PDA

View Full Version : So SAd WAtch the video...Greenies :(

poofy
02-15-2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html?eref=aol

Kfamr
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
It is very sad, but can be prevented. I realize not all dogs will stop chewing when told to, however, if watched and made sure they are properly chewed, they are completely fine! Just like any dog chew, toy, treat, etc. It needs to be made sure it's properly chewed before eating.

I guess the sudden outbreak in so many incidents involving Greenies is their increasing popularity over the years, bound to happen to every consumer product out there I suppose.

BC_MoM
02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
You know, it is VERY sad.. but I don't blame Greenies. You should always watch your dog while it's eating any kind of bone and should most definitely not have let it swallow a piece as big as that Boxer had in his intestine.

Out of the millions of dogs who have had greenies only 13 dogs have died, and when you think about that odd, it's not that high.

Again, the problem is people aren't watching their dogs carefully enough, it's not the companies fault. In my opinion, and many of coworkers at 3 different rescues.

BC_MoM
02-15-2006, 05:35 PM
We were just having a discussion about greenies on the Border Collie Rescue and here is what a rescue president said about them:

"I've read a bunch of articles about this before, but I missed the CNN piece. My feeling is that if these things really were killing that many dogs they would have been pulled off the market. Regardless of if they're popular, the company wouldn't be able to afford the lawsuits that would be flying at it.

I've never had trouble with my dogs or cats having greenies, though they don't get them often since they're expensive and my dogs need something that will last a little longer. My boys also chew them up pretty well, at least from what I've seen.

Think about how many dogs die from choking on rawhides or from an intenstinal obstruction caused by rawhide. Nothing that we give our dogs to chew on and swallow is 100% safe. There's always a chance that they'll choke or have some other problem. So it's up to us to supervise and pick the right things for each dog to be chewing on."

Twisterdog
02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I agree with the others .... Greenies are like any other treat or item - you MUST watch and control your dog. Dogs can die from eating rawhide, panty hose, rocks, socks, ANYthing.

My sister's dog got the dresser drawer open, after opening the closed bedroom door BTW, and ate about twenty socks. $2,000 of emergency surgeries and two months later, she is fine.

I had a customer who had to rush her dog to the vet at midnight for a likewise costly surgery ... after the dog ate pounds of gravel out the the driveway. They had had the dog, and the gravel driveway, for ten years prior to this with no incident.

My dogs get, and will continue to get, Greenies. And I will continue to watch them while they eat them.

BC_MoM
02-15-2006, 05:40 PM
And look what it even said in the CNN video on the back of the Greenies bag:

"As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Gulping any item can be harmful or even fatal to a dog".

:)

sandragonfly
02-15-2006, 05:49 PM
one thing I don't understand.. maybe I missed it or am dummy but they didn't mention any specifically size what have stucked in those dogs who died.

like, it could be many bit crumbs built up, sticked up together and clogged or was it bigger than a olive? a whole cranberry or the like? either way we can or not blame.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I agree with everyone. I love Greenies, I buy the little ones for my cats, as well as the treats and have never had a problem. If you let your dog swallow a piece of any treat that size - you are at fault, NOT the company. It clearly has a warning on the bag that everyone should follow. Any treat, such as raw bones, rawhide, NylaBones ect. should have your supervision while your dog chews them. Kongs and other chew toys should be checked daily for damage. If you follow the instructions, monitor your dog and buy the right size of treat, you shouldn't have a problem.

:)

Vela
02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't use them myself because I see no health benefit for the risk for me personally. I have other things for them to chew on and with my dogs they can and do chew them up waaaay faster than a bully stick or bone, it's too soft for them, and their floppy jowls hide it while they are chewing so I would never be able to see how big of a piece they had actually gotten off, since they gnaw with their back teeth, unless I was laying on the ground in front of them with my face in their face and even then I most lkely couldn't see in their mouths. So I don't necessairly blame greenies, I just have no desire to use them myself, too expensive for no benefit in my case. I find bully sticks and raw bones better for my two and those are the only chews they get.

