PDA

View Full Version : Pit bulls: Vicious animals or misunderstood?

rupert
02-19-2006, 10:56 PM
There was an articile in the paper about Pit Bulls. It said: Pit Bulls, Vicious animals or misunderstood? And it ended up saying if you make one mistake with them your done for it and at 2 years old you have to be the most careful. Is this true? I've gotten attacked by my neighbor's two a couple years ago when I lived in Alabama, and I moved because of them. I definetly don't think it's the dogs doing though, I know it's the owner's or breeder's doing to make the dogs vicious. What do you guys think :confused: I personally don't really know what to think of the dogs...

Lady's Human
02-19-2006, 11:13 PM
There are many threads here on "Pit bulls", so I'll keep this brief. ANY animal, if poorly bred, mistreated, abused, or otherwise poorly trained can be dangerous. It's the twit owners, not the animals.

rupert
02-19-2006, 11:14 PM
I totally agree with you after it being explained slightly.

rupert
02-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Look at those jaws...

http://www.workingpitbull.com/images/dirkleap1.jpg

Reminds me of that day in Alabama. Anyway, I would never want to get bit again by those jaws. Just wanted to show you guys the powerfulness.

K9karen
02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately, there's always a story of a pitbull attack in Philadelphia, some by getting loose, others by family dogs. Recently a 2 year old girl had part of her scalp ripped away (survived) while visiting her cousin's house. ]Personally, I also agree that it's most likely the owners. I could put my hand in my neighbor's pit's mouth, grab his huge head and give eskimo kisses and do anything to him. He was great around kids, babies, everything. He was in terrible pain on his last day on earth, but when I went over to kiss him goodbye, his owner said it was the first time all day he stood up and he put his head on my lap. He was protective, but obedient. I was the only person outside family who could just walk into their house. I firmly believe it's all in your aura and personality with any dog. But yes, as with any dog, unless it suffers from an neurological disorder, it's tempermant lays on the owner. I've never ever met a mean pitbull. Early training and socialzation with any dog is crucial. I hang my head in shame to say that my Cody, being a Lab/Golden mix was undersocialized (my fault-I didn't know) and could be unpredictable (but never bit anyone). Sorry to go on. I just get angry when certain breeds are blamed for having a bad reputation.

jesse_3
02-20-2006, 01:55 AM
I am not going to lie, my girl Jesse can be aggressive when she gets scared. She has never bit anyone, but our last vet appointment, we had to muzzle her. Granted, the vet tech was the same one who take care of her after her leg amputation, but she still might have tried to bite her. Jesse is dog aggressive too, if she is not held on a leash. She is not a pittie, she is an English Springer spaniel, and is so loving around me and my mom that you would never guess she would do that. The whole point of me saying this, is that ANY dog breed can be aggressive and "dangerous."

One last thing, in a scientific study on dogs most likely to bite, the pit bull was 4th...from the BOTTOM of the list...golden retrievers are more likely to bite then a well-raised pittie. This pretty much says that it IS the owners fault if the dog is agressive...

Sorry, that was a little longer than I had planned..this is just a subject that affects me so much because I love dogs...
Steph and Jes

ramanth
02-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Recently, two Husky's attacked and killed the child they lived with.

Some people are nervous around my husky mix and I respect that. But I treat her with all the love and care in the world and I hope she knows that she doesn't have to bite anyone, be it out of fear or annoyance.

Like Lady's Human said, any dog can be vicious if raised in the wrong enviroment.

