PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a dog? Don't fly Delta Airlines

ramanth
02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
This is not my story, but the original poster encouraged crossposting, and I'm just horrified what this airline/airport did.

[email protected]
Subject: Major Airline screw up

Last Friday had to be one of the very most frustrating days of my entire life. Never have I encountered, all at once, such a group of un-co-operative uncaring people all working at the same company. The company is Delta Airlines.

Looking back, I should have realized that something was different. I have shipped puppies with Delta for over 30 years. This time, when I called the Pets First desk to make the reservation, at about 6 am one morning I got a recording telling me that it was closed and that I should call back during office hours. The recording did not say what those office hours were.

When I finally did get through to them later in the day after being on hold "waiting for the next available representative" for 25 minutes I made a reservation for last Friday, Feb. 3, 2006 for a puppy to go "Pets First" from Ft. Myers FL to Bloomington, Illinois, with a change of planes in Atlanta. I specifically asked them to check that the planes were big enough for a 200 crate, and was assured that both were full size Delta jets.

I went up to the airport cargo on Thurs. Feb. 2 to do the paper work, surrender the health certificates, etc. since the flight was at 6:55 on Friday morning and this would simplify . On Friday morning, I took puppy, crate, newspaper, towel, stuffed toy, baby blanket, an unopened bottle of water , dry food in a zip lock bag, and plastic dishes attached to the door of the shipping crate. Every inch of the crate and all items were examined, approved , and placed in or taped to the crate. This was at 5:30 in the morning.

My name and number, owner to be's name and number, were on at least 3 pieces of paperwork attached to the crate. My name, address, and telephone number are on the crate side in black laundry marker.

Puppy was to arrive in Bloomington at 11:30. At that time the new owner called me. The puppy was not on the plane. She was frantic. No one had called either of us. The airline did not know where he was. An hour later he was located in Atlanta. They informed us that he was not on the plane because they had used a different plane that did not allow dogs. So they just let him sit there. THEY NEVER CALLED TO LET US KNOW!.

No other flight with appropriate plane was scheduled that day. It was then arranged that he would fly (at 2:40 pm) to Peoria, Illinois and arrive there at 3:20 (change of time zones). OK - things happen. Not happy, but puppy would get there and new owner would drive to get him in Peoria. Then 3:20 arrived, so did the plane, and THE PUPPY WAS NOT ON THE PLANE. THEY NEVER CALLED EITHER ONE OF US TO SAY THAT HE WOULD NOT BE ON THE PLANE. I had called the Pet First Desk and been on hold for 60 minutes one time before giving up and 50 minutes another to make sure he was on the plane and never contacted a real person. The tracking site on the Delta web site would not show anything. A real person told us later that they DO NOT TRACK DOG SHIPMENTS, ONLY PLANES.

It took two hours for them to find him, still at the Atlanta airport. I was FRANTIC - I am 10 hours away from Atlanta. The new owner (at the airport in Peoria) was frantic. Once they located him (I am going, "has he been out to potty, has he got water, was he offered food?" - oh yes, he is fine, right here in front of me wagging tail.)

Arrangements made to put him on a plane at 8:40 pm. Got through to the pet desk at 9:00 - NO - THE PUPPY WAS NOT ON THAT FLIGHT - HE WAS STILL IN ATLANTA. Told to call a "logistics" number I found that he had not been put on that flight because it was carrying dry ice. BUT THEY NEVER CALLED EITHER OF US TO TELL US-------------WHY WHY WHY------------silence. Now, they told me, he would have to go to a kennel as they couldn't keep him at the airport for over four hours. I am to the screaming stage - he has already BEEN at the D------ airport for over 12 hours. Is the puppy OK, is he dehydrated? Has he been allowed out of the crate, does he have water? Puppy, they said, is fine. Will go to a kennel. I will be billed. They have no idea when puppy will fly to Illinois. ALSO TELL ME NOW THAT HE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN SHIPPED OUT WITHOUT A FAX FROM ME CHANGING HIS DESTINATION. NEVER EVER MENTIONED THIS BEFORE ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell them to hold - using cell phone I call Kitty Cahoon who is at dog shows in Atlanta. Kitty immediately agrees to go and get the puppy - I convey this to the idiot that I am talking to who then transfers me to another idiot who says that they won't release the puppy to anyone without a FAX. I stop trying to reason with them and scream that it is now 11:30 at night and I don't have a bloody FAX machine. No budging them. A rule. A contract that I signed that morning giving them jurisdiction over the puppy. I tell them that the contract has already been broken by THEM - that it was to deliver the puppy to Bloomington 12 hours earlier. I finally told them I would find a FAX machine if I had to drive 100 miles to do that - to not send the dog to a kennel. I am terrified that I will never see this puppy alive again. Finally my daughter gets hold of someone in the newpaper office that she knows and a FAX is sent.

Kitty picks up the puppy. He is, thank God, alive. He is also dehydrated, un- watered, un-fed and in a kennel with urine and stool, dirty paper, bedding, and toys. To her it seems he has never been taken out or fed or watered. In that shipping crate for 18 hours.

