PDA

View Full Version : Sunny is sneezing.

krazyaboutkatz
04-16-2002, 12:35 AM
I took Sunny to the vet last wed. for his annual shots. Everything was fine. He began to sneeze on Sat. and has continued to every day. He's eating, drinking, playing, and appears to be normal except for the sneezing. Should I be worried? I called the vet this morning and they said that this isn't a normal reaction to the vaccines. I'm trying to watch him closely. The last time something like this happened all of my cats got sick. I had taken them to the vet for some routine care and Storm started sneezing a few days later. By the end of the week all of my cats were sneezing. They had picked up some kind of virus. They are all indoor cats and only go to the vet when they are sick or for their annual shots and exams. Do indoor cats have a lower immune system than outdoor cats? What should I do?:confused:

yorkster
04-16-2002, 01:01 AM
Wow, this just happened to me (and tatssxxx, aka Sandra).
Took my kitty, Wylie in for vacines and such, and a few days later he was sneezing. :eek:
I kind of ignored it for a couple days, but it did not go away.
Took him to the vet, and it turned out to be a Upper Respitory Infection. They can be serious if you don't get them on antibiotics soon enough.
:(
He is an inside only cat also, and the vet said it's not uncommon for a cat to pick one up at the vets, even if they are there only briefly.

K & L
04-16-2002, 07:40 AM
Believe it or not all our cats just went through this. Makes you wonder if they get illnesses that go around like us humans! All ours are OK now. Even all the park cats went through this. Allergies maybe??

krazyaboutkatz
04-16-2002, 11:00 AM
I'm taking him to the vet this morning. I'll keep you posted. I sure hope that my other two cats stay healthy.

04-16-2002, 12:05 PM
I would go back to the vet if I were you !!
I'm sure that your cat catched it at the vets office !!! It's logic , I think , as people usually only go there with sick animals ... !
keep us posted !!!

tatsxxx11
04-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Yes, sounds like an URI to me! That's how it started here at my house; Mr. B was sneezing non stop! A course of antibiotics, to prevent a secondary bacterial infection was prescribed and after a week, almost all his symptoms were gone. Of course, as soon as B got better, Oliver started sneezing!!:rolleyes: It was like Kitty Kindergarten; one gets it, they all get it! I would take Sunny to the vet for a check and perhaps some medic. is advised!
They can be serious, but are easily treated. Oh, my kids are indoor only too! Get well hugs to Sunny from Mr. B, Oliver and Sandra:)

tatsxxx11
04-16-2002, 06:19 PM
How is Sunny doing??:confused:

krazyaboutkatz
04-17-2002, 12:33 AM
I took Sunny to the vet today. He's running a fever and sneezing. He also had some eye goo in his left eye. The vet put him on clavamox drops 11/2 ml. twice a day for about eight days. He's also on terramycin for his eyes which he gets three times a day until they are better. All three of my cats are on interferron 1 ml. one time a day for seven days and vetri-dmg liquid 1/2 ml. one time a day to help boost their immune system. The vet said that he hadn't seen a cat that had upper respiratory symptoms in quite a while so he doesn't know where Sunny could have picked this up. He said that some cats get so upset when you take them to the vet that their immune systems can become lower. Also indoor cats aren't exposed to a lot of things like outdoor cats are so their immune systems can be weaker. Sunny is eating and drinking which is good. He seems to be a little run down. My other two cats are fine. I hope that this medicine prevents them from getting sick. Storm was so concerned about Sunny that he sat by the door from the time that I went to the vet until I came home. He was crying and seemed upset until he saw that Sunny was back and okay. Isn't that cute. He's also done this when I have taken Pepper to the vet. I guess he's a concerned older brother. If anything changes I'll let you know. Hopefully by next week things will be back to normal.

AmberLee
04-17-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
... I guess he a concerned older brother. ...

How sweet! :)

Gio
04-17-2002, 03:10 AM
Lots of get well wishes to Sunny. So sweet ot Storm to be concerned about his brother :)

yorkster
04-17-2002, 06:42 PM
good news that your kitty(s) will be okay! wow, that's alot of medicine you're having to dispense- how is that going? :eek:
One of my cats is really good about it, and the other puts up quite a fight (I have the arms to prove it) :rolleyes:

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

tatsxxx11
04-17-2002, 08:28 PM
We're all hoping you're feeling a little bit better every day, Sunny. It took Mr. B about a week before he was close to his frisky self. Storm, aren't you the sweetest big brother!:) {{{Get Well Hugs}}} to Sunny and Storm!!

krazyaboutkatz
04-17-2002, 10:57 PM
Sunny is doing much better. :) He was still sneezing this morning but I haven't heard him sneeze tonight. He also seems to have more energy today. So far Storm and Pepper are fine. I hope things continue to improve. Once I catch Sunny, he's good about taking his medicine. Pepper is on medicine normally anyway so he's pretty good also. Storm seems to fight me the most and he makes the funniest faces.:p They were all sick last year so they have had their share of medicine and I've learned more about how to give it.

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2002, 11:34 PM
I just want everyone to know that Sunny is almost 100% better. He's been playing a lot and is full of energy. Storm and Pepper never got sick. Thank god. They only have to be on medicine for a couple more days. :D

Gio
04-22-2002, 06:51 AM
That's good news! :D

tatsxxx11
04-22-2002, 12:45 PM
Great news! Give a big cuddle to sweet, sniffly little Sunny!:) so glad to hear the rest of the crew was spared!! Fondly, Sandra