I've never met a mean pitbull but have come across more than a fair share of mean smaller breeds. I don't hate any dog because of it.

luvofallhorses
02-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Like Lady's Human said, any dog can be vicious if raised in the wrong enviroment.

that's SO true!! I have never met a mean pit bull, either. I honestly think that they are misunderstood, they are not vicious; but you cannot show them any aggression whatsoever! At the humane society, the lady who runs it has a pit bull foster. She gave me kisses the other day and I know I sound cheesey but it was great. :o It just warmed my heart. Here she is..her name is Aris:

http://houndlicious.zoto.com/img/45/a8481bec20a4e502103dbdace5913e48-.jpg
Isn't she a beauty? :)
she is just an awesome dog. :D A few people on here have pit bulls and they are NOT vicious! :D

Jadapit
02-20-2006, 12:07 PM
First off, I'm so sorry you were attacked that must have been horrible! :( I own a pit bull she is not aggressive at all she loves people! A pit bull does mature slow, it takes them until two or three before they are mature. A pit bull is never supposed to show any human aggression at all. So many people that own them have no businnes owning that breed. :mad: I honestly think they are very misunderstood when a pit bull does attack it's almost alwyas the owners fault. As they say, "Blame the deed not the breed" If you could meet my Ebony you would love her. I know you might be a little scared because of what happened to you but I can honestly tell you she would kiss you death nothing more. ;)

dog_pug123
02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Well, just in my opinion, I am scared of them. But I do know it is not their fault. It has to do with the owners. A pug could go attacking someone, just like a Pit. Although I'm not scared of any other breed... I still know it's not the dog. All of the dogs are being blamed, not that one dog only. After all, DON'T BLAME THE BREED BLAME THAT DOG

Jessika
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
After all, DON'T BLAME THE BREED BLAME THAT DOG
Nooo... really, it isn't the dog's fault, either!! It can't help how it was raised and trained. Its their irresponsible owners' faults!!

CathyBogart
02-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Pit bulls were bred for hundreds of years for aggression towards other dogs and docility towards humans. Check out "Monser Myths" (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm) from a local Pit BUll rescue, BAD RAP.

Also, http://www.atts.org/ is worth taking a look at....temperament testing done on lots of breeds of dogs...the Pit Bull is one of the high scoring breeds on this test. 83.3% of them passed, as opposed to 65.6% of Scottish terriers, 64.8% of Schnauzers, etc.

Pembroke_Corgi
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Pit bulls were bred for hundreds of years for aggression towards other dogs and docility towards humans. Check out "Monser Myths" (http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm) from a local Pit BUll rescue, BAD RAP.

Also, http://www.atts.org/ is worth taking a look at....temperament testing done on lots of breeds of dogs...the Pit Bull is one of the high scoring breeds on this test. 83.3% of them passed, as opposed to 65.6% of Scottish terriers, 64.8% of Schnauzers, etc.

Those are interesting websites...I have to admit the ATTS test seems a bit tough, though. Mainly just the gunshot part- I would be terrified! I think my dogs would probably be okay with that though, my husband is always trying out different sounds on them to get them interested, so they mainly ignore it. :rolleyes: I think my dogs would pass but I'm not sure how they would react to an aggressive stranger since that's never happened before.

rupert, I can understand your hesitation around pitbulls if you were attacked, that must have been awful. :( But I agree with the others, it is the owner's fault, not the dog's.

luvofallhorses
02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Nooo... really, it isn't the dog's fault, either!! It can't help how it was raised and trained. Its their irresponsible owners' faults!!

EXACTLY!!! I am in love with pit bulls and this BSL makes me sick!! :mad:

Jessika
02-20-2006, 12:54 PM

Thats what I have always said. Even pits who were trained and bred to fight aren't aggressive towards humans. In fact, they have to be docile towards humans because if they get hurt or injured in the fighting ring, their owner has to come get them out, and they can't attack them. You know?? So yes, thats another BIG myth.

Toby's my baby
02-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I love pits, and like everyone has said, dont blame the breed. . ..

My dog, Boo boo, is on the "dangerous dogs" list at our local police station for attacking someone. If he attacks anybody else, they are going to seize him, and have him put down. . . he is a PEKINESE/ POODLE. . .

