PDA

View Full Version : Some Dick Cheney jokes..

RICHARD
02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Well....

If there is a lesson to be learned here, it's this..

After years of enduring assassination attempts....Politicians are striking back. :p

Had Cheney NOT bagged any quail, but still shot a lawyer, would that have meant "no harm, no fowl"? :rolleyes:

Had the lawyer shot Cheney, would the Secret Service shot the lawyer? :confused:

After all the talk of Cheney not being able to serve his country he decided to prove everyone wrong, by taking pot shots at a lawyer! :eek:

Sounds like a bad joke, no?

The Vice President and a lawyer go quail hunting....after bagging a quail the lawyer goes to pick it up and is shot by the VeePee....

Scary thought?
Thank God the President wasn't with them..

I was misquoted??
I can see it now.....The lawyer falls in the mud and says, "aw SHOOT"
Cheney says, "O.K"!!!

RedHedd
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
My local radio station this morning was also having a field day with this as I'm sure the late-night pundits will too. The reporters came up with a couple of great new titles for our Veep:

Dead-Eye Dick

Sure-Shot Cheney

I'm sure there will be more.

Any truth to the rumor that he really was hunting for Quayle? :rolleyes: :p

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2006, 02:27 PM
So far the White House has blamed it on the shooting victim and on the shooting victim's dog. Next I suppose they will blame it on the quail.....

caseysmom
02-13-2006, 02:28 PM
I am not sure why they keep saying the guy snuck up behind him...was he shooting backwards?

RICHARD
02-13-2006, 02:50 PM
So far the White House has blamed it on the shooting victim and on the shooting victim's dog. Next I suppose they will blame it on the quail.....

TOO LATE!

I heard that the quail flew over towards where the lawyer was standing, Cheney was tracking the bird and cut loose at him. Sounds like a conspiracy to me!

Lady's Human
02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Love the jokes, this one screams President Ford and President Carter all over again. (The marx brothers of the Presidency).

Maybe he took shooting lessons from Burr?

In all seriousness, walking up next to or behind someone who is hunting and NOT announcing your presence isn't the brightest thing in the world. People tend to get "target lock", meaning they zone in on the target and miss anything going on around them. There's a range tower on FT Drum that has the scars to attest to that.

RICHARD
02-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Maybe he took shooting lessons from Burr?

There's a range tower on FT Drum that has the scars to attest to that.

Burr and Jackson killed what they were pointing at... :eek:

Lol, I'd be disappointed if there were NO scars on that tower....Those are my tax dollars at work.. ;)

lvpets2002
02-13-2006, 03:10 PM
:D Goodone Richard & I still just love what you come up with.. Hey you think if lawyer would have took the shot to Cheney then he would have been shot :confused: ..

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I heard that the quail flew over towards where the lawyer was standing, Cheney was tracking the bird and cut loose at him. Sounds like a conspiracy to me!

With one shot he hit the bird and the lawyer??? :eek: :eek:

Maybe if Cheney hadn't worked so hard to avoid military service during VietNam (I had better things to do) he would have learned something. Perhaps the NRA has a makeup class he can attend??? Gun Safety 101?

RICHARD
02-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Oh man....

You may not want to shoot your mouth off at Cheney.....He'll do it for you! :eek:

Headline?

"Cheney takes a shot at the lawyer problems in the country"

I really doubt that Cheney is THAT good a shot....
Who can miss with shotgun? :confused:

Are you sure they were quail shooting?

Yep, the Secret Service didn't hear anyone say "Duck!"

RICHARD
02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
With one shot he hit the bird and the lawyer??? :eek: :eek:

No, the bird was seen heading over to the Democratic Party Headquarters... :eek: ;)

I really don't know...

Vela
02-13-2006, 03:17 PM
LOL I love the jokes. Cheney sure made himself looks even more stupid=x

RICHARD
02-13-2006, 04:32 PM
I can't take credit for the "If the lawyer shot Cheney" joke..

One of the local newspeople said that his friend, a former Secret Service guy, told him that they have many scenarios scripted out, but the VP shooting someone isn't in any book....

So, There must be a few pages added to the "What to do" handbook!

------------------------------------

Of course, I TRUST NO ONE WITH A LOADED SHOTGUN AROUND ME....
I really should not laugh about that...I know what the panic during a hunting accident is like! :eek:

Karen
02-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Knowing more about the situation, I do not feel it worthy of jokes. "Canned hunts" are horrific, awful, reprehensible, appalling things. That's all I'll say on the matter.

lizbud
02-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Knowing more about the situation, I do not feel it worthy of jokes. "Canned hunts" are horrific, awful, reprehensible, appalling things. That's all I'll say on the matter.

I also read that it was a canned shoot. What else would you expect from
a guy who dodged service in the armed forces. :rolleyes:

I think it just proves how paranoid the man is. ;)

caseysmom
02-13-2006, 05:12 PM
What is a canned shoot?

Edwina's Secretary
02-13-2006, 05:22 PM
I did not know it was a canned hunt. I cannot say I am surprised. That is so disgusting...it reiterates everything I think of this man and this administration. Sport killing. Nice way to relax after sending the sons and daughters of America into REAL danger.

