PDA

View Full Version : New Addition!!

Toby's my baby
02-16-2006, 07:36 PM
:D I got a new cat!! :D Ok, I don't know if I get to keep it yet, but here's the story. . ..

At school, last Saturday, there was a cat outside, and it was VERY skinny. So I bought food from the concession stands, (at the basketball game) and gave it to him. He is so friendly, but isnt crazy about being held yet. He's just like a dog, follows you wherever you go. .. Well, it has been in the -10 degrees this past week, and today I desided (after spending my whole lunch break outside in the FREEZING cold playing with it) that I had to take it home. Well, it turned out that my dad had to come an pick us up from school, because we missed the bus. . .I picked him up, and didnt say anything to my dad, and just put him in the topper on my dads truck. :p When I got in, my dad's was just like, GET HIM OUT! but I refused, and told him that it was skinny, and didnt have any food or shelter, so he let me take him.

Right now, he is in my grandpa's shop, which is heated, with food and water, and a blanket and a cat bed. I really want to bring him in, but, I dont want to let him have an accident, so I was wondering, if I have a litterbox in my room, would he use it do you think? Even if he might haved never used one before in his life?? My old cat did that, used a litter box, when I had to keep her in the house, when she got sick, and she had never used on before. . . ??

Thanks guys!!

O, by the way, he needs a name!! I was maybe thinking Pepper? Here are some pictures. .. .

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/BPhilipp/DSC07863.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/BPhilipp/DSC07865.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/BPhilipp/DSC07871.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/BPhilipp/DSC07873.jpg

:D

catmandu
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Pepper Is Quite A Nice Name,and That Was Wonderful Of You To Take This Poor Starry Cat In,from The Cold.
Bless You For Caring,helping And Feeding Pepper ,your New Friend.

auggie
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Why don’t you put a litter box in the shop and see if he uses it.
It comes natural to most cats.
Bless you for bringing the little guy into a warm place.
He is adorable!

Toby's my baby
02-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks everybody! :) I have a litterbox in there now, but he hasn't used it yet. I've been checking in on him every so often, but with no such luck. I want to bring him in tonight but dont want to wake up to an accident. I HAVE to keep him in my room, so that he doesn't see C.P, and so they dont come in contact with each other, since I'm assuming that he hasn't had any shots.

Toby's my baby
02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Another question:

He is VERY skinny, you can feel all his bones, even though you cant tell it in the pictures, but, should I let him eat when he wants, or should I just feed him twice a day, only a certain amount?

Catty1
02-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I can't advise on the eating, others here rescue stray cats, so they would know better. Some strays are so hungry they bolt all their food, then throw it up because they ate so quickly.

Since he is very hungry and might be dehydrated, it might be a few hours before he HAS anything to put in the litter box! :)

You can also call your local SPCA or Humane or your vet for advice.

Pepper is GORGEOUS - I love his eyes!

sandragonfly
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
yikes, have you (vet) tested him for fatal diaseases (flv&fiv) yet? that would be the first thing I do before I bring any stray inside to other healthy cats.

so far sounds you have been doing a great job! :) on food, I reccomend to not feed too much (let him gorge up) or give too little (less than 1/2 cup a day) - standard suggestion from vets amount of food for a cat a day is about 1/2 to 1 cup - I understand he's so skinny today but by time you feed him rountinely, morning and evening (or once a day in same amount) and in about two weeks, he'll be one little chubby happy boy! :D I wouldn't start with big amount of food because it can mess pepper's appetitte later on, expecting more food, etc. unless your way is to free-feed, just to watch his weight carefully - some cats get effected (overweighted) easily.

pepper is lovely! love his eyes, does he cross his sweet eyes sometimes? I think pepper suits him well, my black girl who just had her name changed from peppers to midnight, she said he can have it! :cool:

icedtea
02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
What a sweetie!! How fabulous for you. a cat hangs around my school, it looks healthy though. I have a kinda wish that I will save a cat or kitten at some stage.

moosmom
02-16-2006, 09:27 PM
What a beauty he is!! The reason there's nothing in the box is he probably hasn't eaten in a while, being as skinny as he is.

