PDA

View Full Version : How Should I Thank ..?

sandragonfly
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I usually know or do what I want to or should do. but this one is pretty sticky :confused: ..

how should I thank the first family (family of my relative's - who I stayed with after my arrival of roadtrip) for letting me 'live' with them then kicked me out two weeks later?

you see, I feel guilty if I don't thank them good enough, (?) yet, I can't think of any other thankyou they earn.

I know this is non-animal related but it was all about animals and you're my friends. :( I only need/want your thoughts on if or how should I thank or not, and why - not to tell me what I should do because I will stick with what I'm comfortable with. I just don't know what to do or to think with 'families' around here making me look (feel) bad. one guy said "is this the thanks we get?" :confused: :(

Karen
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe write a nice thank-you note, and send it with a bunch of fresh flowers - you can even get some pretty inexpensively at the supermarket if they're nearby, or with a plate of cookies or brownies ...

sandragonfly
02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
this is what bothers me, sending them those just after or for kicking me out? I don't feel right to do so, it just doesn't make senses to me. especially where I'm still hurt.

well, we don't deal with our feelings better when we haven't talked or sort things out yet. just two days after, I emailed the wife of the house a long thankyou and how it meant a lot for me staying there and wished 'things' didn't happened. she never responded, I don't even know if she accepted it. again, another deserved one? I can't understand..

if they kicked me out into a street for a reason, yeah, I would. (once if I'm back in my sanity).. :rolleyes:

Alysser
02-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Maybe just a simple thank you note or just say thanks? :confused:

jenfer
02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Send them a nice card... inside write something like:
"Dear Mr. and Mrs. Blah (whatever their last name is)

Thank you for your hospitality while I was staying at your house.

Sincerely,
FULL NAME
2006"

Just make everything formal... like a business letter. I think that's good. Even better: print it out from a printer, use nice paper, but avoid handwriting them. I did that to my ex-friends' wedding card (I wasn't invited). And no cookies or flowers. :D

Catty1
02-19-2006, 01:53 PM
I'd say try once more - with a mailed letter or card, nothing more than that. If you are comfy with some flowers, fine.

But at some point, you have to realize that you have taken care of YOUR side of the street - if something you did or a situation you were in, absolutely without meaning to, contributed to a problem, just acknowledge the fact of it. Talk about behaviour, not feelings.

The family could have their own craziness. Maybe it is THEIR problem.

Sometimes a situation is just that, and no one is to blame. Just wondering why you feel the need to apologize??? If is was the animals - well, they knew about them before you got there, right?

A quote I like that might apply: "As God's people, we stand on our feet - we don't crawl before anyone."

I admit to being puzzled - the guy who said, "Is this the thanks we get?" Was that while you were staying at the house? What was he talking about?

They don't sound like nice people...IMO, real GIVING does not have expectations.

hugs

Catty1

Daisy and Delilah
02-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Gina, If you've already emailed and received no response, under the circumstances, I think that's all you need to do maybe? That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Good luck :)

king2005
02-19-2006, 03:02 PM
I wish I knew more of the story, but I'm not on PT often & missed everything. All I know is that you moved from somewhere far, too somewhere near Sue.

I lived with Robs parents for 5yrs of living hell. I gave them nothing in return. they got nothing for xmas, b-days, their anny, or any other holidays, as in the first year i learned it was never good enough & neither was I..

If these people you stayed with were really mean to you & blamed everything on you when you truly did nothing wrong, just forget them & go on with your life :)

jackie
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Are you sure she received the first email you sent? I donīt know that whole story, but it sounds like a big gift is not really fitting.

Maybe just try a simple thank you note. People sometimes get too caught up in big gestures, and donīt realize a simple thank you is enough. :)

lv4dogs
02-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Gina, If you've already emailed and received no response, under the circumstances, I think that's all you need to do maybe? That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Good luck :)

I agree.

hugs

Corinna
02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
As for knowing a lot of the story a formal thank you like Jenfer says only I would say "thank you for the short stay " It's a thank you and formal enough to get the point across.
Personally I think the email is enough and if they don't like it tough cookies. (mommy talking)