PDA

View Full Version : Important information for Canadians!!

king2005
02-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Someone mentioned that they were going to laminated their Birth Certificate on another site, as it was their only form of ID & didn't want it to get damaged as its only paper.

DO NOT laminated your Birth Certificate, as that will cause it to be VOID!

WAY WAY WAY back PEI Birth Certificates came laminated, so those are NOT Void. I'm not sure with other provinces, but dad was sure it was ONLY PEI way back that ever did that.

If you are Canadian & have laminated Birth Certificate, read the back of it & it will tell you that you have Voided it. So you need to apply for a new one ASAP.

I put mine in a plastic Hockey sleeve & taped it closed :) Aslong as the paper isn't ruined by encasing it, its ALL goood :)

It might be a gooid idea for non Canadians to make sure their paper ID hasn't been voided by laminatting it as well :)

davidpizzica
02-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Someone mentioned that they were going to laminated their Birth Certificate on another site, as it was their only form of ID & didn't want it to get damaged as its only paper.

DO NOT laminated your Birth Certificate, as that will cause it to be VOID!

WAY WAY WAY back PEI Birth Certificates came laminated, so those are NOT Void. I'm not sure with other provinces, but dad was sure it was ONLY PEI way back that ever did that.

If you are Canadian & have laminated Birth Certificate, read the back of it & it will tell you that you have Voided it. So you need to apply for a new one ASAP.

I put mine in a plastic Hockey sleeve & taped it closed :) Aslong as the paper isn't ruined by encasing it, its ALL goood :)

It might be a gooid idea for non Canadians to make sure their paper ID hasn't been voided by laminatting it as well :)
Thanks for the information. I need a copy of my birth certificate when I go to Canada later this year. I won't laminate it.

moosmom
02-17-2006, 08:51 AM
I never thought of laminating my birth certificate. It's got a raised seal on it which WOULD make it void if were laminated.

You are also not supposed to laminate your Social Security Card.

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
"Laminate" , is that the same as "plastify"?

moosmom
02-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Yes.

davidpizzica
02-17-2006, 09:01 AM
I never thought of laminating my birth certificate. It's got a raised seal on it which WOULD make it void if were laminated.

You are also not supposed to laminate your Social Security Card.
OOPS! I laminated my social security card. Am I in trouble?

Edwina's Secretary
02-17-2006, 10:29 AM
David...I would recommend you get a new social security card. An employer who accepts a laminated social security card as proof of the right to work in the US, and is audited by the Department of Homeland Security will be fine $125. Many employers do not know this....I learned the hard way.

It does state on your card something about federal offense. :rolleyes:

poofy
02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
wow i didnt know all this..ooops David, get a new one.. :eek:

BC_MoM
02-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Hmm.. I'm going to the States in July and I don't have a birth certificate or a passport. But I'm still getting across with a baptismal certificate. :D

emily_the_spoiled
02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I am not sure you can get across with a baptismal certificate. The guys at the border need to see prove of citizenship. That is why they need a birth certificate or passport. If you aren't going until July you still have plenty of time to order either one of those. Personally I would suggest the birth certificate, because you will need that to get the passport.

But have a fun trip when you do come!

BTW, PEI is not the only province that issued laminated birth certificates. I have mine from Saskatchewan and it came laminated.

BC_MoM
02-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Well, my brother gets across with his baptismal, so I don't think we'll have a problem. :D

slick
02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Hmm.. I'm going to the States in July and I don't have a birth certificate or a passport. But I'm still getting across with a baptismal certificate. :D
I doubt that will work now. About two years ago we took my Mom across the border for her birthday. She has no birth certificate nor a passport but she did show her expired driver's license. That did get her across then because it had her picture and signature on it, but I'm sure that would not do the trick now. Over here in BC they are very strict and do require proof of citizenship. If that certificate works, then I apologize. Before Pet Talk, I never had a passport because I never travelled. Now that I have Pet Talk meetings to go to :) , I will always carry it for travel.

Oh and getting back to the orginal subject of this thread, my BC is laminated but that was the practice in the early 50's. I've never had a problem with it but I do need another one because the numbers on the back are fading and it won't be acceptable when I renew my passport. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see your post above. That really surprises me.

new mom to a veiled
02-17-2006, 12:30 PM
If you need to apply for a Canadaian birth cert (and live in Ontario) you can go to www.cbs.gov.on.ca look under "Births, Deaths, and Marriages" or look in the BLUE pages of you phone book. If you apply on line it is a $25-$35 (paid by credit card) fee but you have it in 15 days........

BTW I have an Ont birth cert that is laminated.....I suppose I'm just "old" I think they stopped laminating them in the late 70's early 80's........... :p My kids birth certs are just paper, and if you have one that is laminated and have it replaced you will get one that is paper.