PDA

View Full Version : You know you're getting to be a (slightly) overboard pet owner when...

My Peanuts
02-16-2006, 03:04 PM
when you leave for work and you leave the TV on, but you don't want to leave Animal Planet on incase the dogs can understand what's going on in those pet rescue shows. I don't want them to be scared!

I came across that one this morning when I left for work. Such a dilemma!

I know we had a thread like this before, but I thought it'd be fun to start a new one. Please add your own things you do for your pets that none pet people would think you are crazy for but around here it's 100% normal. :p

Kfamr
02-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Yep.. I leave Nickelodeon cartoons on a majority of the time. :p On vet/rescue shows, Kiki actually gets scared when she hears a dog yelping.

Lizzie
02-16-2006, 04:14 PM
Well, there is the obvious financial overboard tendencies such as delaying crown work for 3 years now because I can't say no to vet treatments, and there have been many, many in the past several years.

Then there is routine indigestion from eating dinner over a very large Big Ted cat on my lap. He's there now, in fact, but it's just giving me back ache and arm strain to reach over him to the keyboard. I actually consider this routine but when I think about it, I'm sure there are "normal" people who would scoot him off onto the bed where he'd be perfectly comfortable.

I'll treat myself to flavored popcorn instead of potato chips, which I prefer, because the cats prefer the popcorn and it's healthier for them.

It's good to be here and laugh about these things instead of keeping them to yourself because many people would think you were pathetic or crazy.

lizbud
02-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Smokey & Maggie prefer to watch CNN while I'm gone. The kitties
sleep all afternoon anyway, so they don't really care. :D

Flatcoatluver
02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
I couldn't think of any good ones but...

you've learned to sew so you can keeep your dogs favorite toys.

My Peanuts
02-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I couldn't think of any good ones but...

you've learned to sew so you can keeep your dogs favorite toys.

LOL, I did that with RB Angie. She had this cheap ratty stuffy ball that she loved. I had to sew it like 10 times or more, literally.

Flatcoatluver
02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
I know lol. I set down 4 hours every month so I can sew all of zoey toys. I mean I tried one day to throw one toy away and she saw me and would not leave the garbage can, untill i got the point. It funny how dogs train their owners.

moosmom
02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
I put the radio on classical music. Who says cats can't have a little cultcha???

Flatcoatluver
02-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I put the radio on classical music. Who says cats can't have a little cultcha???
ha ha ha!!! that reminds me at work (i work at a dog kennels) we can change the music to whatever radio channel, but before i leave i have to turn it back to classical, because it make the dogs fall asleep faster!

AlleyCat
02-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, I have been known to leave the TV on too while I'm gone, and also the wood-burning stove (if at least one other person is home while I'm gone, that is) so that Millie can continue to sleep by it :) I also think twice before I throw things away like cardboard boxes, etc -- I have to let the kitties have a shot at them first! :)

Felix
02-16-2006, 05:07 PM
I have made a room just for Felix.Filled with tons of cat items,cat condo,his own recliner chair and a tv which is left on for him at all times.I also leave the radio on in the kitchen while out. :o

My Peanuts
02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Here’s one but it's a little gross. Jimmy and I got a urinary tract infection in the same week, no idea why. I took Jimmy to the vet within hours of symptoms. I didn't go to the doctor until the middle of the next week. :D

Lizzie
02-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Here’s one but it's a little gross. Jimmy and I got a urinary tract infection in the same week, no idea why. I took Jimmy to the vet within hours of symptoms. I didn't go to the doctor until the middle of the next week. :D

Why do we do that?! I do exactly the same sort of thing and keep reminding myself that if I get really sick, they don't get the help they need.

Felix's reponse reminded me of something that I consider normal but that would puzzle non-overboard-pet people. Two of my bedrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs, are litter rooms. There are 3-1/2 litter boxes per cat (I scoop at least once a day, often twice) and I consider that appropriate. I remember giving a work-mate a severe scold when she told me, laughing, how her cat was walking around her one litter box, refusing to go in, because it hadn't been cleaned for a week. The work-mate said she'd pointed out one small cleanish spot and told her cat to use that. I was so enraged, I could feel all the hair on the nape of my neck and arms rise. The scold worked, though, and she told me later that she'd learned a good lesson.

I wonder how many of you have been about to take the last scoop of something delicious from your plate, like the cream from the top of a cake, looked at your cat (or dog's) face and given it to them instead?

My Peanuts
02-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Why do we do that?! I do exactly the same sort of thing and keep reminding myself that if I get really sick, they don't get the help they need.

Felix's reponse reminded me of something that I consider normal but that would puzzle non-overboard-pet people. Two of my bedrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs, are litter rooms. There are 3-1/2 litter boxes per cat (I scoop at least once a day, often twice) and I consider that appropriate. I remember giving a work-mate a severe scold when she told me, laughing, how her cat was walking around her one litter box, refusing to go in, because it hadn't been cleaned for a week. The work-mate said she'd pointed out one small cleanish spot and told her cat to use that. I was so enraged, I could feel all the hair on the nape of my neck and arms rise. The scold worked, though, and she told me later that she'd learned a good lesson.

I wonder how many of you have been about to take the last scoop of something delicious from your plate, like the cream from the top of a cake, looked at your cat (or dog's) face and given it to them instead?

Nothing I see surprises me because if I had the money I'd be on one of those shows with like a whole house built just for my dogs. Anyone ever see, I think it's called, Pet Palace on HGTV? I saw it once and I want to see them all.