PDA

View Full Version : I'm so, so upset. I can't handle it :(

slleipnir
02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
I think I told you about the other week when some guy grabbed Zeke at flyball and scared him to death?

Anyway, THIS week, I came in early and did some exchange practice with a few other newbie dogs. He did excellent. I was so proud. Then he gets up, and he runs over to "play" with a dog. Uh oh, that's a big no no. That dog doesn't like to play. So I grab him and pull him off "No Zeke, bad!" Then the guys comes up, says "No!" and hits Zeke with his rope....like wtf?! What right does he have to do that? ESPECIALLY since Zeke was pulled off and no longer bugging his dog?! He doesn't know why he was just hit. The guy didn't look at me or say like "control your dog" or anything...which he SHOULD have done if he had a problem. So I bit my tounge so I wouldn't tell him off, and pulled Zeke. I had to go to the bathroom cause I was in tears. I'm so sick of it. It's like, everyone thinks Zeke is this stupid, mean, aggressive dog who will ruin their dogs. The captains KNOW he is like this, so I leave it to them to put him with dogs who are OK if this happens. They all know he isn't 100% yet.

I DO know that him doing this causes a lot of problems. It can ruin dogs. I don't think this dog would be ruined by Zeke. The guy thought Zeke was being aggressive...like so many other people. HE IS JUST OVERLY FRIENDLY...Why can't they get that through their heads. Urg! Someone else screamed when Zeke came up to their dog, someone else said "oh, he's not aggressive?" No, I don't think Zeke has an aggressive bone IN him. Besides, if he can ruin other dogs, which is a big no no, then why is it ok for them to ruin my dog? He is really soft, and the reason he doesn't run fast any more is because this other dog scared him to death.

If there is such a big problem, they should talk to me. They should have more people in the center when he runs. There is so many things they could do if they actually wanted him there.

I feel that I'm just a big problem for them and they don't really want me there. So, I'm throwing in the towel. I can't handle it anymore. My dad knows the guy who hit Zeke, and he says he's a big a******. He is an elitest snob. :( I'm so upset. Really. I don't know what to do, I've been working so hard wtih Zeke, and he's come so far!

gemini9961
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
It's very unfair to you and Zeke that people treat you and him this way. Some people just don't understand dogs and how dogs act. Just yesterday at the park with Kay, Grant ran up to a smaller dog to greet him and the dumb woman automatically assumes Grant is going to bite her dog. :mad: Um no, Grant doesn't bite other dogs, Grant was being friendly, but because her dog was smaller, Grant gets the bad rap. Audrey I wish you well with Zeke and Josie for that matter. :)

animal_rescue
OMG! He did not have the right to hit him! He should have said something to you, if he was upset.

Roxyluvsme13
:( I'm so sorry. They absolutely did NOt have the right to hit Zeke. major (((((HUGS)))) to you.

Kfamr
02-12-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm so sorry Audrey. I don't know what to say. :( There aren't any other places where you can run him in flyball? Maybe talk with the coaches one more time before you really decide to quit.

I know how you feel though. I have the same problem with Nala. You know how she is, she likes to play rough and has a deep, deep bark. Not many people understand that - yesterday I had some snot of a lady give me dirty looks all day at the park, because Nala wanted to play with her dog. She was fine. She just wanted to play. The lady didn't even respond to me when I told her "She's nice, she just wants to play, she won't hurt your dog." And I guess people don't understand the fact that she lives perfectly fine at home with 2 other dogs and many visitors who come in and out.

People just don't understand, thankfully others there did.

luvofallhorses
02-12-2006, 01:47 PM
what a jerk!! :mad: I'd definately talk to the person who runs this and tell on him. hugs to you and Zeke!

Alysser
02-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I just don't understand why he HIT Zeke? It sounds like he saw the problem was taken care of. People are stupid. He had NO right to hit Zeke. Don't give up just yet. I wish you luck and I'm really sorry. :(

dukedogsmom
02-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I just don't understand why he HIT Zeke? It sounds like he saw the problem was taken care of. People are stupid. He had NO right to hit Zeke. Don't give up just yet. I wish you luck and I'm really sorry. :(
Because he's a hateful excuse for a human, that's why! Audrey, I'm really sorry about all this. Are there any other dog things you can do that don't involve these people? I'm just not sure your fun is greater than the pain that these hateful people have caused. You need to move to Florida and hang out with us. If I were there, I'd give you and Zeke a big, squishy hug.

slleipnir
02-12-2006, 03:50 PM
He was really pissed off at Zeke, that's why hit him. (not that it's right) He is a bully, and not a nice person. I'm waiting to hear back from the captains..

