PDA

View Full Version : submisive urinating?

dab_20
02-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Sammy pees when he's scared and excited. It's not like alot of pee, only a little. Is this the same as submissive urinating? How do you stop it?

Jessika
02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Peeing when you are excited is not the same as submissive urination.

I know that in puppies and females they don't have as much control over their bladder, so when they get overly excited some can pee or dribble. Sometimes its a medical condition though, like I know this isn't a dog but my youngest sister had problems when she was REALLY young with bladder control. They had to put her on Ditropan to help control the muscle.

How old is Sammy again??

wolf_Q
02-20-2006, 09:29 PM
This seems to be very common in cocker spaniels. I see a lot of cockers at my work and almost all of them do this.

dab_20
02-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Sammy is 6 months old.

I knew it was common in Cockers. Do you know of anything that can help it... or should I just live with it?

Jessika
02-20-2006, 09:38 PM
He is still a puppy, so that could be a factor; he may just not have complete control over it yet! As he grows and matures physically that should help. Otherwise, call the vet? Since Wolf_Q pointed it out, cockers DO seem to have this problem more than other breeds so if that's the case with Sammy then your vet should know how to help :) But I would wait until he is at least a year and then see if the problem is even still there

dab_20
02-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks for the replies! :)

charlestongirl
03-03-2006, 09:30 PM
My 2 year old dog does it. It used to be a lot when she was younger; now it's better but occasionally when she's really excited (right when we come home after being gone a longer time) she'll still dribble some. She doesn't have a medical problem. We just try to keep her off the carpet and on the tile when we first get home.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-07-2006, 07:57 AM
I too see this all the time at work, but almost always with female cockers. I usually go outside to greet the female cockers otherwise I'm almost guaranteed to be cleaning up a little puddle of pee.

dab_20
03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I too see this all the time at work, but almost always with female cockers. I usually go outside to greet the female cockers otherwise I'm almost guaranteed to be cleaning up a little puddle of pee.

Yep, my RB cocker, Missy, peed when you first greeted her.