PDA

View Full Version : Canon or Sony?

BC_MoM
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
* when I refer to "the Canon" or "the Sony" I'm referring to the Canon and Sony I'm going to list. Not all Canon's and Sony's.

With the money saved up from my birthday, I'm buying a new digital. I won't pay more than $279 Canadian.

Right now, and I'm sure this is the last time I'll alter my choices, it's between the Canon PowerShot A520 and the Sony CyberShot DSC S90. My Grandma has the Sony and I was playing with it the other night and loved it.. but I don't know. The Canon seems to pick up more saturated colours from what I've seen in sample photos (and this is a good thing, in some cases) and it also has a sports/action mode which the Sony does not.. but the Sony then, getting back at the Canon, has some pro's the Canon doesn't. The Sony has a really powerful flash for indoor shots, which is great from what I've seen on my Grandma's.. It's also great outdoors. The video mode is amazing, which is a big plus with me.. I wonder if I should borrow her camera and see if it suits me?

I reallyyyyy love the Sony.. but I haven't heard how it is with action shots.. and that whole thing where the Canon picks up more saturated colours is awesome but.. gahhhhhhh....

I've read a lot of reviews on both, but I still can't decide.. so vote!

lvpets2002
02-15-2006, 11:44 AM
:) Well I really dont know myself, but this man here at my work has a Canon Powershot A520 & just loves it.. He has showed me some of his pictures & the zooming & distance is just grand.. Hope this helps a wittle..

Kfamr
02-15-2006, 11:50 AM
I just had Robby (auntie RobYn on here) buy the A520 - and it's great.

The pro that you listed for the Sony is controllable on the Canon. It had an option where you can control the flash strength.

BC_MoM
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Oh, really? Hmm.. never knew that.

elizabethann
02-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I have the Canon and I love it. I think it takes good pictures and movies.

MariaM
02-15-2006, 01:06 PM
http://www.pbase.com/digipets/image/31345479

I love this site. It has wonderful pictures taken with a variety of cameras. Almost every picture has posted what camera was used, and the settings. I'm not sure if there are photos taken by any of the cameras you are considering, but you could look. Even if there aren't...the pictures are SO good, its fun to browse. :)

Anita Cholaine
02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a Sony Cyber Shot DSC-P93 and I'm happy with it. But I think I would go with the Canon... For what I've heard, I think they are better than Sony's. I think that my next camera is gonna be a Canon...

Good luck!! ;)

cloverfdx
02-15-2006, 07:14 PM
What Maria said, Pbase is a great site (Other than dpreview ;) ) look up the camera model and check out the photos. No one here can make up your mind for you thats something you will have to do for yourself.

Lizzie
02-15-2006, 07:19 PM
I just bought the Canon and love it. It took amazingly clear photos of a small item in a long distance landscape shot, and the pictures I'm taking of the cats indoors right now are extremely clear with excellent colour. Actually, the reason I chose this camera was because it felt good in my hands, for the price.

BC_MoM
02-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, it seems I'll most likely go with the audience on this one.. hehe.

Lizzie, do you have any samples of pictures you could share?

Lizzie
02-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I would love to post the pictures but haven't a clue how to do this. I have them in My Pictures but they are not .jpg so I don't think I can post them. Although it would let me rename a file, it didn't offer "save as" and I don't know if renaming it with a .jpg will change its format correctly. If you or someone else can pm me with instructions, I'd really appreciate it. I had planned on learning more about resizing, posting, loading etc. this weekend, it's on my list.

BC_MoM
02-16-2006, 10:15 AM
You can try uploading to www.tinypic.com. You can upload png, bmp, gif etc there I'm pretty sure.

Lizzie
02-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I haven't a clue what I'm doing but let's try the url and see what happens:

http://i1.tinypic.com/nx2e50.jpg

Well, the link works but I still need to figure out how to get images onto this forum. I searched the FAQ, but no help. There are a million hits on the web for uploading images. Any help appreciated.

MariaM
02-16-2006, 08:10 PM
When you have the picture you want, take the URL, in this case :
"http://i1.tinypic.com/nx2e50.jpg" and surround it with and so it looks like this.

www.54jk.com

You will want to resize your photos first though, since they can be a pain for those with dial-up. I hope that helped. :)

Jessika
02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Oh Jess if you're down to a Canon or a Sony, DEFINITELY go with the Canon. I would never get a Sony lol. That's just my opinion and experience, though. ;)

new mom to a veiled
02-17-2006, 12:39 PM
I got an A520 a few months ago and LOVE it..........