There is only 1 club here right now. There aren't any agility clubs as far as I know...and I don't know what else I could do. *sigh*

It upsets me, because Zeke is one of THE NICEST dogs I know! Kay and Val, you met him, now would you say he is a big meany? He doesn't deserve to be hit or picked up off the ground and yelled at.

Alysser
02-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, I already knew that. Anyone who hits a dog for a reason like that is.

Ginger's Mom
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I see you say you are waiting for the captains to call you back. Are you just going to talk to them about what they are going to do to keep you as a valued member of the club or are you also going to report the man's actions. You really should he has no right to touch your dog, especially when you are there and have him under control. That should not be allowed within the club, and the captains need to be made aware of the fact that this man is hitting, grabbing etc. other people's dogs. They must have rules about that in the club. He is the one who needs to leave, not you.

slleipnir
02-12-2006, 05:18 PM
The time the guy scared Zeke, one captain said "He is just protecting his dog." Uh, from what?

This guy has been with them a long time, and is a good friend. I'm newer, and am not friends. Therefore, it's obvious who will win. I'm not a valued member, I doubt they could careless. It would be great for them if I decide not to come back. They can have their perfect club with their prefect dogs. They care WAY to much about speed and winning. I don't care if Zeke is fast, I want him to run and have fun, that's ALL I care about.It would be nice to win, but I'm not in it to win.

I asked them what they want me to do. If me and Zeke are going to be such a problem, I said I won't bother.

jackie
02-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh, I hope you donīt give it up especially if Zeke enjoys it. :(

I would just ignore the guy, and if something else happens, tell him immediately that is is not ok for him to touch your animal.

slleipnir
02-12-2006, 06:15 PM
The thing is, so far it's been 2 DIFFERENT people. I just can't handle it. I have never hit Zeke, I just don't punish him that way. The first guy (Forrest) didn't hit Zeke. He just scared him. Which I accepted. Zeke kept getting in his dogs face. The guy tried other things, but I believe it was just HIS way. I do believe he handles his dogs this way as well, and I think he ment the best by it. He is a nice guy, so I didn't get upset. THIS guy (Mike), however, I don't believe I've ever had a conversation with him. I'm really shy around these people, so I'm still working with it. Forrest actually comes up to me and will ask what's going on or whatever. Mike, like I said, doesn't know I exist...which is good...because he is the treasurer for the club, and never adds my name to the list for payments...Anyway, I believe he hit Zeke just because he was angry, he didn't have Zeke best interest in mind at all. He use to be my neighbor, actually. My mom said he is an a$$, and my dad says the same thing. I think I used to ride my bike on their lawn when I was just a kid, and he use to yell at me. I was only really young, so I don't really remember.

So in Zeke's best interest, I will give it up. I couldn't handle someone really losing their temper at him. I would definetly tell them off, and be kicked out anyway. Zeke doesn't know that it is wrong, so there is no point being angry with him. Mike could be angry at ME, and talk to ME. It's MY fault. Not Zeke's.

People just don't like me. Maybe I'm shy and come across being a snob, I don't know.

GoldenLuv
02-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I would of rip that guy a new butt and asked him if he would like me to hit him up side the head.. there is no way in heck i wo uld be taking my dog back there no no no no

cyber-sibes
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
:( Poor Zeke. I can imagine how pissed you are. But if I were in your shoes, I would probably not go there anymore either :mad: Maybe you can find another activity you can do with Zeke, with more dog-friendly people.

cloverfdx
02-13-2006, 05:13 AM
First up that guy had NO right to hit Zeke man, and second if his dog has a problem why is it in taining with dogs that are known to cross into the other lane?

If Zeke enjoys flyball it would realy be a shame to give it up.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Poor Zeke - that guy had no right to hit him! I hope you find somewhere else to go

KYS
02-13-2006, 08:47 AM
First off that person had no right to hit your dog,
especially because the situation had already been absolved.
If you feel you get no respect, I would take a parent with you and
talk to the highest person involved and air out your concerns.
If this doesn't solve the problem and you can not keep this person
from touching your dog, than take Zeke out. :(