Karen
02-13-2006, 05:58 PM
What is a canned shoot?

I answered this in a PM, and would prefer that the description not be posted and part of the permanent, public Pet Talk.

I have been informed that this weekend's event was not part of a canned hunt, and that the article I saw referred to an older incident. It still makes me think less of our VP as a human being that he ever participated in such a thing.

'nuf said.

Lady's Human
02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
After looking at CNN, FOX, Breitbart, and Reuters (a fair cross section of news articles on the accident) none of them mentioned it being a canned hunt. They were traveling in a vehicle, which is not part of a "canned hunt". They were hunting.

I will agree with the mayor, canned hunts are reprehensible, but this wasn't one of them.

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-13-2006, 10:11 PM
It troubles me that someone in such a high-profile position would allow himself to be associated with blood sports????

Maybe it's different in the USA, but in South Africa he would lose so many votes / support!

Karen
02-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Because he's Vice President, people really didn't get a lot of choice (we vote for the Presidential candidate, and they get to keep their running mate), and Cheney has already stated he does not ever want to run for the Presidency.

Vela
02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
And thank heavens for that!!!

lizbud
02-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Maybe it's not so funny after all. :( What were these old geezers
doing walking around with loaded guns.

Hunter Shot by Cheney Has Heart Attack

By LYNN BREZOSKY and NEDRA PICKLER
Associated Press Writers
Published February 14, 2006, 4:38 PM CST

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas -- The 78-year-old lawyer wounded by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident suffered a mild heart attack Tuesday after a shotgun pellet in his chest traveled to his heart, hospital officials said.

Harry Whittington was immediately moved back to an intensive care unit and will be watched for a week to make sure more pellets do not move to other vital organs. He was reported in stable condition.

Whittington suffered a "silent heart attack" -- an irregular heartbeat, but without the classic heart-attack symptoms of pain and pressure, according to doctors at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial.

The doctors said they decided to treat the situation conservatively and leave the pellet alone rather than operate to remove it. They said they are extremely optimistic Whittington will recover and live a healthy life with the pellet left in place.

Asked whether the pellet could move farther into his heart and become fatal, hospital officials said that was a hypothetical question they could not answer.

Hospital officials said they were not concerned about the six to 200 other pieces of birdshot that might still be lodged in Whittington's body. Cheney was using 7 1/2 shot from a 28-gauge shotgun. Shotgun pellets are typically made of steel or lead; the pellets in 7 1/2 shot are just under a tenth of an inch in diameter.

Cheney watched the news conference where doctors described Whittington's complications. Then the vice president called him, wished him well and asked if there was anything that he needed.

"The vice president said that he stood ready to assist. Mr. Whittington's spirits were good, but obviously his situation deserves the careful monitoring that his doctors are providing," the vice president's office said in a statement.

Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not spoken publicly about the accident, which took place Saturday night while the vice president was aiming for a quail. Critics of the Bush administration called for more answers from the Cheney himself.

The furor over the accident and the White House delay in making it public are "part of the secretive nature of this administration," said Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. "I think it's time the American people heard from the vice president."

Hospital officials said they knew that Whittington had some birdshot near his heart and that there was a chance it could move closer since scar tissue had not had time to harden and hold the pellet in place.

After Whittington developed an irregular heartbeat, doctors performed a cardiac catheterization, in which a thin, flexible tube is inserted into the heart, to diagnose his condition, said Peter Banko, the administrator at the hospital.

The shot was either touching or embedded in the heart muscle near the top chambers, called the atria, officials said. Two things resulted:

* It caused inflammation that pushed on the heart in a way to temporarily block blood flow, what the doctors called a "silent heart attack." This is not a traditional heart attack where an artery is blocked. They said Whittington's arteries, in fact, were healthy.

* It irritated the atria, caused an irregular heartbeat known as atrial fibrillation, which is not immediately life-threatening. But it must be treated because it can spur blood clots to form. Most cases can be corrected with medication.

White House physicians helped advise on the course of treatment, hospital officials said.

Texas officials said the shooting was an accident and no charges were brought against the vice president.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report issued Monday said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

RICHARD
02-14-2006, 06:13 PM
The furor over the accident and the White House delay in making it public are "part of the secretive nature of this administration," said Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada. "I think it's time the American people heard from the vice president."

I laughed when I heard the press conference snippets....

Media people are stupid.

First of all,

In any accident that involves gunplay, an police investigation HAS to be done. When a person is taken to a hospital, that is where the whole thing starts.....

Also, there are the HIPPA confidentiality laws....No info can be given out about a patient without their permission......

Again, the media wants to be spoon fed details about any story.

The days of Jimmy Olson, cub reporter, are over...

THis is another reason not believe anything in the media---ANYTHING. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
02-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Except that......

When the law enforcement guys went to interview the VP (aka Dead-Eye Dick) immediately following the "incident" -- as would occur if you or I shot a 78 year old guy in the face.....they were denied access to the shooter. Until the next morning. "Opps!" says the secret service! Our bad.

There is no law...or even practice...that the police must investigate before the media can report on an incident. The whole thing doesn't start when the person is taken to the hospital...the whole thing starts when the person is shot!