Make sure he's got water as well as the food. Keep a bowl of dry food available all the time. Cats like to nibble.

I like the name Pepper! I don't see why you can't keep him in your room with his litterbox, food and water. At least he won't be alone.

Please, if you can, make sure you have him tested for Feline Aids and Feline Leukemia and also have him vaccinated.

Good luck with your new puddy. Keep us posted!!

Toby's my baby
02-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok, thanks for the info everybody!

No, I just got him a few hours ago, so he hasn't been to the vet yet.. . .. sadly, my dad told me that he is NOT getting fixed, but trust me, i'll change his mind. . .. Hopefully I can get him to the vet soon, if my parents are going to let me keep him. I dont have school on monday, so I could make an appointment for then. .. .

NoahsMommy
02-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Congrats on the new addition.

I hope dad changes his mind. That's not fair to this sweet boy to have to deal with all those hormones if he doesn't have to. :(

He's such a cutie pie! I LOVE his eyes! :)

Catty1
02-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Explain to the vet about the neutering situation(assuming he isn't already), and see if there is a low-cost spay-neuter organization where you are.

Good luck!

Toby's my baby
02-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks again everybody!

Catty1 - we arent worried about the money, at all. My dad just doesnt get why people spend the money, on their babies. . :o it's sad, I know. But he just doesn't understand. My sister and I pay for all the vet bills, and everything for our pets. My dad just doesnt think that we should be spending the money on them. . .:(

sandragonfly
02-16-2006, 11:21 PM
:confused: :confused: ..then why is he letting you keep pepper? it costs to keep a pet! :p

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Pepper sure is adorable and I hope that you'll be able to keep him. :) Hopefully he's also healthy and that you'll also be able to get him neutered. If you don't then he may start spraying everywhere, getting into fights with other male cats, and straying from home for several days when there's a female cat that's in heat. I hope that you can try to educate your father about the importance of spaying and neutering animals. Good luck. :)

Toby's my baby
02-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks everybody!!

Catty1- Thank you so so much for explaining that, like you said, it is so hard to know when someone is being sarcastic/ joking on the internet. I was pretty sure you were just joking around, but I just thought I would check ;)

Just wondering, I have never had a male cat before, is there anything different about them that I should know?

Catty1
02-17-2006, 09:04 AM
If male cats are unneutered, as krazyaboutkatz said, he will wander away when there is a female in heat somewhere(and produce more lost skinny unwanted kittens). He will be territorial, and get into fights with other tomcats.

But almost worst of all - his pee will STINK! Like you wouldn't believe!

When I was a little girl, we lived in the Arctic, and there were NO vets. Our tomcat was a pretty good boy, but peed in my and my sister's box of Barbie clothes one day.

Took about six hand washings with lemon dish soap to get the smell out - and even then, if you held one of the items right up to your nose, there was the faintest remains of the stink.

Also, because the urethra in males is smaller than in females, urinary tract infections and crystals can be more of a problem to them. However, because of that - they are easier to spot.

"My" cat, when I was 11 or so, was also named Pepper. However, we all called him Beazle. Because of his pointier muzzle, he was a "weasley beast".

He was put down in 1969, because of crystals...there were no preventive diets then, and little effective treatment. Recurrence meant euthansia. I cried for ages.

Sorry, I digressed! Your Pepper is SO gorgeous!

hugs
Catty1

Toby's my baby
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Just found out about the smell. . .. turns out using the litterbox doesnt just come naturally for him, he just peed in my sisters bed, :eek: :rolleyes: So now he is out in the shed for now, I dont know what to do, I dont want him to have to stay outside, but right now, that's the only option.

Catty1
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Whenever I have brought a new adult cat home, I do the same thing I do with kittens - gently put kitty into the litter box, take their front paws and do the 'scratching' motion in the litter. Since cats do that in the wild, they should catch on.

Even a full tom can usually get that, you might have to do it once or twice.

Pepper could have done it out of nervousness too - new place. And if he is not neutered yet, that is how tomcats mark their territory - pee!

I swear by the 'litter box training' - it's never failed me.

hugs
Catty1