RobiLee
02-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Audrey, this just makes me so mad! I can't stand to think of someone hitting Zeke or hurting him in anyway. I also hate the idea of you giving up the flyball. It sounds like you work so hard with Zeke and it also sounds like such a good thing to do with your dog and I just hate to see you give it up because of a few idiots. I really hope things can get worked out so that you can enjoy this activity. {{Great Big Hugs For You}}

pnance
02-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Bottom line no other person has the right to discipline your dog unless he/she is attacking theirs and your not doing anything about it, which is obviously not the case here. We had a dog in Hunter's agility who is at the same time but had a different instructor. He was extremely hyper and every time you'd release his leash for a run he'd charge across the field toward our class. He wasn't being mean but he'd jump all over the other dogs, (he weighed maybe 25 lbs). Luckily of the 5 large dogs in our class none are aggressive, they were more surprised than anything. Unfortunately their are 2 tiny poms that weigh at most 4 lbs in our class as well. He could do some serious damage just being "friendly". We were all fine initially (accidents happen, no harm done) but the thing that really annoyed us was that the owner never corrected him, she coddled him instead. After it happened 3 times in one class the pom owners had to hold their dogs and we always made sure the larger dogs were kept between the other class and any course the pom's were running. That said none of us even considered raising a hand or disciplining her dog, we simiply don't have the right. I'd definately talk to the captains/instructors Explain what happened and discuss your concerns, they might have some suggestions. It would be a shame for you to pull out just because a couple of people are jerks. The idea of flyball or any other dog sport is that it should be fun, some people forget that in the need to win.

Husky_mom
02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
ok just tell me you it was and i will GLADLY punch them right in the face, iīm serious.........
Zeke doesnt deserves that, iīm so sad too, poor guy, give him tons of kisses and hugs from me

Pembroke_Corgi
02-13-2006, 11:44 AM
It's very unfair to you and Zeke that people treat you and him this way. Some people just don't understand dogs and how dogs act.

I agree. No one has the right to hit your dog. I really hope that Zeke will be okay from it, and not begin to distrust anyone. Maybe there are other flyball groups in your area that are better. If you don't feel comfortable there and they are not being fair to you, I wouldn't stay either.

BC_MoM
02-13-2006, 11:52 AM
You said you want Zeke to have fun, while this team is in to winning. Then you need to find yourself a team that loves to have fun and doesn't care about the winning part. :D

Would you have enough people in your area so you could make your OWN flyball team? :D

elizabethann
02-13-2006, 02:38 PM
The thing is, so far it's been 2 DIFFERENT people. I just can't handle it. I have never hit Zeke, I just don't punish him that way. The first guy (Forrest) didn't hit Zeke. He just scared him. Which I accepted. Zeke kept getting in his dogs face. The guy tried other things, but I believe it was just HIS way. I do believe he handles his dogs this way as well, and I think he ment the best by it. He is a nice guy, so I didn't get upset. THIS guy (Mike), however, I don't believe I've ever had a conversation with him. I'm really shy around these people, so I'm still working with it. Forrest actually comes up to me and will ask what's going on or whatever. Mike, like I said, doesn't know I exist...which is good...because he is the treasurer for the club, and never adds my name to the list for payments...Anyway, I believe he hit Zeke just because he was angry, he didn't have Zeke best interest in mind at all. He use to be my neighbor, actually. My mom said he is an a$$, and my dad says the same thing. I think I used to ride my bike on their lawn when I was just a kid, and he use to yell at me. I was only really young, so I don't really remember.

So in Zeke's best interest, I will give it up. I couldn't handle someone really losing their temper at him. I would definetly tell them off, and be kicked out anyway. Zeke doesn't know that it is wrong, so there is no point being angry with him. Mike could be angry at ME, and talk to ME. It's MY fault. Not Zeke's.

People just don't like me. Maybe I'm shy and come across being a snob, I don't know.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you can find another club or another sport that you and Zeke can persue and you can both enjoy. I can't imagine what I would do if somebody hit Fenway. Perhaps you can write your feelings in a letter and send it to them? Sometimes that helps. Take care.

slleipnir
02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I got a reply. I will share it here, and you can tell me what you think.

Audrey,

I have been thinking long and hard on what transpired at practice last night, as well as what has transpired with you and Zeke in the (nearly?) year that you two have been training with us. Your email below also had me thinking. Please remember that what I write about below refers directly to my observations of you and Zeke at flyball. I have no idea how Zeke acts in other areas of his life and so cannot comment on that.

I will not get into the specifics about what transpired last night as I did not directly witness anything...and I have already heard several different interpretations of what occured. Only know that I truly regret that your feelings were hurt last night. This sport is supposed to be fun. No one wishes any potential harm to come to any of their pets.

Having said that....I will be very frank with you about what I see with respect to you and Zeke. Speaking as a trainer, a team captain, a flyball competitor and as a pet owner, I will do my very best to clearly explain to you the situation as I see it.