Sorry my friend....I believe the media far more than this they have weapons of mass distruction and we know where they are administration...(although I will refrain from calling them names.... like stupid...incompetent....dishonest...sneaky....lyin g....dishonorable)

lizbud
02-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Cheney's Bad Aim
Shoot first; don't answer questions later.
By John Dickerson
Posted Monday, Feb. 13, 2006, at 7:18 PM ET

In a distant corner of a faraway land known as "Texas," a shotgun blast rang out and a man fell to the ground, wounded. Natives called the shooter by an obscure title: "Vice President of the United States of America." Surrounding him was a clan of primitive warriors, their buckskin belts weighed down by tribal trinkets they dubbed "cell phones," "walkie-talkies," "BlackBerrys," and "two-way pagers." On the roadside sat their humble transport, massive vehicles capable of little beyond serving as the command center for the most powerful nation in the world. So, no wonder that news of the shooting took a day to make it 60 long miles away to Corpus Christi, and from there, to the outside world.

Vice President Cheney shot a man in the head on Saturday, and 21 hours later you had to be looking at the Web page of the Corpus Christi Caller-Times to find out about it. (The victim has now suffered a heart attack as a result of being shot.) As White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan picked buckshot out of his own hide, he said "the vice president's office was working to make sure information got out. We learned additional information overnight—throughout the night. We were learning additional information here in Washington."

If the vice president's office was "working," it was working awfully slowly. They didn't even let McClellan know until 6 a.m. Sunday morning, 12 hours after the hunter had been "peppered." McClellan, by focusing on the distinction between what was going on "here in Washington" and what might have been going on down on the ranch, tried an unusual strategy for such a unified administration: to separate the president from the vice president. McClellan implied that it was Cheney's show and it was his advisers who held up the information. Furthermore, McClellan reminded the press corps, he did things differently. He recounted what had happened last July when President Bush collided with a police officer during the G8 in Scotland. Reporters were notified quickly and given a rundown on Bush, his bike, the condition of the officer and the phone call Bush placed to make sure the officer was okay.

Perhaps the even more apt analogy was Bush's own hunting incident in 1994. When the gubernatorial candidate accidentally killed a protected killdeer during a dove shoot, he wrote that he reacted this way: "Karen [Hughes] and I looked at each other. What now? 'We confess,' we both said, almost simultaneously. Bush then called every reporter who had been on his hunting trip. He then announced it at a press conference. The lesson of the shooting, Bush wrote in his biography, is that "people watch the way you handle things; they get a feeling they like and trust you, or they don't."

Unfortunately for the president, Bush wasn't able to give his vice president this advice. (He learned about the shooting from Karl Rove, who talked to the ranch owner.) Cheney played his own press secretary after this incident, agreeing with the owner of the ranch that there would be no official notice and that she could release the information herself. Cheney's allies (and those are different than Bush allies in this case) argue that Cheney cared more about his hurt friend and his host than he did about informing the Beltway press. Maybe for the first hour or two, but to wait so long only points out what we always have known about the vice president: He doesn't give a damn about the public or press' right to know.

A Bush adviser once described the Cheney press strategy this way: "Never explain, never apologize." This has damaged Cheney's public standing and hurt the president, but it is a legitimate philosophical position, linked to his stingy views about sharing information with Congress. But in this case, treating the press like Patrick Leahy is bad staff work. As a veteran staffer of two administrations and a cabinet secretary in another, Dick Cheney should know that he is not supposed to embarrass his boss.

Cheney's silence has forced White House aides to answer for the 21-hour delay without being able to give the real story (there is still no official account of what happened). The Cheney delay has also exacerbated questions about the Bush administration's candor and truthfulness. Those topics were already in the news enough. Last week, the former CIA official who coordinated U.S. intelligence on the Middle East until last year charged White House officials with "cherry-picking" intelligence on Iraq to justify a decision it had already reached to go to war. This week, Republicans in Congress will issue a report that says the Bush administration delayed the evacuation of thousands of New Orleans residents by failing to act quickly on early reports that the levees had broken during Hurricane Katrina, a charge that contradicts the president's assertion about when they knew the levees would fail. Suddenly, a lot of columnists sound like Maureen Dowd, bemoaning the gang that can't get the truth straight.

And at some point Cheney's starchy behavior is also insulting. Shouldn't there be some minimum level of explanation he's willing to offer as the second-highest ranking public official? When you nearly commit manslaughter as a public official shouldn't the honor of your office compel you to stand up and explain yourself in some fashion, at least say something in a press release and not just whisper it to a Texas rancher?

If that sense of duty doesn't compel him, Cheney should see the political necessity of saying something fast. He doesn't want the GOP to become the it's-OK-to-shoot-people-while-hunting party. A few early words from Cheney could have quelled controversy (and, incidentally, saved us from the horrible spin his supporters are starting to offer: It's just a flesh wound. Elite city opinion writers don't know boo about quail hunting; I've been peppered my whole life, never hurt me.)

Aaron Burr was the last sitting vice president to shoot a man. He killed Alexander Hamilton in 1804. Since then, vice presidents have become known for attending funerals, not necessitating them. If Cheney had handled this right, it would have been a one-day story. Now, the vice president may find it won't become history fast enough.

