low-cholesterol-diet

beeniesmom
02-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Thank you.
Fortunately, I like Salmon.
I don't want to take anything (medication) for it until I know I can control it.
I got a sample of the fish oil at the heart healthy event too.
I suppose I'll take them.

beeniesmom
02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Here is a pretty good site on what to eat and what not to eat if you are trying to watch your cholesterol. http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/low-cholesterol-diet

Thanks!
I am having a handful of pretzels now. :)
Good site.

poofy
02-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I have been battling mine for a couple of years now, i had a couple of strokes because it was almost 400..sigh..any way, i started taking a couple of spoons full of granuael lecithin in a small amt of milk evey day and it went down in about 6 most to about 300 and now its about 270, so im still working on it..my left eye droops now because of one of the strokes..I try to watch what I eat which was easier by my self but now i have others living here and its harder..lol..

K9soul
02-22-2006, 02:16 PM
229 is a bit high but as rosethecopycat said it's not that high. The test can vary a lot depending on what you've been eating recently and even what you ate that day. Usually a fasting cholesterol test is more accurate in showing whether you are really high or not. Even fasting, I can't see them putting you on medication for a cholesterol of 229. It also depends how much of that number is the good cholesterol (HDL) and how much is the bad (LDL). Also how high your triglycerides are. If it's something that concerns you I'd go in to the doctor's for a fasting lab test and see what those numbers are and what the doctor recommends. I really don't think you have too much to worry about though right now :)

buttercup132
02-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm pritty sure i have VERY high colesterol(sp?) I eat out somewhere every lunch....its hard cause theres no HEALTHY place to eat or I would. I think if they made a healthy take out place ti would make more money then mcdonalds.

beeniesmom
02-22-2006, 02:21 PM
229 is a bit high but as rosethecopycat said it's not that high. The test can vary a lot depending on what you've been eating recently and even what you ate that day. Usually a fasting cholesterol test is more accurate in showing whether you are really high or not. Even fasting, I can't see them putting you on medication for a cholesterol of 229. It also depends how much of that number is the good cholesterol (HDL) and how much is the bad (LDL). Also how high your triglycerides are. If it's something that concerns you I'd go in to the doctor's for a fasting lab test and see what those numbers are and what the doctor recommends. I really don't think you have too much to worry about though right now :)

I am going to have a more accurate test done in about a month and watch/write down everything (or most) of what I eat.

I had breakfast the morning of the test too.

ParNone
02-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Lower your sugar and complex carbs and that will do more to lower your cholesterol, then lowering high fat proteins. I was on a protein diet for 6 months, eating chicken, steak, eggs, cheese, bacon, etc. and my cholestrol dropped to 110. Yes, you read that right 110. I'm not suggesting you go on a protein only diet, just showing you that it's not the high fat proteins that are the cause of the issue and only focusing on reducing them will do lil' to solve the problem.

Eat whole grain foods and lots of veggies to get your carbs, vs starches, sugar and processed grains. Keep fruit in moderation too.

Par...

chocolatepuppy
02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
My cholesterol was too high and my doctor advised me to try to eat healthier, exercise more and lose weight. I didn't listen at the time. Well on 2/21/05 at my appt., after seeing my bloodwork he gave me a prescription for cholesterol pills. I went and filled them that night. I stared at that bottle and decided *I* wash bigger than those pills. I started a healthier way of life, ate 2,000 calories a day, exercised more and tried to watch my fats.I did not take the pills. A few months later, and 20 some lbs lighter, my cholesterol was down! I have since lost more weight (40lbs total) and continue to stick close to 2,000 calories and exercise. I have a tablet on my kitchen table and write down everything I eat, everyday. It took that bottle of pills to convince me to change my ways. ;) Yesterday, one year to the date, I flushed those pills! I kept them all this time as a reminder.
I don't know if your weight is a factor, but regardless, living healthy may help. I wish you good luck! :)

poofy
02-22-2006, 06:58 PM
My cholesterol was too high and my doctor advised me to try to eat healthier, exercise more and lose weight. I didn't listen at the time. Well on 2/21/05 at my appt., after seeing my bloodwork he gave me a prescription for cholesterol pills. I went and filled them that night. I stared at that bottle and decided *I* wash bigger than those pills. I started a healthier way of life, ate 2,000 calories a day, exercised more and tried to watch my fats.I did not take the pills. A few months later, and 20 some lbs lighter, my cholesterol was down! I have since lost more weight (40lbs total) and continue to stick close to 2,000 calories and exercise. I have a tablet on my kitchen table and write down everything I eat, everyday. It took that bottle of pills to convince me to change my ways. ;) Yesterday, one year to the date, I flushed those pills! I kept them all this time as a reminder.
I don't know if your weight is a factor, but regardless, living healthy may help. I wish you good luck! :)

That is so great you were able to do that..you really did change it for your self..

auggie
02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Chocolatepuppy, that is awesome!
My cholesterol is high and my doctor keeps pushing those pills.
So far I refused. (I hate taking any kind of medication unless it’s absolutely necessary.)
I much rather get it down with diet and exercise.
Your success is a true inspiration for me.

Lizzie
02-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Doesn't genetics have a role to play in this also? Some people are always going to have a battle with high "bad" cholesterol for that reason. That being said, my father died of a massive coronary at the age of 65 (6 years older than I am now), as did his father before him. He had very, very clogged arteries. My brothers and I (we live thousands of miles apart but apparently all decided this on our own) took this lesson to heart and all eat well and exercise. I do treat myself, in fact I just finished a macadmia toffee chocolate cake, but I've been vegan for many years and that seems to have helped. I keep getting things like "you're a cardiologist's dream" written across my blood results, which I find hilarious. Not that I should rest on my laurels since it could well be that we take after our mothers' side of the family and we'll all get cancer. Swings and roundabouts!

