PDA

View Full Version : Agility/flyball equipment

slleipnir
02-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Anyone have any idea what the price range for a full set for both agility and flyball may cost?

A lot of people have told me "why not start your own club". I have actually been thinking about it...The thing is, I need 1)I place to practice. 2)equipment and 3) people! Some of those people need to have experiance with both these sports, because I certainly don't.

As a place, I was thinking of getting people together, and working on buying the equipment, and perhaps making some of it. Once I get so many people together, lets say 20, I would then like to talk to the Humane Society. They have a big dog park there with SOME agility equipment. I was going to see about having 1 day a week where the park is CLOSED to the public for a few hours only. Durning this time people can come and we can work on training the dogs, and have some runs for fun. I want it all to be for fun for now. Maybe it could grow, and we could have some teams, but mostly it won't be competitive at all. I would like to have an area for flyball, and an area for agility. I was thinking the people who would like to participate would pay a fee of some sort, this will go to the humane society. So, I can see this being useful to the HS. They will hopefully get people coming out weekly and seeing an asortment of dogs, perhaps they can have their dogs out too for people to adopt. Also, they will have access to a training center for their shelter dogs. Instead of just training the dogs to come or sit, they can say "partially trained in agility or flyball" wouldn't that look good for the dog? Perhaps it would help people to adopt that dog and continue training it (instead of just adopting it and not knowing they could do it with their dog) They would get money for their shelter too. The equipment would be provided...but maybe an add-on fenced area would be neccessary.

My major problem is, HOW do I get the equipment?! I certainly don't have that kind of money. Does anyone know of any websites that sells this stuff or even some ball-park prices? Also, what do think of this idea? It would only be a summer thing obviously.

Husky_mom
02-14-2006, 03:53 PM
you know....... flatcoatluver does agility too and i think......if i recall correctly she got an agility set or something for christmas maybe you can ask her where she got it and at what price............. hope it helps

i really hope you can make this through it sounds really nice and i think it would be great for all parts involved, good luck

Husky_mom
02-14-2006, 03:57 PM
ok this just hit my head, i think also cali MADE weave poles (i think) so you can make some out of PVC tubes you can find them at any hardware store even Home Depot and get all pieces like attachments and glue and all, the jumps you can do them right about the same, and the.......howdoyoucallit........up and down thingy...... just get a wood board adn some things that swivel doors...(i hope i was clear since i dont know names for that things in english :p )

dab_20
02-14-2006, 04:03 PM
You've got a great idea started. It could definatly work. Maybe Ebay has some flyball and agility equiptment? I know some of it you can make... you can just do a google search on it.

Wish you lots of luck!! :)

Pembroke_Corgi
02-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Yeah if you (or someone you know) is good at making things, it probably wouldn't be too hard to make some of the equiptment. An A-frame, maybe, or the weave poles, or the pause box wouldn't have to be anything too special- wouldn't card board work for practices?

I did see a "beginner's" agility set at a local pet store for $70, but I'm pretty sure that it would mainly be for home use...but here's a website I found:

http://www.affordableagility.com/home.htm

It still looks expensive to me, but I'm no expert :p , I just wanted to help out since it seems like a good idea.

*sled_dog*
02-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I am unsure about flyball equipment. But Agility equipment all varies. tunnels can cost anywhere from 50-150, same with chutes. and weaves about 40-100. I dont really know about the other equipment for buying... I made my tire, jumps, teeter, walk, & a-frame(and painted :p ) I quess it wasnt to hard, but it is worth it because I use all of it almost everyday during summer! :D
Hope that might help--- You could also go on different websites and compare prices :)

BORDER COLLIE LOVER
02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Hey have you got a Border Collie! I have my own flyball team almost! I have 3 and a Poodle because you cant have ALL Border Collies :rolleyes:
I thought about starting a team too and agility. I have the room, just dont live in Canada like you. That would of been fun though. :)

dog_pug123
02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
A flyball set... at least $100 and no more than $300

And an agility set will cost $600 to $1000

Good luck, and here is somewhere you can get some agility equiptment:

http://www.affordableagility.com/

And Flyball equiptment...

http://www.flyballequip.com/flyballequipment.htm

You can get information about agility and classes here...

http://www.agilityfun.com

EDIT: Agility classes usually cost $50-$100

Flatcoatluver
02-14-2006, 10:29 PM
hey..... well Zoey and T.j show in agility and so we HAD to have equiment to practise on. For the tunnel i bought a little kids tunnel and it fit zoey and t.j perfect. for the weave poles, tetter totter, tire, table, a frame, and jumps my dad made them and i have no idea how. He got instruction on how to build it online. Chute are really easy. All you need is one of those blue barrels, cut of ends, and stable a sheet around it. Hope it helped a little bit