WolvesRawk
02-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Well, this can be common in many pet treats. Rawhide chews will expand in the dog's throat and choke them, even if the bite was small. They are so tough and leathery that if the bite is just slightly big, it has a great risk of expanding in the dog's esophagus. Baisically, those have to be shredded very finely to be completly safe. With Greenies being so compact, I've noticed that it is actually difficult for my dogs to eat them. They give up and leave them all over the house. Other veggie bones also clean teeth.(the bones with the little ridges that you can crack off with your hand) They are also easier for the dog to proporly chew, are broken down better in the digestive system, and are also not nearly as expensive as Greenies. It's very sad, but you do have to be careful when buying pet treats.

poofy
02-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Well, this can be common in many pet treats. Rawhide chews will expand in the dog's throat and choke them, even if the bite was small. They are so tough and leathery that if the bite is just slightly big, it has a great risk of expanding in the dog's esophagus. Baisically, those have to be shredded very finely to be completly safe. With Greenies being so compact, I've noticed that it is actually difficult for my dogs to eat them. They give up and leave them all over the house. Other veggie bones also clean teeth.(the bones with the little ridges that you can crack off with your hand) They are also easier for the dog to proporly chew, are broken down better in the digestive system, and are also not nearly as expensive as Greenies. It's very sad, but you do have to be careful when buying pet treats.

What kind of veggie bones do you buy??? :)

Daisy and Delilah
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Maybe she's talking about Denta-Stix? :)

poofy
02-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Maybe she's talking about Denta-Stix? :)

ok l wll ck them out..thanks.. :)

catnapper
02-16-2006, 07:36 AM
I've never given Nicki Greenies, but I have given them to the cats. They LOVE them, but if you're not careful, they'll throw up if you give them more than 2 or 3!

Personally, I think this hoopla is outrageous. Nobody has any personal responisibity anymore. Because THEY have not watched their dog, they blame someone else for THEIR negligence. Pass the buck.... we're becoming more and more of a blame society than ever :(

Pam
02-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Wow! The dog in the picture looks just like my RB granddog, Dale, a swissie! Bella and Ripley absolutely LOVE greenies, although I have to admit since hearing so much bad press I have cut back on how many I give them. I don't see them being as dangerous as rawhides but, as with all treats, we must monitor them carefully. :( I tend to agree with you Kim. People nowadays are quick to place the blame on anyone and anything but themselves.

elizabethann
02-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Oops...I just posted something on Dog General. I didn't see this thread. I'll go and delete it.

WolvesRawk
02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Maybe she's talking about Denta-Stix? :)No, that's not what they were. I forget what they're called but I got about 75 of them for about $5.00. My dogs like them tons more than Greenies because they're easier to chew. They are like bones and have ridges all over them. They're green and you can break off the ridges very easily. The only problem is the dogs may leave crumbles of them everywhere. I'll try to find out what they are but if I can't, I'll take a picture of one and post it. (I put them in a separate bag so I don't know the brand at the moment.) They are by far my favorate pet treat. (and they're my cats' and dogs' favorate too!)

poofy
02-16-2006, 08:20 PM
No, that's not what they were. I forget what they're called but I got about 75 of them for about $5.00. My dogs like them tons more than Greenies because they're easier to chew. They are like bones and have ridges all over them. They're green and you can break off the ridges very easily. The only problem is the dogs may leave crumbles of them everywhere. I'll try to find out what they are but if I can't, I'll take a picture of one and post it. (I put them in a separate bag so I don't know the brand at the moment.) They are by far my favorate pet treat. (and they're my cats' and dogs' favorate too!)

Where do you get them at? Thanks Pj :)

WolvesRawk
02-16-2006, 10:26 PM
It's simalar to the Nylabone Edible Chew and Brush, but to get the amount of them that I got, it would be about $100. :( :confused: I really wish I remembered what they were called or where I got them! I got them last year and I have a very VERY short memory. That's what they're very similar to. Sorry that I can't remember the exact brand. They really are great though. By banging them together, they will break, so it is very easy for the dog or cat to break off a small enough chunk to easily digest with no problem at all and still clean their teeth! :D

poofy
02-17-2006, 12:25 AM
It's simalar to the Nylabone Edible Chew and Brush, but to get the amount of them that I got, it would be about $100. :( :confused: I really wish I remembered what they were called or where I got them! I got them last year and I have a very VERY short memory. That's what they're very similar to. Sorry that I can't remember the exact brand. They really are great though. By banging them together, they will break, so it is very easy for the dog or cat to break off a small enough chunk to easily digest with no problem at all and still clean their teeth! :D

Thanks, my memory is not good at all, I sometimes :rolleyes: dont like to talk because I forget the word's for things..lol..lol..