Giselle
02-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Doesn't genetics have a role to play in this also? Some people are always going to have a battle with high "bad" cholesterol for that reason. That being said, my father died of a massive coronary at the age of 65 (6 years older than I am now), as did his father before him. He had very, very clogged arteries. My brothers and I (we live thousands of miles apart but apparently all decided this on our own) took this lesson to heart and all eat well and exercise. I do treat myself, in fact I just finished a macadmia toffee chocolate cake, but I've been vegan for many years and that seems to have helped. I keep getting things like "you're a cardiologist's dream" written across my blood results, which I find hilarious. Not that I should rest on my laurels since it could well be that we take after our mothers' side of the family and we'll all get cancer. Swings and roundabouts!
Yup. I come from a family of morbidly high cholesterol. I think my uncle's cholesterol level reading ran about 400, while my mother's was in the lower 300's upper 200's. Like it was mentioned before, a simple "229" doesn't do much for you because there is "good" cholesterol (HDL) and "bad" cholesterol (LDL). Ideally, you want more HDL and less LDL, so a blank 229 doesn't read much. If your HDL is higher than your LDL, the doctor won't put you on medication, but he probably will suggest increasing exercise and eating more whole grains.

You should examine what you eat daily because those French fries and bacon strips you get once every two weeks do start to add up, especially if you don't get enough exercise as is. My mother, in particular, made a permanent diet change when the doctor started recommending her to eat 80 mg of Lipitor. She quit eating meat, substituted her daily bowl of white rice with oatmeal, ate another bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and ate more fish and vegetables. Her blood tests came back and I believe she lowered her cholesterol somewhere in the 180's, literally *half* of her previous reading. Her LDL levels dropped while her HDL levels increased. Simple lifestyle changes like substituting that hamburger with a whole-wheat sandwich (no bacon!) can do small wonders. ;)

pnance
02-23-2006, 12:00 AM
Mine was right in that range I think 220 with my LDL covering most of that when I had it measured. The Dr. said I had 2 options, drop it on my own or I get pills the rest of my life. I'm horrible at taking anything so that meant diet. Those who said a staight number doesn't tell a whole lot are right. If you LDL covers most of it then yes you definately want to do something about it soon. If your HDL is higher it's not as bad. Fish is high in cholestrol but HDL not LDL. Yours may be higher than your husbands not because of your lunch but because of genetics. I have a friend who eats things that you wouldn't believe, fried food, dairy, etc. Everything your not supposed to and her's is around 120 (I look at fried food and mine goes off the charts.... ;) ). That said my Dr. recommended flaxseed oil (comes in gel caps) and can be found at a vitamin store. I also cut out a lot of dairy switched from milk to soy milk, etc. My big weekness was/is ice cream, cutting that was painful. Once in a while I'll splurge but it's no longer an every day treat. I lost about 30 lbs and dropped my colestol to 160.

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Last year my 16 year old daughter had it tested because she was tired all the time. It was on 369 :eek: :eek: . As she is eating healthy already, the doc said it must be something she herited from her original parents....!
She is taking pill now, and the level is down to 240 now. She will have to be careful for the ret of her life!! Good thing we had it checked!!

beeniesmom
02-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Everyone:

Thank you so much for your responses.
I feel better and yes, I want to do it on my own.
Since it is not terribly high I know I can do it myself.

Annette you will be my inspiration. Yes, I am a bit overweight. I hide it well because I am tall but that is no excuse. I should do myself a favor and lose about 30 pounds.

I think genetics do play a role. My dad has a hard time keeping his bad cholesterol down. He is always on a diet. :(

I will have my BLT's without the B. :)

I don't have a problem cutting the sweets.... it's the salty things that I LOVE!

Pam
02-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw this thread as just the other day I was thinking about starting one just like it myself. I thought that I might probably be the only one with cholesterol problems since so many PTers are younger than I. :o I didn't realize that age didn't play as big a part as I thought.

For years my cholesterol was a steady 180 and then about a year or so ago it went up and also my blood pressure, which was also normal in the past (actually low), went up to the point where I am on BP meds.

My bad (LDL) cholesterol runs almost a steady 216. My good (HDL) cholesterol is good according to the doctor but I don't remember the number. For that reason, he has asked me to try and reduce the number myself by eliminating dairy, fats, etc. I have also started taking fish oil tablets and red yeast rice. The doctor also mentioned drinking more grape juice (from red grapes) by day and having a glass of red wine at night. I am following his orders on this. :) I don't really have a weight issue although would be happy to lose about 10 lbs. as my clothes would fit better :o so I am really puzzled as to why all of this has just begun in just the last year or so.

There is a history of stroke in my family (father and father's sister) so I take all of this very seriously. :eek:

beeniesmom
02-23-2006, 12:00 PM
I didn't realize that age didn't play as big a part as I thought.

I'm 29, how old are you Pam?

Pam
02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm 29, how old are you Pam?

I am 59 :o . My daughter, who is Christiansmommy, will be 29 next month. :o

carole
02-23-2006, 03:40 PM
I have found sticking to a low fat diet is the best thing i can do to keep my low, mine is really good , but my mother has high cholesterol and it appears to be the hereditary kind, she too was fine at my age, so i really have to keep an eye on it, we have different readings here in low numbers so i have no idea whether your's is way too high or not, but remember it depends on the good cholesterol and bad cholesterol readings(cannot remember them right now like the HDL or something) more than just one figure.