I personnally don't feel Zeke is "aggressive" (and I believe that the majority of our experienced dog people would agree with me here)...if we felt Zeke was aggressive he would not still be training with us. I do strongly believe that Zeke is extremely rude. His behavior towards other dogs is highly unacceptable....he repeatedly 'tracks' dogs on the mats, many times targeting one specific dog, and proceeds to approach this target straight on (most times running), makes very direct eye contact, and often times he makes body contact, all the while his posture is very upright, ears forward. This could certainly be perceived as aggressive behavior by the dog being violated. And to make matters worse, Zeke doesn't respond properly to the reaction he gets from most of the 'targetted' dogs (a growl or bark from the targeted dog seems to interest him more).

You consistently dismiss Zeke's behavior as "really playfull", however, I have yet to see any dog that Zeke has approached like this look like he/she wants to start playing. Play begins most times between dogs (especially those that don't know each other) by a side-on, sometimes cautious approach by both dogs (feeling out each other so to speak), most times eye contact is very indirect....perhaps the dogs are 'looking' at the other dog's side, then some sniffing, tail wagging and probably a play bow or two and finally fun should they both agree. As you can plainly see this is not how Zeke is approaching dogs at flyball.

In the world of flyball....personal space for each dog on the mats is not to be violated. Crossing (whatever the intention), especially if contact is made, is grounds for a write-up and dismissal from the tourney. If a dog is written up by a judge several times, he/she is exused from racing with NAFA period. If Zeke were to cross (like he has repeatedly at practice) in a tourney setting he would be written up and excused from racing for the duration of the tourney.

Zeke is not the only dog that has crossed at our practices. Many green dogs go through this learning process. Most times what gets a dog into trouble with crossing is a high prey/chase drive....really a 'knee-jerk' reaction by the dog to a fast moving object. This is a well established instinct in dogs (and what I am currently dealing with with my BC). However, just because a dog is born with an intinct to 'chase' down fast moving objects, doesn't mean he/she can't (shouldn't) be trained as to what is acceptable to chase and what is not. That is where we come in, as owners/trainers.

And quite frankly, that is where Zeke is having problems. I get the distinct impression that you expect some of our club members to train Zeke. You often make mention that you are not a trainer. But you own a dog(s). That automatically makes you a trainer. How did Zeke learn to go 'potty' outside? Or sit, settle in the car on drives, pose for a beautiful picture, etc.? I could go on but hopefully you get the idea. You have trained Zeke to fit into your life. You may not have worked with as many dogs as some of us have , however, you know Zeke the best. I firmly believe we, as owners, always know our dogs best. And as long as you, as his owner/trainer, do not acknowledge that Zeke has a behavior problem (that he is being socially rude to other dogs....not being playful), he will not get the training to help him overcome it.

Because you don't acknowledge how 'rude' and inappropriate Zeke's behavior is (at flyball)....you do not act quickly and purposefully when Zeke crosses on another dog at practice and that is very frustrating for the owner of the other dog involved. I'll give you an example....Eileen is having a similar problem with Pawn. Pawn is crossing sometimes...targeting a dog for an unknown reason to us. As soon as Pawn acts like she will cross (or crosses), Eileen immediately reacts and Pawn is put away (on time-out so to speak). Eileen fully recognizes that Pawn's behavior puts Pawn and any other dogs on the floor at risk, she reacts quickly and so everyone on the floor feels more at ease.

When I read your email below, I immediately thought of an article I had read a few years ago. I found it this morning...it is called "He just wants to say "Hi"!" and I urge you to take a few moments to read it thoroughly. http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html Although it focuses more on how to socialize dogs to be more tolerable of rude dogs...I think that reading it could bring home some of the comments I have made.

This email has become way to long-winded...but I wanted to be as clear and detailed as possible. I hope I have not offended you in any way, and I hope you get something out of reading this. As far as Zeke's participation in flyball, I have mixed feelings. I like Zeke and certainly want the best for him...he should be given the opportunity to have a job/past-time that both you and he enjoys. But I wonder if maybe there isn't something out there that might suit you and Zeke better than flyball. Something that is more one-on-one like agility or disc dog (frisbee).

I welcome any any comments/questions you might have after reading this,

It seems to me, the could care less if I dropped off the planet and never cmae back to practice. A lot of what she said doesn't seem right, just excuses. Like, I never ONCE asked ANYONE to train Zeke. Yes, I HAVE asked for advice, but how is that them training for me?? I want to do it myself, I just don't know where to go with it. They tell me Zeke has his ears forward, and doesn't do the play bow thing...it's not neccessarily aggression, but appearintly it LOOKS like aggression to the dogs?

