PDA

View Full Version : My ultrasound update (2-20-06)

Christiansmommy
02-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Today was the long awaited ultrasound. They spent a ton of time looking at his heart (which is where they thought they might have seen concern before). Anyway, the tech looked at the baby for a good 45 minutes, and then the doctor came in and gave us the results. The doctor’s opinion concerning his heart was, quote, “ If I was a betting man, I would bet there is nothing wrong with his heart”…he said he really didn’t think there was anything wrong with it…but since there was concern for it at the previous ultrasound (and b/c the doctors need to be thorough)…I will have a fetal echocardiogram in 4 more weeks…where it will be looked at in more detail…then I have 2 more level 2 ultrasounds scheduled up until my due date. His bowel and kidneys appeared echogenic at the last ultrasound, meaning they were brighter in color than they should have been. His bowel has since cleared up, but his kidneys were still echogenic…but he didn’t seem too concerned about it…they seem to be functioning properly, since my amniotic fluid levels are normal (and a lot of that consists of fetal urine output). His femur bone is still measuring a little small, but my OBGYN wasn’t concerned about it, since I am small, and the men in my family are on the short side. Anyway, overall it was a really good appt. We were just praying for something positive to lean on, and hearing that they think his heart is fine, is so reassuring, and an answer to prayer. All of these “soft” markers, including the 2 vessel cord can happen to a downs syndrome baby, when all added up together, but normal babies can have these issues too. My genetic counselor had told me that a normal pregnancy has a 1% chance of downs, and ours is like 5% w/o a heart issue. With a heart issue (depending on how severe can mean anywhere from 10%-50% chance of downs) in combination with the other soft marker/issues he might have. Anyway, he measured the right weight at 1 lb. 1 oz. and was wiggling all over the place.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. I feel the Lord has given us some positive news to hang on to, and I was also praying that the doctors didn’t give us any unnecessary worry if there wasn’t real concern for it…and I think the doctor was very reassuring. Thanks so much, and please keep those prayers coming as I will be having more ultrasounds. Make sure to praise God in your prayer time for a good report, since his bowel looked normal and his heart appears normal at this point, as well as his kidneys, even though they are still echogenic, the fluid levels were normal to show they were functioning. Thanks again…I couldn’t have gotten through the month w/o your prayers and concern for us!! I will keep you posted as I know more!! God is good and hears our prayers!! I hope this note finds you all well!

Robyn

I will make sure to put this update in the prayer request thread as well.

Cataholic
02-20-2006, 07:11 PM
That sounds like fantastic news! God does hear our prayers. ;)

moosmom
02-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm sure you're relieved at the news. See?? PT prayers work everytime!!! ;)

Daisy and Delilah
02-20-2006, 09:54 PM
What wonderful news this is. I'm happy to read this before retiring for the night. I hope everything continues to go well. My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you all :)

Pam
02-20-2006, 10:19 PM
And here is the mom-to-be! Pretty don't you think? :) I do. :) (Robyn don't kill me! LOL!)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN0242_s.jpg
Yes it was a good day and we do feel some relief but the prayers will continue. :) Thank you to everyone who prayed and sent good wishes and especially a big Thank you God!

catnapper
02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Wonderful news! I will continue to pray, because these prayers seem to be working! :)

Rpbyn, you look absolutely wonderful.

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-21-2006, 12:23 AM
How reassuring to get such positive news! Continued thoughts and prayers heading your way.

Robyn, you look wonderful!!

K9karen
02-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Robyn's even prettier in person! And equally as sweet! I love you, dear friend, and the whole family is always in my prayers. Hopefully we can all get together again this summer. {HUGS} and xxxxx from me and Mizzy K-lo!

Pam
02-21-2006, 06:13 AM
I had my camera with me yesterday (as you can tell) and got a couple of good pictures. I tried to get a close-up of Guinness (too blurry) so you will have to settle for the back of his head and Harlee's pretty face. :)

Harlee and Guinness - ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN0245_s.jpg

And beautiful Dandy - ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN0246_s.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread, Robyn, with your own furkids! :p

luvofallhorses
02-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I am so glad everything is okay. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
02-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Brilliant news and a beautiful mum-to-be

prechrswife
02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Glad to hear some positive news. :)

Jadapit
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Thats wonderful news! You will contunie to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Mom to be you are a very beautiful lady. :D

Ginger's Mom
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I am so glad to hear that the news was much more encouraging. I will continue to keep you and the baby in my prayers.
And Pam, pictures are always welcome. ;)

Samantha Puppy
02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
That appointment sounds exactly like what was said at ours in August. Aidan's got a pelvic kidney but it works normally, no heart issues, and yeah - he's a little smaller than other kids these days but with me only 5'2" and his dad at 5'6", he was never gonna be a giant anyway. AND I maintain that good things come in small packages.

I'm glad everything seems to be going well for you. Please keep us posted and though it's easier said than done, try not to worry.

Christiansmommy
02-21-2006, 02:55 PM
That appointment sounds exactly like what was said at ours in August. Aidan's got a pelvic kidney but it works normally, no heart issues, and yeah - he's a little smaller than other kids these days but with me only 5'2" and his dad at 5'6", he was never gonna be a giant anyway. AND I maintain that good things come in small packages.

I'm glad everything seems to be going well for you. Please keep us posted and though it's easier said than done, try not to worry.

I just got off the phone with the genetic counselor, and he made me feel even better. At this point, they are only concerned with 2 soft markers, the short femur (which you could never tell was short to human eyes), and the 2 vessel cord. There are 15 different markers they look for in a down syndrome baby, and these are the only 2 he has. They aren't considering the kidneys an issue or marker at this point, b/c they are the right size, right place, and are structurally and functionally working, they are just a little brighter in color on ultrasound than they should be, but he said they were better than last time and since the bowels are normal now, the kidenys could be at the net ultrasound too. I asked about a few other markers i have heard/read about that are connected with downs and are good indicators of downs, and that is the nucheal fold (skin on back of neck being too thick), and he said Jeremy's is normal, and the bone on the nose, which downs babies can have appear different or be missing altogether, and his is also normal. So he said with the heart not seeming to be an issue now, he says his thoughts are a 2% chance of downs...which of course means a 98% chance of not having it! Anyway, we are pleased with yesterday's outcome and will just keep praying. He said that all of his other bones and his size are completely normal and they were all pleased with the ultrasound, and even his thigh is pretty normal, just a little short (a week behind in growth). Anyway, i will keep you all posted. And thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement and prayers.

Jaime, unless i have missed posts, we are due for some more Aiden pics :) Glad your little guy is fine...pregnancy can be so stressful, but those little bundles are so worth it in the end...

Robyn

Samantha Puppy
02-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Just posted some today!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=99588