RICHARD
02-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Except that......

There is no law...or even practice...that the police must investigate before the media can report on an incident. The whole thing doesn't start when the person is taken to the hospital...the whole thing starts when the person is shot!

Oops!

Any idiot with a police scanner or 'insider' (imagine that.....not having the home state of the pres wired.....) would have knows something was going on.

Hold on a second!

I said accident....

When someone gets shot you do not stop and wait for the cops. Because the VP has heart problems he is always followed by a med team.

Beacause a shotgun blast to the torso tends to bleed a little, he was taken STAT..I always wanted to use that word!!! :rolleyes: to the ER

When the patient arrives at the ER/Trauma unit the attending physician, by law, has to call the cops.

Because I was standing next to a friend that was shot, in a hunting accident and work in a hospital - think that I remember some of those rules...
The person that shot my BIL was there in the ER and admitted to it.

The LASD came out took notes and cleared the whole thing up, no charges, no other kind of BS.

Unless the cops think that it was something else they will not bother to go out to the site where it happened...example?

Two gangbangers show up at an ER at two in the morning, one has his intestines spilling out of his gut. Chances are that it's a crime scene where he was shot. The police are usually concerned if someone gets shot and the person doesn't come forward.

--------------------------------

And you have to remember that the SECRET SERVICE is a Law Enforcement Group... :eek:

I only mentioned that the hospital cannot give out info.....not the PD......they are not bound by any info laws.....It's only the hospital...

Sooooooo, It the media is lazy, to lazy to check the police blotter for the weekend, it's their own fault.

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 05:08 PM
A quote from today "....Cheney responded. "The accuracy was enormously important. I had no press person with me."

So the reason Cheney could not speak to the public about how and why he mistook a 78 year old man for a quail was because he didn't have any spin doctors with him to tell him how to tell the truth?????

And it is fault of the media....or the dog....or the victim...or the bird...

Where is Alice in Wonderland when you need her??????

Lady's Human
02-15-2006, 05:20 PM
ES, if the person who was shot approached the hunting party without announcing his presence, he wasn't following normal guidelines. Just like the person who backs out without looking and gets hit is at fault, but there's no hunting insurance to make people follow the "rules of the woods" as it were.

The media was contacted less than 24 hours after the incident, but the national media didn't pick the story up off of the wire until late in the afternoon. It was a private hunting trip, and unlike the President, the VP doesn't have a press pool that follows him around.

Twisterdog
02-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Soooooo sad for the state of Wyoming that the highest ranking, most famous person to ever come from our sparsely populated state is a total jerk and idiot. *sigh*

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Gosh LH...you, Dick Cheney, the NRA and the gun safety groups disagree. ALL have said it is the fault of the guy who shots the gun. The 78 year old man was behind Cheney.

And in fact there are "rules of the road" for hunting. Check here... Rules (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/S-FathersAdvice.html)

Cheney felt his hostess for the killing of harmless animals should make the press announcement. Guess he was too chicken...or quail as the case may be.

I think 24 hours is a long time not to mention the vice president of the United States shot someone. And I think four days is a long time to duck the press.

But most of all....I cannot tell you how appalling it is that anyone would consider the 78 year old victim at fault. As a woman that hits just a little too close to home.

lizbud
02-15-2006, 05:43 PM
ES, if the person who was shot approached the hunting party without announcing his presence, he wasn't following normal guidelines. Just like the person who backs out without looking and gets hit is at fault, but there's no hunting insurance to make people follow the "rules of the woods" as it were.

This is not true according to Indiana Hunters I've heard from. It is the
responsibilty of the shooter to know where his fellow hunters are before
shooting. The usual custom is to wait for those retrieving birds to join
back up with the party before resuming the shoot.

I did get to read the pdf file published of the actual shooting report. It did
have marked that both shooters had on orange jackets & hats. Cheney
just got very careless.

RICHARD
02-15-2006, 05:46 PM
A spooked bird doesn't fly straight up into the air.

It probably will fly a nap-of-the-earth take-off pattern..watch any bird that you happen to walk up to .......I can see where someone could get shot by breaking the simple rules ..

you don't bother with anything outside of the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.....

Also, some of the questions and reports from the media were pretty stupid.

Some people were reporting buckshot.......some were reporting the style of hunt...

If anything the delay allowed the media to get some of the facts.

I think the media was more of a threat to that dude! Heaven forbid they kill the poor old guy......Just like the way that they brought those poor miners "back-to-life" .... :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

And I think four days is a long time to duck the press.

Hey, that was punny!!
;)

Lady's Human
02-15-2006, 05:50 PM
ES, living in an area where hunting is commonplace and it's normal coffee shop discussion, and having spent plenty of hours in the woods while in Tx, the general attitude is that the person who came up to the group without announcing his presence is in the wrong. The VP is in the wrong for letting himself get "target locked" and not paying attention to the area around his target. In other words, there's plenty of blame to share, but the person who was shot bears responsibility in this as well. Sorry, ES, but this is not an impeachable offense.

RICHARD
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
My father's advice?