~*MS.MISSYH*~
02-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Pit Bulls are very misunderstood. I isn't the dogs fault. It is the environment the owner creates and how the owner treats it that makes this wonderful breed so dangerous. I personally have a lot of problem with people saying bad things about Pits because I know a lot of people who have them and have raised them right. The Pits that I am speaking of are more friendly than most of the Chihuahuas I've been around.

dab_20
02-20-2006, 02:50 PM
This is a very touchy subject here at PT. Most of us here love all dog breeds, including Pit Bulls.

Personally I have never met a purebred Pittie, but I have met a pittie/lab mix. She was a shelter dog, probably the sweetest one I've ever met. She was pregnant when they found her, when she had her puppies I was in charge of them and the mom. It was really a great experience, with that beautiful dog and her puppies.

I like Pit Bulls, they seem like they can make great dogs... if they don't have STUPID owners. Jadapit has Ebony and Jada, they are both great dogs because they have a great owner.

Sorry, I made this post a little too long. Just don't blame the dogs, blame their idiot owners.

animal_rescue
02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Pit Bulls are wonderful dogs when raised right! I was also attacked by a pit bull when I was younger, won't go into details, but it was very nasty. That doesn't mean I hate them or even hate the dog that did it to me. Heck, I barely remember the attack, all I have left is a tiny scar on my face. But I absolutely adore pits still! I've met plenty of friendly ones.

Here are a few of my previous pit bull fosters.

My personal favorite, Essy.
Abandoned in a house with a male pit bull and 2 iguanas, the male and iguanas died before we got there. Lives on a farm in Ohio now.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p27f381ba09c912d698dbcf60e5b12a2f/f5006a9d.jpg

Elmo(now Cosmo)
A grandma bought her grandson him, but he couldn't keep him, so we got him.
Elmo lives in the country with 2 boxer siblings, 2 human parents, and 3 human brothers.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid194/p3a8c60bc2d68796067e69f5e4813de6b/f182542b.jpg

Kovu(now Clifford The Big Red Dog :D )
Found across the street, stupid breeders, we weren't giving him back. Lives in the country, not to far from me, with a lab and great dane siblings and a human momma.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid195/p84bb24fb1115a7896e5f10b16502f1e5/f14543b3.jpg

Chachi(now Hooch) and Arie(now Peanut)
Surprise, Surprise Came from the same place that we got Kovu from, found across the street, both are living in Illinois, Peanut lives with my friend's best friend. She is spoiled, human momma is home all the time, has a staffordshire brother, and a human daddy. Hooch has human momma and daddy and a human sister. Both are doing wonderfully!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pef4cfa534cb7e9210ea45957caf650d9/f0362e71.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pabb9d88f9a540c07aa7b589bcf398c0b/f0362fe7.jpg

Suki Wingy
02-20-2006, 04:47 PM
First off, I'm so sorry you were attacked that must have been horrible! :( I own a pit bull she is not aggressive at all she loves people! A pit bull does mature slow, it takes them until two or three before they are mature. A pit bull is never supposed to show any human aggression at all. So many people that own them have no businnes owning that breed. :mad: I honestly think they are very misunderstood when a pit bull does attack it's almost alwyas the owners fault. As they say, "Blame the deed not the breed" If you could meet my Ebony you would love her. I know you might be a little scared because of what happened to you but I can honestly tell you she would kiss you death nothing more. ;)

I feel the exact same way.

luvofallhorses
02-20-2006, 04:54 PM
dog_pug,

have you ever met a pit bull? If not, you should meet one. They are VERY sweet, depending on who owns them..I hope to have one someday after I do my research of course. :)

dog_pug123
03-11-2006, 04:14 PM
dog_pug,

have you ever met a pit bull? If not, you should meet one. They are VERY sweet, depending on who owns them..I hope to have one someday after I do my research of course. :)

I have never. And I have to admit, I do have a bit against the breed. I have seen two loose ones... in Oregon at my cabin, and I didn't see them for long. They started coming toward me and I screamed and ran into my cabin. I really don't like being around them... they kind of scare me. At the hotel in California (just... about 3 days ago) I saw two being walked by the owner and one growled at me and the other was jumping all over. I think I just don't give them a chance. But my heart just starts beating really hard and I get red and really scared. I don't know why. Maybe because of all of the reports I've seen and read. But I think I really need to give them a chance, but it's hard. Maybe if I met one and my parents made me pet one I'd be better.

