PDA

View Full Version : Greenies for Dogs ALERT!!!

lvpets2002
02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
:( The news last night & this morning has made a ALERT on Dog Greenies due to five cases reported of dogs death due to Greenies causing blockage in the colon... Now my dogs dont like them, but my cats love the kitty greenies.. The report also stated that PetsMart had no comments on the matter..

animal_rescue
02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html

Kfamr
02-17-2006, 01:34 PM
If you do a search, there are many threads posted about this (just letting you know incase you want to see everyone's views.)

To state mine agian.... It's not Greenies fault.

CathyBogart
02-17-2006, 01:36 PM
I gotta agree, it's not Greenies' fault.

fritz03
02-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Fritz has had no problemin eating the greenies.i put them in the microwave to soften it up and he enjoys.We wouldn't hesitate in getting them again.

Jessika
02-17-2006, 01:54 PM
How is it not greenie's fault when they claimed their product is 100% digestable when it is indeed NOT 100% digestable?? Recently they changed it to 85% digestable but even then, that's not the case.

Kfamr
02-17-2006, 01:56 PM
And it also states...

"As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Gulping any item can be harmful or even fatal to a dog."

Jessika
02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Of course, but at the same time, don't say your product is whatever percentage digestable when it is not. If a product isn't fully digestable, whether we monitor their intake or not, won't help at all.

This has happened to dogs whether they have chewed every bite thoroughly or gulped. So I don't see how that statement helps..

Kfamr
02-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Of course, but at the same time, don't say your product is whatever percentage digestable when it is not. If a product isn't fully digestable, whether we monitor their intake or not, won't help at all.

This has happened to dogs whether they have chewed every bite thoroughly or gulped. So I don't see how that statement helps..

I guess our opinions just differ. I believe too many people try and blame companies for something they had no fault in.

As far as your last statement.... Where have you seen this? Every report I've seen states that large chunks have been taken out of the dog's intestines, never thoroughly chewed. Just curious.

Jessika
02-17-2006, 02:16 PM
I guess our opinions just differ. I believe too many people try and blame companies for something they had no fault in.

As far as your last statement.... Where have you seen this? Every report I've seen states that large chunks have been taken out of the dog's intestines, never thoroughly chewed. Just curious.

Mainly talk on other forums on the topic from some who have had it personally happen to them and have had their dogs die from it. They COULD be over exaggerating but don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the company itself, but greenies definitely not all they're made out to be, you know? I know there have been cases where the greenie WAS chewed and then it clumped in the intestines and caused blockage.. etc. And not just with small dogs, either.

Of course, gulping will probably increase the risk, of course, as it would with ANY food or treat.

Vela
02-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, LOTS of companies lie about their products all the time for the bottom line, which is money. So I don't see why this company would be exempt from it. I don't see what a vet would gain by saying they found a gelatinous mass that was not digestible, if it wasn't true. In all honestly the company is not telling the truth about it being digestible to the extent they claim. Now that it not a cause for people to stop giving them if they feel that their situations pose no problems and if they like the product, but honest representation of a product SHOULD be a priority, but for many many companies it's not. I do blame companies for doing whatever it takes to sell product, to the point of lying, and it's not just about the greenies, it happens all the time with all sorts of different companies.

My dog once ate a pin cushion full of pins and was able to pass them all, but that doesn't make them safe to give. Everyone has to decide if a product is safe, in their opinion, to give, but companies should be held responsible for not telling the full truth about their products.