PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this horse?

CarrieB
02-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I have been looking into buying a horse. I was wondering what you think about horses for sale at breeding places. They seem more expensive, but they kind of seem like they were trained very well. Are those horses usually for the experinced horse people? I found this horse for sale in Washington, I don't know if we can post websites so I'll just put what they said about him.

***Striking 1996 grey Arabian gelding with mulitple show wins and Championships in Country Pleasure. A sweet guy who is fun to show and loves to show off. Qualified for Regions 4 & 5 as well as Nationals in Open Country Pleasure and is ready to go for an amateur or youth rider who wants to win. $7,500 obo***

It sounds good to me but Im not an expert... what do you guys thinK? And what is considered an amateur? I just emailed their website to get more info on him. And are geldings ok for beginners? Thanks!! :p

flamepony12
02-19-2006, 10:44 PM
It all pretty much depends on your riding experience, the horse's experience, etc.. by looking at the ad, it looks like he might be owned by people who are pretty serious about showing him. You should ask yourself whether you're interested in showing or pleasure riding. I think the best thing to do would to first go and try the horse, see if you two click. If you do, see if you can take him on a trial period, and if he works out, make sure to get a vet to look him over to make sure he's sound. good luck!

CarrieB
02-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for your reply! I'll ask my dad to see if he likes him. I actully did want to do some show, along with pleasure too. I just hope he isn't sold yet!!!

CarrieB
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
The stables just reply'd back and the horse is not sold yet! I'm going to try not to get to excited because I don't want to be disapointed if he is unsound or something, but this horse seems perfect. We'll see what my dad says in the morning :D!!! Wish me luck, my dad is tough to talk about horses with, he is scared of them!

dab_20
02-20-2006, 01:22 PM
When they say 'ready to go for an amateur' it just means they are ok with younger less experienced people I think.

Geldings are just fine with beginners... it's stallions that you don't want if your a beginner.

Hope everything goes well when you meet the horse!!

Miss Z
02-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmmm, seems alright if he's a gelding and is suitable for amateurs, then he sounds OK:) And if you like the sound of him, then sure, go ahead and see him! I've had bad experiences with arabs, so personally i'd rather not have one of my own, but if you think he's suitable for you then i wish you the best of luck:D

CarrieB
02-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys :D! What happend miss Z? I havn't ridden an arabian before, just paints, ponies, thoroughbreds, and haflingers.

Miss Z
02-20-2006, 01:46 PM
I've had a couple of bad experiences with them. I'm not trying to put you off, if you think that this horse is good for you then go ahead and get him, you're far luckier than i am having an opportunity to get your own horse as my parents would never let me have one. But the worst time i had with an arab was when i was cantering on a circle with a chestnut mare. She was very pretty, but very spirited. She spooked at something on the floor, it might have been a sparrow but i didn't have time to see because she bolted and then stopped infront of the brick arena wall and i was flung headfirst over her head. If i hadn't have turned slightly so i hit the wall on my side, the impact head on would have likely broken my neck, and i would probably be in a wheelchair or even possibly in my grave. Fortunately, i suffered nothing more than being instantly winded, having a very sore chest for weeks and a complete loss of confidence. But i've gone back to riding, i must be mad:rolleyes: . In my experience, i've just found them rather unpredictable and can be strong willed and high spirited, but perhaps i was just unlucky with them. As i've said, if you really like him then he's probably fine. But just be careful, some horse sellers sell horses which are not what they say they are. When you see him, ask to watch him being led, having his hoves picked up, tacked up and ridden by someone else before you try yourself. If he doesn't seem quite right, then just be careful;)

CarrieB
02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I am so glad your okay! I have heard some arabians are pretty spirited. But I have seem calms ones to. I really hope I get to see him! I would hope they wouldn't lie about this horse... It sounds like a very professional place, but who knows these days.

Miss Z
02-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I would hope they wouldn't lie about this horse... It sounds like a very professional place, but who knows these days.

Hopefully not, and it is unlikely, but sometimes professional breeders can be the worst culprits as they can sell horses for more money so they try to 'dress them up' a bit. But good luck anyway:)

dab_20
02-20-2006, 02:31 PM
The only horse I've ever had before was an arabian. She was a black 12 year old one, just the sweetest!! She was very calm, which could have been because she wasn't that young. I think it really depends on the horse, but my experience with arabians have been very good.

CarrieB
02-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Do any of you know what *insured for the purchase price* means in terms of leasing a horse?

Miss Z
02-21-2006, 02:29 AM
I've never seen it worded like that before, but it could mean that the horse is insured if you pay the asking price:confused:

CarrieB
02-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Ugh, I am having a hard time convincing my dad this is the one! The horse is more than perfect so I guess we will see wat happens
Does anybody have any tips on what I can do to convince my dad!

flamepony12
02-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Do any of you know what *insured for the purchase price* means in terms of leasing a horse?

Sounds like you wouldn't have to worry about it if you're only leasing. I'm pretty sure it might mean that for the purchase price (the amount of money you pay for it) it comes insured. OR it could mean that they'll insure it for the purchase price. hmm.

CarrieB
02-23-2006, 10:20 PM
OOh i get it, thanks flamepony. I asked my dad about the horse... he says *I will see if I have enough money to get one after I refinance the house* (which is in about.. less then 2 months) . Then after that, I emailed the horse owner asking if he would ever consider planning a date out for trying out the horse in like 2 months, or iif it was to far out. I had just sent it so I hope it works out! I know I shouldn't get obsessed with this horse... but it's kinda hard not too!

Suki Wingy
02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Maybe it means if you injure him you have to pay the purchase price? :confused: