PDA

View Full Version : Poor Taffy :(

chrissycat21
02-18-2006, 09:57 PM
I can't beleive Taffy will be 7 this spring, I've been so lucky to have him this long. But, with old age come many problems.

His vision suddenly took a turn for the worst. In the last 3-4 weeks he has had more trouble seeing than ever before. I feel so bad when I see him nosing around his cage trying to find his way back into his pigloo. He doesn't understand when I try to help him find his pigloo, it just makes him more nervous.

The cyst on his back is looking horrible again. In the past few months is has burst 3 or 4 times. I thought someone had given him a strawberry and he had made a mess all over his cage, but his cage was completely blood soaked. I changed it immediatly every time, and the blood soaked all the way through the litter and had left big blotches on the newspaper. He always seemed fine after that happened like it hadn't hurt him, but it just looked so awful that he must have felt it.

For a while now his breathing has become raspy. I know he needs a vet because he probably does have URI, but I can not take him. I'm not trying to be a bad owner, but Taffy has had two, possibly three, heart attacks. Two were because of him being in a stressful situation. (One time was a vet visit and another was moving him to my grandparent's house for them to pigsit) A trip to the vet now would be risking his life. Another heart attack would probably kill him.

Because of the heart attacks, he has trouble using his back legs. Some days he will be fine. He has been fine for a long time now, but sometimes I'll see him dragging them. Everytime he has had a heart attack he lost complete use of his back legs. It made me so sad seeing him dragging his back legs. That is how I've known when he has had a heart attack, his back legs will be completely useless. (Thankfully it has been nearly a year since his last heart attack, and it better stay that way! *knock on wood*)

Ontop of everything else, he is losing fur. Its not from lice or fleas, but I beleive just from old age. He gets enough vitamin C and other nutrients where he shouldn't just be losing hair. It has been thinning for a while now, so I beleive it is just old age. He sleeps a whole lot more now, too. He can be in a deep sleep for hours at a time now.

Sorry for writing a novel, but I just needed somewhere to get that all out. I love Taffy so much and I hate to see him suffer. This past year with him has been so tough, but he is such a fighter.

Now I'm going to get off the computer and get him his nightly salad. (Which has been increasing in size for the past month, even with his old age he can sure pack it all in!)

luvofallhorses
02-18-2006, 10:00 PM
**many hugs to you and Taffy**

chocolatepuppy
02-19-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Taffys failing health. Seven is a good age for a g. pig. I'm sure you are keeping him comfortable and he knows you love him, that's all that matters right now. I will keep you both in my thoughts. {hugs}

chrissycat21
02-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks....

I think the thing that is really bothering me most is that I know he doesn't have much more time to live. I just want to make sure he's happy until then.

chrissycat21
02-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Taffy isn't walking again.

I lifted him up to help him get water and he collapsed on his side.

:( :( :(

chrissycat21
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
He seems to be doing better, walking a little more. I don't think he had another heart attack.

I think I found another cyst on his head. I was petting his head when I found it and it burst. I cleaned it off and hopefully it won't get infected. He doesn't need that on top of everything else...

Suki Wingy
02-21-2006, 07:39 PM
:( Good thoughts coming his way!

chrissycat21
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Thank you.

Things aren't looking good again. Since Friday or Saturday Taffy hasn't been able to walk since then. Normally, he goes through phases of that but within a day or so he is fine.

He can't even balance on his back legs, he has just been laying on his side. I picked him up and moved him to a box and he was all wet, he hasn't been able to move to go to the bathroom! I felt so bad because I should have made sure he was in a dry spot in his cage, I can't beleive I didn't!

I moved him to a box so he can reach everything while laying down. I've been hand feeding him since Saturday morning, so hopefully he will be ok soon.

Please keep him in your thoughts. :( :( :(

chocolatepuppy
02-27-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry Taffy isn't doing well. :( I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers. It is so hard to watch one of our beloved pets not doing well. {hugs}

k9krazee
02-27-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh :( I'm so sorry :(

chrissycat21
02-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks again everyone.

My mom has been feeding Taffy for me while I'm at school. He refuses to drink, so I think I'll have my dad help me use a syringe to get him water. But for now I'm feeding him watery (sp?) fruits and vegetables to he can get some liquid atleast. He's eating pellets on his own, I had his dish in the box and he started to munch on them before I left.