Don't be stupid when you hold a gun..
Should you be, you better run.
Don't hesitate, just hit the gas.
Cos when I catch you, I'll kick your ......

I feared my dad more, than I did the actual gun.

------------------

My dad was well into his 70's and routinely out-shot kids 40 years younger than him.

At the competitions men would regularly complain that it wasn't fair to shoot against him...."He won everything..."

So, I would go hunting with Cheney any day of the week.....The Dickster reminds me of my old man..

Quiet, devious and able to hit what he pointed a gun at. :rolleyes:

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 06:30 PM
So, I would go hunting with Cheney any day of the week.....The Dickster reminds me of my old man..

Quiet, devious and able to hit what he pointed a gun at. :rolleyes:

So he was aiming at the 78 year old victim?????? :eek: :eek:

He claimed in his news conference today that he doesn't know if the bird was hit or not. ;) :rolleyes:

LH....how is it that every gun group INCLUDING THE NRA says it absolutely was not the 78 year old victim's fault....but you know better.

But I've heard you line of reasoning before....she shouldn't have been on that dark street..... :rolleyes:

Where and when did I suggest an impeachable offense btw?????......stupid, cruel, careless, arrogant, dishonest, sneaky, less than honorable...but not impeachable. (Now if he had had sex with the quail....)

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Lady's Human
02-15-2006, 06:34 PM
ES, I wasn't putting words in your mouth, just proceeding to the logical conclusion to your constant barrage of negative comments about the current administration.

The NRA has actually been remarkably silent on the matter, and the NRA does NOT speak for all hunters. I've been hunting in groups, and the #1 rule is you do NOT allow yourself to be separated from the group, and if you do leave the group, you let everyone know where you are going, and let everyone know when you are coming back, normally with a hand signal.

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Odd....I thought that when quail hunting, the accepted practice is for the entire line to halt when one party falls back and wait until that party catches up with the line. Not go off shooting when you do not know the position of another member of the line. This is not warfare. It is the killing of farm raised birds. They don't shoot back. Self-defense is not required...from the birds anyway. If you don't know where a member of your party is...you don't shoot.

At least that is how hunting is done correctly where I come from.

Is there anything this administration could do that you would find unseemly? War...okay....torture...okay...lying....okay...inv ading countries....okay....shooting friends...okay :rolleyes:

I grew up in the country. I know careless hunters. We had to protect our animals from them.

And perhaps, if this administration did not make it so easy I would not take so many shots.....

Lady's Human
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
The war was justified, I have yet to see nonpartisan proof of any lies regarding WMD (Too much info for too long from too many different sources that they had them), the incidents at Abu Ghirab were caused by a POS chain of command. What have they screwed up? Prescription drug coverage (an in effective feel good that accomplished nothing except breaking the budget but both parties made hay with it), bloated spending (Please, Mr. President, is there a budget that you'll VETO?), and above all, ineffective communication.

RICHARD
02-15-2006, 07:02 PM
So he was aiming at the 78 year old victim?????? :eek: :eek:

That was a joke...

One of the local talk show hosts was getting emails stating that this chap was going to get worse while in the hospital...........Here come the conspiracy theories-CHeney wanted him dead..

Wouldn't it be easier to do the Clintonesque kinda assassination attempt? :rolleyes: suicide or plane crash?

An accident is an accident.

Do I think that the press was stonewalled?

Who cares? As long as I didn't pull the trigger and no one was killed, so what?

I pray for the poor guy and think Cheney may want to take up bocce or skittles.....I was going to suggest darts but then again.... :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 07:02 PM
I have yet to see any non-partisan proof of the justification for the war. I have yet to see any non-partisan proof of truth having been told about WMD, any non-partisan justification for the outing of covert agents. I have yet to see any non-partisan justification for electronic spying (like George Washington did.... ;) ) on American citizens without warrants. I have yet to see this administration do anything non-partisan.

Mr. Cheney's personal conduct in this situation has not been honorable. I thought in the last administration it was establish that personal conduct of politicians is fair game. Or is that partisan as well? :)

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 07:07 PM
That was a joke...

An accident is an accident.

Do I think that the press was stonewalled?

Who cares? As long as I didn't pull the trigger and no one was killed, so what?

I pray for the poor guy and think Cheney may want to take up bocce or skittles.....I was going to suggest darts but then again.... :eek:

My response was a joke too....

Sorry my blood is boiling over this blame the victim attitude.

Who cares? Geez...I assume the same people who cared about who Bill Clinton had sex with.... :D :p :D

But an accident is NOT an accident. Too many years of worker comp experience for me to let you slide by with that one. MAYBE...getting struck by lightening is an accident. Carelessness, inattention, overconfidence....lots of reason...but accidents don't JUST HAPPEN....

Lady's Human
02-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Non partisan proof of WMD in Iraq:

Jane's Defense weekly (Sort of a privately owned intel agency), various articles from the mid 80's to present.