They go back to the show grounds to her RV and I sink to the floor crying and threatening to sue Delta for the inhumane and callous way they have managed to lose this pup and cause trauma to us all.

This is Sunday. Puppy was not in good enough shape to try to fly him yesterday. Fluids have helped and he is now back to acting good. Delta wants to "start over" to get him to Peoria. They also want me to pay another $200 to do so. Guess what - I have called my credit card company and that charge already there will be disputed until the day I die. I WILL NEVER USE DELTA TO SHIP A PUPPY AGAIN. I will tell everyone I know of the horrible way we were treated. I will contact every Delta official that I can get a name/address for. Any other suggestions? I WILL FOLLOW THROUGH.

All through this whole thing not one employee of Delta ever apologised for the problems. Not once did anyone, except for one ticket agent in Bloomington, even express sympathy. I told the last person I talked to at the Atlanta airport that if that puppy died that "heads would roll". Well, the puppy has survived. Kitty has him safe with her. We don't know at this time if he will continue his trip or what.

Right now we are just glad that he is alive. But heads are still going to roll.

Please feel free to post to any and all lists and concerned people so they can't do this to anyone else.

Marcia Deugan
ZIYADAH Sussex Spaniels

cyber-sibes
02-17-2006, 09:44 AM
:eek: What a nightmare!!!!! I'm glad that poor puppy is safe and in good hands. Hope the next leg of his journey goes smoother! Well, :rolleyes: cross Delta off my list!

sandragonfly
02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
sigh. people.

poor dog! and you owners. :(

no need to cross out. :rolleyes: it has been, a long time ago! their disability services suck too. too bad delta has some great deals to use.

ramanth
02-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Plus the Whippet that was lost at JFK was flown via Delta.

LuvGold00
02-17-2006, 12:38 PM
What other airlines fly dogs? I have used Delta in the past, with good luck.

Poor Puppy!

CathyBogart
02-17-2006, 01:27 PM
HOLY HELL!! If I ever have to move with a dog I'll make it a road trip. 0_0

Kfamr
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
I think it's more like, don't fly a dog alone.

I have used Delta both times I went to Utah. I've done tons of research reguarding pet airlines and out of a handful of airlines I looked into, Delta had the least incidents - none of them fatal. All of the others had fatalities and horrible incidents.

Husky_mom
02-17-2006, 02:03 PM
OMG!! how horrible!!! thank God the puppy is ok now......... that so upsetting having this people like nothing happened arggg!!

IRescue452
02-17-2006, 02:51 PM
I like the rule "never fly a dog alone". Or any animal at that matter. Or most posessions. They aren't going to take the time to let an animal out or feed it, this is a shipping service, not a caretaking service. Anybody with a brain and money for a private airplane could make some major bank if they started a proper animal shipping service.

Thandi
02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
I flew my Rhodie and 3 cats from South AFrica to California in 1997. KLM, to be highly recommended (of course, that doesn't help for within the US!) They have a special pet hotel in Amsterdam where they walk/play/feed the animals. When I picked them up at LAX their SAfrican newspapers were still in the crates, not a spot on them! That was two 12-hour flights! I can't imagine how scary it is for animals to fly, though.

Giselle
02-17-2006, 06:52 PM
I saw this on another dog forum, and my heart really goes out to Vivi's and this pup's owners. I can only imagine the loss the Whippet breed is feeling now with that gorgeous b*tch on the loose :( I believe the lady above is also a breeder of Labradors (Copperquest). I don't like flying dogs, mainly because I have terrible motion sickness and I can only imagine the stress of flying on any dog, regardless of age. If I were a breeder and somebody wanted me to ship my puppy to them, I probably would not. However, if they were a dedicated breeder/handler, I'd encourage them to fly out here and fly back home with the puppy under the seat. I know it's a bit much, but if you *really* want it...:p

PeppersMom
02-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Its horrifying how bad Delta treats its customers. I for one was rerouted on a Delta flight because of a storm a few years ago and the entire planeload of people were treated like dirt. They made no attempt to get us on another flight and were as rude as can be.Most of us were greeted warmly by other airlines who were more than happy to take Deltas tickets. That day, I decided to NEVER fly them again much less ever put one of my pets in their care.
:mad: All petowners out there: Boycott Delta and e-mail their offices in Atlanta and tell them how you feel about this poor puppy. They should be ashamed of themselves and I hope they finally do go out of business. :mad:

Corinna
02-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Man Am I glad I got pissed just by the jerking around I got just asking questions . I had called about shipping Tyson. Bloomington would have been a plane change area.
I awas not sure about it in the first place since I have worked at an airport that delta flies in to . We chased more loose dogs Than I want to talk about.

sammy101
02-25-2006, 09:18 PM
thats just terrible.We've always flown our dogs with Air Canada and American,and we flew our RB girls on Lufthansa. Air Canada was very helpful with us,they even came on the plane to tell us our pets were safely on the plane.