PDA

View Full Version : high quality food

icedtea
02-18-2006, 08:55 PM
I am trying my kittens on the expensive food again, its from the pet shop and its very expensive. We're goving it them again because they have had some runny poos lately and we remember they didnt used to have this problem on this food we are giving them now.

Anyway, because the food is so expensive, we cant give it to them for too long. I am wondering if science diet is high quality??

I think it may be my dads fault that theyre getting runny poos because he keeps buyign them diferent food and i think it might be upsetting their tummies.

catnapper
02-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Definately runny poos come from a constant supply of different foods. Keep to one food.

Science Diet is supposedly a premium food, but I don't like the fact that corn is the #1 ingredient. Try Nutro Max instead.... a few dollars cheaper and no corn.

Are you feeding them dry or wet food? Stop the wet if you are, since that can contribute to runny poo in some cats too.

PS: despite it being more expensive per bag of food, it actually is somewhat even in the end because cats eat less at a time (less fillers, more proper nutrition) and they poop less, which means less litter to scoop and less litter to replace at the end of the week.

icedtea
02-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Ill try to see fi i can find Nutro max, no guarantees, though becozz I live in new Zealand.

kimboe
02-18-2006, 09:26 PM
yep, changing their food al the time will cause runny poos. I heard science diet is ok, and it's affordable. I use Authority from petsmart. And the girls like it.
Try to stick with one type of brand and keep an eye on their coat and poop. If their fur is greasy it's not the cat but the food. And if they really stink when they poop, again it's the food. Not the cat... :p
Some cats do well on cheap food, It all depends on the kitty.

Catty1
02-19-2006, 12:47 AM
One thing you can try - but it takes a little bit of patience - is to cut off the ingredients label from the Science Diet, and compare it to other dry foods at the pet store. I have found good foods this way that don't cost as much. Definitely stick to one food.

Science Diet is a great food, but there are others.

Also, ask the staff at the pet store - they know their stuff!

hugs
Catty1

Jessika
02-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Definately runny poos come from a constant supply of different foods. Keep to one food.

Science Diet is supposedly a premium food, but I don't like the fact that corn is the #1 ingredient. Try Nutro Max instead.... a few dollars cheaper and no corn.

Are you feeding them dry or wet food? Stop the wet if you are, since that can contribute to runny poo in some cats too.

PS: despite it being more expensive per bag of food, it actually is somewhat even in the end because cats eat less at a time (less fillers, more proper nutrition) and they poop less, which means less litter to scoop and less litter to replace at the end of the week.

Ah, took the words right out of my mouth :) I couldn't agree more.

Science Diet is OK.. but for the quality its a bit overpriced for what you're paying for... which is mostly corn. :(

icedtea
02-19-2006, 01:52 AM
if i wanted my kittens to be eatign corn, i would have fed them my dinner tonight!!

G535
02-19-2006, 02:14 AM
My cat has dry and wet food daily and he's a healthy thirteen years old. Whiskas is the brand but I don't know if you have it in NZ. A lot of the US brands I see mentioned here are not available in Australia.

I also agree with what the others said, stick with one brand. :)

catmandu
02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
All The Different Companies Will Say Thier Food Is Best,but I Have Tried All The Foods And Have Never Had Trouble With Science Diet,or Nutro Max.
Thier Favorite Is The Nutro Complete Care Indoor Senior,even The Kitten Trio Do Well On That.
And I Bought The Eukanuba Pouches As Well
And They Love That As Well.
Thats Wonderful That You Are Concerned A Lot Of Peolpe Just Get The Cheapest Stuff,and Dont Really Care If Its Any Good.

sirrahbed
02-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Does anyone have the link to that site that has a chart comparing many brands of food??

I can also say that changing foods makes my cats have runny poo, too. I have tried to give them a brand name diet but they get the runs. I go back to good old Purina Cat Chow and everyone is happy and has normal poo :)

Jessika
02-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Does anyone have the link to that site that has a chart comparing many brands of food??

http://naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

:D

icedtea
02-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi! This morning my Dad opened different lot of food, as we havent been able to tell him that we're keepign them on certain food, he got home at midnight last night and he fed them different food argh! i hope it gets back to normal soon.