PDA

View Full Version : Bad Motorhome accident in Ohio

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-20-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2006/local/02/18/75cuthill_ax.html

http://news.nky.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20060219/NEWS0103/602190385/1025/LOCAL0302

This accident looks simply horrible! I can't believe a motorhome would flip over on itself like that. The driver (presumably the husband) died in the accident and "the woman" (presumably the wife) was taken to the hospital.

I don't know what kind of motorhome this is, but hopefully our side walls will never be tested like this. :(

If anyone has more info or more links to this story, I'd appreciate them. Our "motorhome group" is quite interested - and understandably so!

lizbud
02-20-2006, 05:14 PM
That accident looks really bad. :( I wonder what speed they were going
when they hit the parked car? Looks like the motorhome went end over end.
So tragic.

Craftlady
02-20-2006, 06:13 PM
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/7232388/detail.html
A quick story from NBC Cincinnati station.
Unfortunately, for this story there are not the nitty gritty details (kind of motor home for example) your looking to find. The female had minor injurys according to the story.

Here's another link from Kentucky Post
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060220/NEWS01/602200359

Lizzie
02-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Looking at the pictures makes me wonder how the woman survived. Was she thrown out of the vehicle, perhaps?

Craftlady
02-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Some reports have said "minor" injuries while others more serious. Nothing was said whether or not she was thrown out of the motorhome. I'm thinking she was still in there because they had to pry out the husband.

Karen
02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
How scary. I, too wonder how fast the RV was travelling. I think the article I read said there were some weather-related visibility problems, so I wonder if the driver even saw the car before they hit. It does seem horrific from the images I saw, and I hope the woman comes through her injuries okay.

This is the first time I've ever seen an RV accident where one flipped like that.

You and Terry drive safe, okay?

Craftlady
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
The weather was terrible here in Northern KY and Cincinnati area.
This type of snow fall was not predicted to happen and came by total surprise. Salt crews didnt have warning to pre-treat roads ahead of time. Traffic on interstate was at a crawl or stop. Visability in our area was bad.
1 inch of snow fell at the NKY/International Airport.

ramanth
02-21-2006, 09:48 AM
:( How tragic. It's as if the motorhome had no frame at all and the undercarriage simply crushed it under it's own weight. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the additional links, Craftlady.

Kimmy, that appears to me like exactly what happend. The chassis (or undercarriage) is an extremely heavy and solid part of the motorhome, made of all heavy heavy steel beams and this was a diesel pusher (diesel motor in the back) so the engine alone is quite heavy. It's really hard to say whether they were coming or going, but there's a good chance their tanks were full of water which again, is quite heavy. It looks like a little older model (mid to late 90's maybe) but I really can't tell what make it is, which would make a difference in how crushable it was. Needless to say, the higher end more expensive models are less likely to totally collapse like this than the lower end cheaper models. Also, with some manufacturers we know, the ONLY thing connecting the walls to the chassis are nails. Yes, nails - not even screws! They build the wall then nail it to the floor which is attached to the chassis. Needless to say, construction like this will totally collapse under a lot less stress. Terry is on his way to the factory right now to see how our walls are connected to the chassis. He says we're going to install a roll cage, similar to what the Nascar guys get in their cars. ;)

Seriously though, this is such a freak thing that there is no way the manufacturers can predict and build for it. I say he HAD to have been going more than 25 - 30 miles per hour because at that speed, you're just not going to have the force to flip a ~30,000 - ~40,000 pound vehicle end to end! :eek:

Craftlady
02-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the additional links, Craftlady.

Seriously though, this is such a freak thing that there is no way the manufacturers can predict and build for it. I say he HAD to have been going more than 25 - 30 miles per hour because at that speed, you're just not going to have the force to flip a ~30,000 - ~40,000 pound vehicle end to end! :eek:

Your welcome.
I agree about the speed. They were also towing a vehicle behind the motorhome. I'm sure that factored into the motorhome flipping if the vehicle was swinging around. That cut-in-hill area in a bad stretch of highway, your either going up hill towards Northern Kentucky or down hill towards Cincinnati and the Ohio River.

Cataholic
02-22-2006, 09:28 AM
That is an incredibly bad stretch of roadway. Very curvy, very steep grade.

ramanth
02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Agreed. Driving down I-75 to Atlanta, that stretch of highway makes me nervous because I can be doing 80 mph, and I'll still have semi's right on my bumper. Freaks the hell out of me.

Debbie, that is scary thinking about that kind of construction. I wonder how my parents 5th Wheel is assembled. If that were ever to flip, it'd either have to tear free of the hitch or take the pickup with it. :eek: