PDA

View Full Version : Sad report

slleipnir
04-17-2002, 10:22 AM
I'm in Quebec right now, and was talking to some relatives. All who has went threw this. I told them about Ruf, and how I'm scared to make 'the dissision' because I don't want it to be the wrong one. What if Ruf IS fine, and isn't really in pain..But sadly I think they're right and its his time. He is stiff, and couldn't even sit down the other day without taking a few mins to get there. All I know is, I don't think I want to be there when they do it. I don't think I can look at his face as he leaves. There is a lot of dogs here, right now they're barking cause of my relatives coming so i better go. Ttyl

Dixieland Dancer
04-17-2002, 10:48 AM
My prayers will be for the right decision to be made when the time comes. It is a very difficult decision to make. I knew it was time when my first Golden couldn't get up anymore and would urinate and lay in it.

I was with her. Just don't watch their eyes. I held her around the neck and loved her to the last second. I did not want her to be alone.

Fortunately all my other dogs passed on naturally so I did not have to make that decision for them.

Blessing to you and give Rufus a hug for me.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-17-2002, 11:23 AM
My heart is breaking for you because I know only too well how awful this is for you. I had to make the decision 4 years ago to put my sweet cat, Lucy, down. I knew it was coming. She was almost 17 and had lost weight and when she stood her little legs just wobbled. When she got to where she couldn't eat or drink, I decided to let her go. The vet said they could do tests on her but I didn't want her to go through all that. I couldn't stand to see them put her down either. I made them promise to do it as soon as I left the room. It was done before I got out of the office. I had to have them bury her because I rent my home. I had been with other pets that I've had to have put to sleep. I felt it was the least I could do. But I just couldn't stand it with her. I loved her and cuddled her for days before we went in and I know she knows I loved her.

My prayers are with you to give you strength to make the right decision for the both of you. Give youself a little time. If Rufus was in lots of pain, I think you would know. What does your vet advise? I think Rufus himself, will let you know when it's time.

jennifert
04-17-2002, 11:31 AM
I think Rufus himself, will let you know when it's time.

I agree. You will just know. Look and listen and spend some quality time with Rufus.

I'm so sorry Audrey. It is such a hard decision and so hard to deal with afterwards. We'll all be here for you. Why don't you post some pics of Rufus for us...We don't get to see enough of him as it is!!

Former User
04-17-2002, 11:32 AM
I am so sorry to hear about you having to make this desicion... I know it won't be easy. I have made it also, had to let go of my dog. I wanted to be with him and I was wiht him for his last moments.
Stay strong ok!

Cincy'sMom
04-17-2002, 12:42 PM
My prayers are with you, that you are able to make this very difficult decision based on what is best for Rufus.

Stenograsaurus
04-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Having just gone through this with my cat a week ago today, I can completely understand what you are going through right now. Be strong, take one day at a time and lean of us!!! We're all here praying for your strength.

ramanth
04-17-2002, 01:25 PM
My heart goes out to you. It wasn't easy making that decision for our first cat Sable. He was finally to the point where he couldn't move, he could only lay there and cry and so we took him to the vet.

Just hold Rufus and tell him how much you love him. He knows.

slleipnir
04-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Thank you all for your support. I was feeling quite upset cause I'm pretty sure he'd be better off being put to sleep. He finds it hard to move and can't even go for walks anymore. He basically sleeps all day. I think its his time, but I feel mean thinking it incase he could last longer...I mean I don't want to see him go, but I want whats best.

Jen: I had a post before of just Ruf, lots of pics from now till a lot of years ago. I don't think to many ppl looked at them

tatsxxx11
04-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi Audrey. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this very difficult decision. I have been there myself and it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make. The only advice I can give you is this. It is a ver personal one, one which should be made after searching deep into your heart, talking with your family and with your vet. It is often said that "you will know" when it's time. Yes, the thinking side of you may know, but often your heart pulls you in another direction. I have a very close relationship with my vet, and it is at times like this that I speak with him, heart to heart, and ask his advice. It is a very difficult decision to make alone. Just remember that whenever that time comes, it will be a decision made out of the deepest love, as painful as it is. I have come to love Rufus and Jo so, from your many posts and pics. of them. I am so sad I missed his most recent pics. So many new Pet Talkers and daily posts, that sometimes important ones get missed. For me, this was one of them. Please forgive me. I'm posting the link to the thread of Rufus' younger year photos. Such a beautiful dog. I will be thinking of you and Rufus and I hope you know you have my love and support. Please hug Rufus for me and give him a very, very soft kiss right on the side of his nose. Love, Sandra

Rufus as a youngster can be seen at:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9355

slleipnir
04-17-2002, 06:25 PM
Thank you so much Sandra, it means a lot

momoffuzzyfaces
04-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Sandra, thanks for posting the link so we could see Rufus' baby days again. You are so right about your head knowing the time is right and your heart pulling you in a different direction. The heart never wants to let go. I've had to put several loved ones down and even after all these years my heart says no. Sometimes love is letting the other one go no matter how much it hurts. But it is one of the most difficult decisions you ever make and should only be made after careful thought and soul searching. I agree Audrey should talk with her vet or someone to help make the decision. Someone who can think clearly because the emotions are in control at a time like this like you said. I wish I had known all of you when I went through this. Your support would have helped so much.

RachelJ
04-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Audrey, you have been struggling with this possibility for a long time now. I have ached for you whenever you mentioned Rufus because I knew what you were going through. It is not an easy decision and not always as clear cut as we would think it would be. One day you think you know the answer, the next day you feel that you don't. And sometimes after you've made up your mind that now is the time, and you take that step, you then have self doubt and guilt about whether it was the right thing. I don't know as I am being helpful here other than letting you know that there are those of us who know how you feel and how hard this is. I wish I could give you a hug. I can say that after going through the same situation, and finally making the decision, and having that self doubt and guilt, and with time passing, I finally have come to peace in knowing that I did the very best I could for my dear Tizzie. I know in your love for Rufus, you will do your best as well whatever choice that leads you to. God bless you and Rufus.

AmberLee
04-17-2002, 07:59 PM
{{{Audrey, Rufus}}},

Cyberhugs as you work through this difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sudilar
04-17-2002, 10:33 PM
Audrey, the pics of Rufus are precious. They brought tears to my eyes. I know how hard it is for you right now. I pray that the answer comes to you and you know when the time comes. No matter what, you love Rufus and you will do the right thing for him. My heart goes out to you.

Sue, Killi and Shi

Logan
04-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Audrey,
I can't say much that others haven't already said. You and Rufus are in our hearts and prayers tonight.
Logan

delidog
04-17-2002, 11:46 PM
dear sleepinir,

please just know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your dear rufus....i've been where you are right now....i know this is not easy...i've heard all the right things as i read the posts.....please just hug your dear rufus....he knows how much you love him....he'll help you make the right decision....
{{{{{{ hugs for you}}}}}
{{{{{{hugs for rufus}}}}}
we are thinking of you both....

Gio
04-18-2002, 04:30 AM
My thoughts are with you.

anna_66
04-18-2002, 06:42 AM
{{{{{{Cyber hugs}}}}}}
From everyone at our home!

AdoreMyDogs
04-18-2002, 06:50 AM
I am so sorry that this decision has to be thought about. You are in my thoughts :(

sabies
04-18-2002, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of you and Rufus...wish there was something more I could do or say.

slleipnir
04-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks all for the support. I duno what I should do. Deep down I don't think I can do it (like its nto his time yet) but that may be emotions..I never thought it would be this hard

momoffuzzyfaces
04-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Forgive me for sticking my nose in your business again but I would advise you to wait a little. Putting an animal down is a difficult decision, that once made, can not be undone. If Rufus gets worse, it can always be done then. Just love him and enjoy every second. Know that he loves you too. I hope this helps some. Prayers are being sent for you both.