European Intelligence services, in a constant chorus throughout the '90s

Valerie Plame outed herself to her neighbors. (if you're a covert op, your neighbors don't know you work for the CIA)

Electronic spying without a warrant? Yeah, I'm REALLY upset with JFK, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton (Echelon ring a bell?), and the current admin for that, but I've yet to see a non partisan legal opinion on whether listening in on calls originating outside the US is covered. Besides, if the administration thought what they were doing was illegal, all they had to do was ask another country to share the intel with us (after pointing them in the right direction, after all ELINT and decryption has been a British game for years)

I thought President Clinton's conduct in his personal life was abysmal, but it didn't rise to the level of impeachment. Perjury barely did, given the case involved, but there were things he did that had nothing to do with his personal life that DID rise to the level of impeachment. (Look up China's launch success rate prior to 1992 and after the LORAL tech sale was approved, and find an estimate of their missile CEP (circular error probability) prior to and in the years after that "civilian" tech transfer) Prior to the transfer the high end of their CEP was 3KM, now the high end is 500m. In other words, they used to be able to hit California, now they can hit the Chinese Theater. Prior to the tech transfer, they couldn't get a missile off the ground more than 50% of the time. Now their systems are fairly reliable.

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Kinda impeachment obsessed aren't you?

Can you really...with a straight face....call Jane Defense Weekly non-partisan???? Or are you counting on me being too stupid to know what it is????

And I get my news from the very non-partisan The Daily Show..... :D :D :D

Lady's Human
02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
JDW is very non partisan, they call a spade a spade. It is extremely well thought of by the MI world, and hated as well. Janes annual reviews are in the libraries of every Joint Staff that can acquire them. They essentially "outed" the F-117 program,(resulting in a USAF Major having a revoked clearance and wings removed) and have acted as a commercial intel agency for decades, living off the sales of their intel.

I like Jon Stewart, he's an on air version of Berk Breathed.

Edwina's Secretary
02-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Let's agree that you and I have a very different definition of "non-partisan."

But to get back on topic...so...if I...or you....or your child....or my dog....walk up behind a hunter...while wearing a bright orange vest...and the hunter shots us....it is OUR fault. Because we don't say..."hey, please don't shot your gun until you know I am back in the line! or at least know where I am!"

Got it...note to self...stay out of the woods....

lizbud
02-16-2006, 08:50 AM
If you or I had been the shooter, what would have happened?

Lets see, no valid hunting license, smell of alcohol on breath(he had a beer
for lunch) and person injured required hospitalization. Three guesses.

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Liz, as far as the hunting license goes, he had a valid license, he didn't have the proper stamp, which is normally a wrist slap if its a first offense. (it all depends on local law, but normally it's go buy the stamp, come back and let me see it)

These incidents happen all too frequently, and normally the local police investigate, take statements, and put it in the darwin awards file.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Liz....since the sheriff was not allowed to interview the shooter until the next day (that's how it would work for you and me, right?) they would not have known about the alcohol on his breath (one beer at lunch) had our honest and open vp not told them.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Don't mean to interrupt this spirited debate, but the only question I have is....who is paying the hospital bills? Is it the "victim's" own health insurance, or, since Cheney is responsible, is the government, i.e. ME, picking up the tab?

caseysmom
02-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I am wondering who is paying for this entourage of doctors that have to follow this guy around all the time?

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 12:37 PM
The veep shot him, he's more than likely in the hospital on our nickel.

The entourage of docs who follow around the veep and the CinC are part of the normal detail, but in VP Cheney's case it's beefed up somewhat due to his history of heart problems. They are probably out of Bethesda Naval Hospital, which means in some form or another they're military.

RICHARD
02-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Don't mean to interrupt this spirited debate, but the only question I have is....who is paying the hospital bills? Is it the "victim's" own health insurance, or, since Cheney is responsible, is the government, i.e. ME, picking up the tab?

WE ALL DO!

It really doesn't matter, just like everything else, car insurance, home owners insurance, life insurance-we all pay.

CM,
We all do.

It's part of the plan put together since JFK and RR were shot.

-----------------------------------------

What is the problem with Electric eavesdropping?

I really laugh when I hear people ask "DO YOU WANT THE GOVERNMENT LISTENING/LOOKING AT WHAT YOU DO?"

Did you realize that you company looks and monitors your email?
At work there are CCTV cameras all over the place?
when you shop all your data is attached to your card,debit card and you are photographed while you shop?
Use an ATM and smile! Run a red light and smile!

While there are 300 million people in the USA there are about 100 million that use the phone, computer,text message and email back and forth...

So estimate if you use each of those methods once a day for one message, that is 400 million. more, if you are a TECHHEAD.

So if the US gov't. has the ability to sort thru all those messages every day.....we are in trouble....

DID I MENTION, that a good percent of all that electrinic mash is in a foreign language??

As it is we were never able to get enough translators to go to Iraq/Afghanistan-so what makes you think that the omnipotent powers can decode and figure out all the stupid jokes, photos and trash that we send to each other, every day?

Me?

I'd rather have Uncle Sam looking over my shoulder and seeing that all I get are "girls gone wild" DVD offers, Cialis, Viagra and the Cat of the Day calendar emails..

----------------------------------------

Riddle me this.

A terrorist cell operates in a major US city....They begin electronically setting up a plan to dirty bomb a large college. Let's say the University College in Downtown Lost Angeles. (It don't exist so don't bother looking) Uni College is surrounded by 100,000 people.