Shaylee
03-27-2006, 10:54 PM
I've heard that their senses of sight and hearing tend to go as they get older and so can get confused as to who is near them at times.

Ravette
03-28-2006, 12:31 AM
ah this debat is as old as time it seems.

A lot of people can not tell the difference between an actual pitbull and many of the bully breeds. So when people do get bitten or attacked they might claim its was a pitbull but a lot of that comes from the fact that that is the breed that gets in the paper so the person assumes that thats what bit them.

I own two pitbull mixes well I own one the other belongs to my dad. Guess what my dad's is very child leary. He(Charlie LabXPit) actually has biten several children and yes most of the time the child was doing nothing at all. I personally chalk it up to the fact that he was never socilized with children and my dad lets him get away with it. Yeah he yells and puts him out on the back porch but to me this is and never will be enough.

Callie - PitbullXLab - Dog that became mine because my step-brother got a girlfriend and his dog was no longer important. Callie is the most submissive thing you have ever seen. She likes to worm her way out of my windows of my car to follow me to a building. When I turn around she instantly throws herself on her back. She was very afraid of children when she was about 6/7months old but after I put her on a leash and correct everytime she barked or lunged away from a child it went away. She now acts like they don't exsist unless they have her toys then she is more then willing to play.

Jared - pure Golden Retriever- My beloved Jared gets very jealous when I pet strange dogs that he will actually growl at them sometimes. We are working on this and hes getting MUCH better.

I think its all on the owner.

NO BAD DOGS JUST BAD OWNERS! maybe not even bad owners but ones that don't understand a dogs needs/responses ect ect.

"There are no killer dogs!

Dogs are not born killers nor do they choose to be killers. What we are seeing in the news with the recent rash of canine violence, is the tragic outcome of humans who own dogs, but do not know how to properly fullfill the needs of man's best friend.

We can prevent dog attacks by understanding dog psychology. Dog owners, the public and especially the professionals charged with issues of public safety can live harmoniously with canines through proper care and communication with the animals. "

- Cesar Millan

Lori Jordan
03-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I have tons of friends with pit bulls and im so sick of hearing that there vicious...and even the ones that are it has nothing to do with the dog it is how the animal is brought up.These dogs have a bad name because of the people that breed them i watch this show called Animal Cops watch and you will see the stuff that is happening too these dogs..they are beautiful dogs and good companions just like the rest but if there trained to fight,put in fighting rings,then bred what kind of dog do you think you would have?it is all in the genes i feel sooo bad for these dogs and the way some treat them it is not fair

senorita02
03-28-2006, 10:09 AM
My neighbors across the street own a pittbull which i was not aware of , i have never seen him before and they have lived here one year, anyway i saw a Black Pittie standing in the middle of the street barking at people walking by, and i went outside and i talked sweet to him and he wagged his tail came running to me and kissed me & then the neighbor came out and called his dog, that is when i found out they had a Pittbull, since then he has gotten out several times and the same thing, he cuddles kisses and wags his tail, he is a HUGE sweetheart!

IRescue452
03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Shaylee, almost all dogs senses of hearing and sight decline as they age, its not a breed thing. There is a german shepherd a block away from us who is in attack mode until we are close enough for her to recognize us. She's jumped on me growling before realizing who I am. She would be dangerous to a strange person walking down the street but it is because she can't see so well. My rb dog Pepper was deaf and if you startle her she would snap on occasion.
I personally fear all the loose, overbred, vicious labs in the neighborhood over any pittie I see. I've been bitten by too many labs for comfort and would love to see some bsl against labs. I'd like to see breeding of labs more controlled and owners more controlled. Most owners around here let their labs outside with no leashes and no supervision. I find most are dangerous because they are so unpredictable.