PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

renfest
02-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Merilyn is almost 7 months old and I still feed him twice a day should I start feeding him once a day?

anna_66
02-19-2006, 09:24 AM
It's really up to you.

I free feed mine so they eat whenever they feel like it.

k9krazee
02-19-2006, 09:30 AM
You can continue feeding him twice a day if you'd like. I know many people that free feed, only feed once a day or like me and feed 2x per day. It really depends on what you and the dog are comfortable doing...I know that my dogs look forward to every single meal, there would be no way they would be happy only eating once a day!!

renfest
02-19-2006, 11:12 AM
I had been thinking that since he was fixed he is not as active and the weather has been cold so I cut back on his food but still feed twice a day .. he does leave some food at times in his bowl that he snacks on through out the day ..few treats and he is doing good I just thought w/him growing it would make a difference ..

rennie

jackie
02-19-2006, 01:13 PM
I donīt think you need to be cutting back his food, I still feed my puppers twice a day, and if I am late with a meal they know how to let me know. ;)

dab_20
02-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I've got to feed my pups meals because Molli is food aggresive, and plus they will start eating each others food.

I feed mine two meals a day and will feed them that even when they get older.

KYS
02-19-2006, 02:10 PM
I feed my dogs 2 times a day too. :D

lute
02-19-2006, 05:36 PM
i will always feed my pups twice a day. it's better on their little bodies to eat two smaller meals a day instead of eating one BIG meal.
it's really up to you.

Jessika
02-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I feed mine twice a day still. Its really up to you :)

rupert
02-19-2006, 11:42 PM
It's really your choice but I'd keep it to two times a day, you really should've been feeding him three times a day as a puppy. But I'd keep it at two times a day. Good luck with your gorgeous puppy!

Vela
02-20-2006, 08:16 AM
I also think you are better off leaving it a twice a day rather than once. It's better for their digestive health to eat twice a day rather than one larger meal.

lv4dogs
02-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I feed twice a day. It is better for their digestive tract and metabolism.

lizbud
02-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I also feed Smokey & Maggie twice a day. They both get less in
the morning & a little more at night.I can't free feed, because I have
two cats that are real chow hounds & they would eat the dogfood.

renfest
02-25-2006, 11:21 AM
It's really your choice but I'd keep it to two times a day, you really should've been feeding him three times a day as a puppy. But I'd keep it at two times a day. Good luck with your gorgeous puppy!

We tried feeding three times a day and I was going through 20 lbs every 2 weeks and when the place where I get the food is a half hour drive with set hours and one car it made it hard to get there at times.

rennie

renfest
02-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I also feed Smokey & Maggie twice a day. They both get less in
the morning & a little more at night.I can't free feed, because I have
two cats that are real chow hounds & they would eat the dogfood.

Zaknafeins food is on a table in the mudroom so that Merilyn does not go after the food amd Merilyn is in the dinning room and there are days that he does not eat all the food and it get's taken up.he is 7months already weighing over 70 lbs and is still active ..

rennie

finn's mom
02-25-2006, 12:02 PM
We tried feeding three times a day and I was going through 20 lbs every 2 weeks and when the place where I get the food is a half hour drive with set hours and one car it made it hard to get there at times.

rennie

I think all they meant by that was not to feed more, just more often. So, the poundage of food would have been the same whether you were feeding twice or three times a day...each meal just would have been smaller. But, that's hind sight, of course. I still feed Finn twice a day, but, he doesn't get dog food, so, it's a little different. I'd still feed a dog twice a day if I fed him regular dog food. Good luck!

poofy
02-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I free feed, but sammyj only eats once a day, and yollie eats
2 times a day.. :)

wolfsoul
02-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I feed three meals a day, and Visa is three years old. :)

Kfamr
02-25-2006, 09:10 PM
I have dogs who are 8 years, almost 2 years, and 3 years old and they have always been fed 2 meals a day. :) I keep the amount the same as if I were only feeding 1 meal.