While the government and state official present a judge a request for a wiretap and access to their emails, they cook off a bomb that kills 10,000 people with in the first week-Did i mention that the wind is blowing west to the ocean and some 50 thousand people will inhale what ever crap they put together with the bomb? Uranium maybe???

3,000 from the initial blast and another 7,000 from the 24 hour effects from the dirt from the fallout.

Long term effects?

The area where the bomb went off is off limits for about 40 years and the cancer rates in the areas go up astronomically...

DID I MENTION WHAT HAPPENS TO THE WATER, that the firefighters use to put out the fires, until they realize that it full of radioactive waste GOES INTO THE SEWER and pollutes everything down to the ocean?

If you are not scared yet-of think that I am talking out of my hat- I pray that none of the world ever has to go through something like that because we are a bunch of spineless paranoid wimps.

"Where is the government?"
"WHY DIDN'T THEY STOP THE ATTACK?"

Of course, the story about the cops trying to get a wiretap order will come out and then we can whine about the government not moving fast enough.

I pray that I am wrong-but it more than likely will happen.

So get ready and remember- I told you so. :(

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry RICHARD....I am more frightened by a government run amok than I am the possibility of a terrorist attack.

To live in a country governed by a bunch who think the constitution is just an inconvenience (except when you want to use it to justifiy owning a killing machine...) is it worth living? I really laugh when I hear people think the government will responsibly use the power to spy on American citizens. Can anyone say "McCarthy?"

The government has never been denied a warrant ...and the law allows them to eavesdrop and get the warrant later. I really laugh when I hear people describe a situation where the requirement to get a warrant causes mass distruction of a city.

I really laugh when I hear people say they don't care about the government spying on them in their homes. How many times does history have to repeat????

Consider yourself riddled.... :D :D :D (I hope that doesn't mean something dirty! :eek: )

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 04:56 PM
A government that considers the Constitution an inconvenience? I'm sure the Branch Davidians were given all rights of due process before the assault on their compound.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 05:22 PM
LH...is your comment suppose to have something to do with the discussion?

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot, the previous administration followed the constitution to the letter................depending on what your definition of "is" is.

lizbud
02-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot, the previous administration followed the constitution to the letter................depending on what your definition of "is" is.

LH, you are still off topic. What is it..have you run out of excuses for
Cheney? :D

lizbud
02-16-2006, 05:45 PM

Since they are both multimillionaires, I doubt we have anything to
worry about. :D

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Liz, while it is off topic in a way, it is a response to ES's questioning the present administration's respect for the Constitution. She brought up her fear of Government run amok, I provided an example of government run amok, people she would like to see back in power. Waco. I could also include Echelon.

RICHARD
02-16-2006, 06:26 PM
I guess coming out and saying that you were the one that pulled the trigger cannot be compared to making a statement concerning something about sex and "that woman".

Let's keep this about the vice presidents.....

What was it that My pal Al Gore said about the US in Saudi Arabia a few days ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060213/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saudi_gore

This bobo was going to be my president?

And why are Billary and Ted going to Senate meetings about armed forces supplies?

Edward voted against a war so he is covered....But Bill and Hill routinely cut the knees from under all the branches of the United States military. And now they care about the PASGT stuff that they are sending to IRAQ?

(During the meeting one officer made a comment about 'shooting themselves in the gut', Ted, being the great politician he is, said that considering the news, it wasn't an appropriate comment.....Billary tossed her head back and laughed out loud....)

-------------------------------

ONE MORE TIME.

I DO NOT CARE IF THE GWB AND THE OTHERS look at my email (Please do not draw the connection that using a DSL line or dial up modem is tantamout to 'looking into my home')

My computer holds the same bland mass mailings you all get, the racy emails my friends send me and some other stuff that my mom would blanch at, knowing her eldest son has seen it.

In case you are wondering, the NSA monitors quite a bit of email and voice commo all across the continent.

They have programs and traps set up to filter out the fact that people are on pet sites, have the Paris Hilton home movies on their harddrive....they don't care if you emailed your old man or old lady some dirty pics you took as a Valentine's day gift.

You have to really trip the alarm, which will in turn, perk up some ears in order for the government to make you a target.

Paranoia may not be that bad a condition to deal with....waiting for the government to break down your door distracts you from dying in a terrorist
attack.

Hmmm,
Having a few techs laughing at my harddrive is a far better trade off than watching people jump out of a 110 story building- they only put off being crushed..

I seem to remember seeing people post about the crappy job the US did in getting info about 9/11....well, we can't spy....

So, since we can't spy, let's just put an ad in the paper....I am sure people will let us know when the hammer is ready to come down.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Liz, while it is off topic in a way, it is a response to ES's questioning the present administration's respect for the Constitution. She brought up her fear of Government run amok, I provided an example of government run amok, people she would like to see back in power. Waco. I could also include Echelon.

LH...I find it VERY offensive when you put words in my mouth. I have asked you once not to do so. People she would like to see back in power. You have no more idea who I would like to see in power than the man in the moon.

Speak you opinion but do NOT assume you know mine. I prefer not to stoop to your level.

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 06:50 PM
ES, you've made your views fairly well known over the years.

