PDA

View Full Version : My little survivor!

Glacier
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Two years ago tonight, a wolf tried to make Hobo his dinner. I know of three dogs who survived wolf attacks that winter. I know of at least 20 who weren't as lucky as Hobo. Hobo saved his entire team that night. If he had not slipped his collar and ran as fast as his little legs would go, I am sure more dogs would have been injured or more likely killed. One of his teammates was also badly injured. Diesel had less severe injuries than Hobo. He made a complete recovery too, although his gait is funky now.

Hobo's injuries were extensive. His underside was essentially ripped open from his ribs to his tail. For a few weeks following the attack, his very survival was in doubt. My vet was quite sure Hobo would never regain control of his bowels. As the wolf chased him, it grabbed his tail. All the muscles that support his tail and bodily functions were torn. It took months to get Hobo back on his feet. There was no skin left to close many of his wounds and several on his back legs would not heal. Then an infection moved into the bones of his front leg almost leading to an amputation.

Through everything, Hobo was still happy. He would lick my face as I cleaned his wounds, he tried to stand up when I came into the room. He never fussed about taking his pills, never snarled as I flushed the drains sticking out everywhere. I was a stranger to Hobo at this point. He was not my dog when he was attacked. I was taking care of a injured musher's team while he was hospitalized. Telling Jim that two of his dogs had been brutalized in my yard was the least fun conversation I've ever had! Fortunately, he was on large doses of morphine which cushioned the news!

Hobo was never supposed to be able to run in harness again. His owner is a very competitive sprint musher. He asked if we would be interested in keeping him. Of course, after a week of watching this little fighter, I could not refuse and Hobo joined the pack.

Hobo defied all odds. He has full control of everything, except sometimes his enthusiasm! He is a hard working sled dog who hates to be left behind. He is covered with physical scars. The fur on his belly never grew back. He can't be outside in the cold for long anymore or he gets frostbite. He has some emotional scars too. Hobo hates the dark now. He will not sleep outside. He has a nest in a closet where he likes to sleep.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/hoboanniver.jpg
This is how Hobo marked the anniversary of his near death--he ran 15km in swing with much delight!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Sled%20dogs/psycho.jpg
A tired Hobo is a quiet Hobo, at least for a few minutes. He thought he should come for two runs today!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/new%20camera%20dogs/psycho.jpg
One of my favorite pictures of him. The missing piece of his ear is one of the scars from the wolf.

Hobo's attack was the start of a rotten month around here--Hoodoo died a week later and then everyone got kennel cough. Hobo was my little ray sunshine though it all. I'm pretty sure Hoodoo had it planned that way. I wish they had got to know each other. What a pair the two goofiest dogs in history would have been!

Happy Anniversary doesn't seem like the right phrase for this occasion. I'm sorry your road to our house was so painful, Hobo, but I am thrilled you ended up here! I can't imagine how we ever survived without our little psycho puppy!

Husky_mom
02-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Yay for Hobo!!! to a great dog who went through a great deal and got to live at a great place with a great woman YAY!!!

give that Hobo a big kiss from me and the puppers, Love that little Psycho of yours.........

*sled_dog*
02-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Way to go Hobo!!! :D :D You are a Beautiful Boy!! I'd never be able to tell you had scars!! ;) :D

Vela
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
That's an awesome story, not many of us could tell such a tale about acquiring our companions. Would make a good movie=) I know it made ME cry. Hobo, you are a miracle dog and few of those come to us all in a lifetime. WTG buddy.

Corinna
02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
has it been a year already I can't beleive it . Glad to see him happily celebrating

captain
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I still remember that ......... and BOY doesn't he look such a happy boy!!!!

CountryWolf07
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Wow! Already a year? Hobo.. you're a lucky boy.. :) Keep smilin'!

Pembroke_Corgi
02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Poor Hobo, that must have been terrible... :( I'm glad he was able to make such a great recovery. He looks so healthy in his pictures you would never guess he was nearing death at one time.

poofy
02-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Way to go ..your a great little guy..so glad you came thur so good :)

finn's mom
02-21-2006, 08:10 PM
What a doll. I think I remember his beginnings, that's crazy that it's been two years! What a lovely sweet dog.

k9krazee
02-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Oh Hobo! You really are an amazing dog!!!! :D

Ginger's Mom
02-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Wow, give that little survivor a great big hug for me. Oh heck give him two, one for each year. ;)

Daisy and Delilah
02-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Hobo, we're so happy to be able to see that handsome smiling face and know that you survived that terrible ordeal. What a good boy you are!! :D
Great story Glacier. That boy sure has been through alot.

cyber-sibes
02-21-2006, 10:50 PM
((((((hugs)))) and more (((((hugs))))) Hobo! You're an inspiration!

jesse_3
02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I never knew that, I must've joined after the attack...Hobo, you sure are courageous, and you really do deserve a metal for saving all the other dogs from the wolf. (((((HUGS TO YOU AND HOBO)))))

Steph and Jes

K9karen
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
A true HERO with a heart of gold. What an amazing story!

gemini9961
02-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Oh Hobo what an ordeal. I never knew about this since I was not on PT when it happened but to hear about it now and know that you are alive and well is just wonderful. Tamara you have such awesome stories about your dogs and so eloquently tell them to us. I feel honored to be a part of all of this. Way to go Hobo in saving your team and surviving all of that. :)

lv4dogs
02-22-2006, 08:20 AM
He sure is a trooper. It's nice to see him celebrating doing something he enjoys. He's such a cutie! :)

Queen of Poop
02-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Hobo, you are a true hero, in many ways. I am very glad you survived and now thrive. A big hug and kiss for you sweetie. And a big hug for your mommy who nursed you back to health.

Jadapit
02-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Wow, thats an amazing story! What a tropper you are Hobo. He is such a beauty. I love his eyes. Do you see a lot of wolves where you are?

Glacier
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Wow, thats an amazing story! What a tropper you are Hobo. He is such a beauty. I love his eyes. Do you see a lot of wolves where you are?

I don't see them very often, but I see their tracks all the time. I heard a couple years ago that 60 or so wolves live within the city of Whitehorse--or at least claim it as part of their territory.

kimlovescats
02-22-2006, 09:22 PM
WOW, what a story! The story of Hobo could be made into a movie! What a story of survival, love and victory! Thanks for sharing this, and PLEASE give that precious pup some extra kisses from me!!! :D