Whatever it is, I just hope he isn't in pain. :(

jackie
03-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Wow, I am so sorry for you and foor poor Taffy.

I hate to say this, but maybe you should consider having him PTS, it might save him (and you) a great deal of suffering.

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh no, I just saw this Chrissy!!:(

Wow, Taffy is seven?? That's a ripe old age for a guinea pig, but what a gift he has been to you!!:) I am so sorry about his failing health; believe me, I've been through all that in the last couple months with Domino too as you well know, though he's on a turn for the better. I know how you feel, and I hope Taffy's not in pain nad hopefully gets better!:( ((hugs))

-Katie and Dom

chrissycat21
03-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Thank you Jackie and Katie. How is Dom doing, BTW?

Well, after posting last night my mom got Taffy to drink a lot of water. This morning I got him to drink a lot, too. He has started drinking on his own again!

He ate all the fresh food my mom gave him while I was at school, and I took him out about an hour ago and he hate timothy hay.

He really doesn't seem to be in any pain. He glady accepts any food that you give him and eats it like the pig he is! Now that he has started drinking I'm hoping that will help. He still has no use of his back legs, but he can get to all of his food and water without really getting up right now.

I really have no idea where this is going....I thought that he wouldn't get better, but now I'm starting to get my hopes up. I just hope whatever happens that he isn't in any pain.

The last time I thought about having him PTS was about a year ago when he had what I think was a heart attack. But he pulled through that, too. I really have no idea with this little guy, he has been through so much and hasn't given up yet.

jackie
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I am so glad to hear he is improving. :)

Buddy Blaze Lover
03-02-2006, 11:47 AM
It sounds like Taffy's a real fighter!!:) I'm glad he's doing a little better!

In answer to your question, Dom is doing GREAT!!! He's currently residing in the kitchen now, and is back to his old, active, and squeaking self!:D He's so sweet; every time I walk by he squeaks at me (or if I call him) and runs circles around his cage! Dom's still a little thin, but he's almost back to normal now. I'm SO thankful for his recovery!!:D

I will continue to think of Taffy as well.

Alysser
03-02-2006, 03:24 PM
I hope he gets better!

chrissycat21
03-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm glad Dom is doing better!

Taffy is still eating and drinking like a pig, but no improvment on his walking. :( He is probably going to the vet tomorrow.

flamepony12
03-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Oh my goodness. I just saw this thread... I'm really sorry -- Good thoughts on the way for you and Taffy. :( ((((((HUGS))))))

<3

chrissycat21
03-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks again everyone.

Taffy was taken to the vet today while I was at school. She said it was just arthritis and gave him a shot of steroids to help loosen his legs back up. She said his heart is beating nice and strong and sounds fine and the cyst on his back is nothing to worry about. She also said the lump my dad felt was just a callus (sp?) from laying on his side.

Right now I'm just glad it isn't anything too serious. I was worried about an internal cyst or something. I'm just glad he is ok! (And she said he probably has never had a heart attack, that was just the arthritis)

jackie
03-03-2006, 04:29 PM
That is so wonderful to hear!

chrissycat21
03-05-2006, 08:32 PM
The steroid shot hasn't taken affect yet. It's been over 48 hours, so I have no idea what is up with that.

He hasn't moved from the same spot all day, I've just been hand feeding him and making sure he can get to his water.

And his water bottle broke over the night and started leaking all over him. Poor piggy had to sleep all wet. :( (He is nice and dry now in a clean cage, though)

chrissycat21
03-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Steroid shot hasn't helped him any, and he got it Friday morning.

Now I'm wondering if the lump that seemed to be inside is really a cyst. The vet said it was a callous, but when I rubbed it he winced.

Ack...I have no idea! I don't want to stress him out with another vet visit.

He is still eating and drinking normally. Little piggy couldn't wait to get his paws on some food, but he hasn't moved from the same spot since yesterday morning. (I've taken him out a couple times since than so he isn't just lying in his waste)

luvofallhorses
03-06-2006, 08:58 PM
:( more prayers for Taffy. {{hugs}}