RICHARD
02-16-2006, 07:02 PM
You have no more idea who I would like to see in power than the man in the moon.

Is Neil Armstrong running for president? :confused:

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 07:05 PM
You show me... just once...where I have said who I would like to see "back in power."

One thing I have always tried to do is avoid any name-calling -- overt or implied -- of anyone on this board. I have not suggested I know what you think except where I am repeating what you have stated. On more than one occasion you have not shown me the same courtesy.

I believe when you lie down with dogs you get up with fleas (no offense meant to dogs....) so I will not, as I said, stoop to your level.

Let's try and stay on course.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Is Neil Armstrong running for president? :confused:

Couldn't be any worse.... :D :D :rolleyes: :D

Lady's Human
02-16-2006, 07:23 PM
ES, you have made many comments about the President "Stealing" the election. Being that the election in question was in 2000, and there is only one reason to continue a line like that for that long, you make it fairly clear where your political leanings are.

Edwina's Secretary
02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
You still make no sense LH.....your last fews comments are off-point and incomprehensible.

Perhaps you should go back to explaining to us why it was Mr. Whittington's fault he was shot by the Vice-president while 30 yards behind...walking up in his orange jacket to rejoin the hunting group.

Karen
02-16-2006, 08:21 PM
While this is The Dog House, it is still part of Pet Talk.

Everyone should play nice. We know by now that Lady's Human and Edwina's Secretary disagree in their political leanings. This thread has gone a bit too far, and gotten to the point where many people will just feel completely lost.

Everyone here is a caring, loving person, who sincerely wants the best for all of God's creatures, whether they have fur, feathers, scales, and yes - even plain old (or new) skin.

Please play nicely, everyone.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Any truth to the rumor that he really was hunting for Quayle?

Genius!

RICHARD
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Let's try and stay on course.

Hey, NO FAIR rewriting presidential punchlines. :p

lizbud
02-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Just can't help myself, soooo funny. :D

He loves the smell of gunpowder
By John Kenney, JOHN KENNEY has just finished his first novel.

VICE PRESIDENT Dick Cheney accidentally shot documentary filmmaker Michael Moore yesterday as Moore was walking out of a Manhattan Denny's.

A spokesperson for the vice president said that it was a "complete accident" and that Cheney felt "horrible." The White House released a statement saying that the shooting was "just bad timing. Vice President Cheney, who is well-versed in firearms safety, was merely sitting in a shrub, wearing camouflage, outside of a Denny's frequented by Mr. Moore." The statement went on to say that Cheney had been in the shrub for "several days." Moore is said to have suffered only minor injuries and was released from the hospital.

IN ANOTHER BIZARRE accident, Cheney mistakenly shot every Democratic member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. A White House spokesman said that the vice president feels "bad, but not that bad." An aide to Cheney said that the vice president "happened to be in the committee chambers, under a chair, when he stood up to put on a pair of chaps, accidentally shooting the committee members, stopping to reload three times." Remarkably, the committee members were largely unhurt and are expected to make complete recoveries.

THE WHITE HOUSE was put on the defensive again today when Air Force Two was forced to make an emergency landing 25 miles west of New York City after a loss of cabin pressure because of the accidental shooting of former FEMA Director Michael D. Brown and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. Both men have recently come under criticism for their handling of the federal response to Hurricane Katrina. Cheney was said to be "laughing, but also deeply concerned" when he was awoken from a nap after accidentally shooting the men at close range. Typically, shotguns are not allowed on either Air Force One or Two, but Cheney is, the statement said, "a seasoned hunter and also planned to accidentally shoot both men." Both Brown and Chertoff are expected to make complete recoveries, although it remains unclear as to why Brown was duct-taped to the wing of the plane.

A White House spokesman later added that the vice president had been on his way to New York City to accidentally shoot New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd.

SEN. HILLARY Rodham Clinton miraculously escaped injury today after Cheney accidentally ran up to her motorcade and accidentally shot at her car. The White House said the vice president "tripped."

"These things happen," a White House spokesman said. "Guns, while completely safe, are also dangerous."

A member of the vice president's staff said Cheney apologized to the former first lady and potential presidential candidate in a handwritten note.

"I'm sorry I almost shot you. But know that I will try again and will also be sorry then too. I like the sound a gun makes and the smell of the gunpowder. 'Flint' is a neat word. "

Lady's Human
02-17-2006, 06:53 PM
And yet somehow in all that he managed to miss Al Franken, John McCain, and James Carville! :D

Pam
02-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Well I have read none of this thread and don't intend to but I got something in an e-mail tonight that expresses my thoughts on this exactly......
I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than ride with Ted Kennedy

At least Mr.Whittington is still alive. :rolleyes:

My co-worker, a dyed-in-the-wool democrat, said today *enough already." I couldn't agree more. :rolleyes:

lizbud
02-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Well I have read none of this thread and don't intend to but I got something in an e-mail tonight that expresses my thoughts on this exactly......

I agree that the Cheney jokes are beginning to get old.Guess what, if the
next Pres. & VP are Democrats, you will have years to get even. :D :D

slick
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p7d218d4a8e4e125bc2bc3f447f99ea4b/f0206966.jpg