There is no other flyball clubs, agility or any other clubs near me. I can't drive 2 hours to go to one.

Another thing, I'm not quick to react...yet, this is the first I've heard of it. Shouldn't they be pointing these things out to me? 90% of this e-mail is the FIRST I've heard of it. They should be making suggestions all along if they really wanted me there.

Someone else told me that this guy was being NICE in his reaction, and others would do worse. They might scare him, but it would be for his (and their dogs) best interest, I'm sure. They wouldn't come up to him AFTER he is under control and HIT them.

They are one big family, so naturally they will defend him. I'm an outsider, so I'm not important anyway. I've been crying over this for 2 days now. I'm so upset. I really can't seem to do anything right. I messed up with Josie, and I can't do anything with her. Now Zeke. I can't do anything with him. I'm so sick of myself. I really shouldn't own pets.

Husky_mom
02-13-2006, 04:29 PM
dont feel that way, like you said you are the "outsider" thay have to cever thair backs first, but i think what happened is still wrong and they should let Zeke participate, and they shouldīve told you the thing they noticed as soon as they appeared and not wait too long so they can be corrected.....

i really hope things get better with you and the pups..........

dab_20
02-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Please, please don't put yourself down like that! You are a wonderful dog owner! That guy should NOT have hit Zeke at all. Isn't that like illegal or something? It should be.

Maybe Zeke isn't the most well behaved dog in the world... but he is a wonderful dog and should not be treated like that. He sounds very smart and overall well behaved. You should not be treated like that, either. They are the ones that are being disrespectful to you. I probably woulden't go back if I were you, but I woulden't stop doing flyball with Zeke either. Maybe start your own group? Put flyers around or something.

Good Luck with everything.

...Danielle

slleipnir
02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't have the money to start my own group. The jumps themselves are expensive, plus they easily break. I don't know enough about it either. So there is no point in that.

dog_pug123
02-13-2006, 06:21 PM
That's absoulutly horrible. I think you would be better off with a different flyball club. If someone did that to my dog I wouldn't be able to hold my tongue down with my teeth, lol. Hopefully that guy apologizes sooner or later, and if he doesn't don't let it get to you. He's horrible!

KYS
02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
First don't beat yourself up. We all look at our dogs a bit differently than
others do. (that's because we love them so much) :)
I have a sister that spoils and doesn't train her love bug little dog
nearly enough, yet in her mind her dog is trained.

Looks like you have two choices.
1st I do not think the team captains should discipline your dog.
I think that should be done by you.
If you enjoy flyball and you think Zeke does too, than
bite the bullet and start disciplining him when he is rude to
other dogs by time outs etc. IF after awhile it looks like Zeke is still
not improving than try something else with him.

I would have loved for my Rocky to be a Therapy dog but he would made a
lousy one. Sheba, I would have loved to compete in obedience with, but
she was not reliable off lead with other dogs.

Give it another try and see what happens.
Either way you have a wonderful dog in Zeke and you are a good owner.
Just my two cents. :)

elizabethann
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
First don't beat yourself up. We all look at our dogs a bit differently than
others do. (that's because we love them so much) :)
I have a sister that spoils and doesn't train her love bug little dog
nearly enough, yet in her mind her dog is trained.

Looks like you have two choices.
1st I do not think the team captains should discipline your dog.
I think that should be done by you.
If you enjoy flyball and you think Zeke does too, than
bite the bullet and start disciplining him when he is rude to
other dogs by time outs etc. IF after awhile it looks like Zeke is still
not improving than try something else with him.

I would have loved for my Rocky to be a Therapy dog but he would made a
lousy one. Sheba, I would have loved to compete in obedience with, but
she was not reliable off lead with other dogs.

Give it another try and see what happens.
Either way you have a wonderful dog in Zeke and you are a good owner.
Just my two cents. :)

Those are some good ideas. I like the therapy dog idea as well as the competetion obedience.

slleipnir
02-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm waiting for Zeke to be tested to be a therapy dog, although I'm sure he'll suck at that too. He jumps up sometimes, and that is an automatic fail.

dog_pug123
02-13-2006, 06:36 PM
I don't mean to be mean at all, but you're acting like he can do nothing. I'm sure he's good at many things that you haven't seen yet. I bet he'll do good for a Therapy Dog, from what I've heard he seems like a real sweetie. Have you ever tried agility or frisbee? Or freestyle?

slleipnir
02-13-2006, 06:49 PM
All I ment was, he sometimes jumps up on people, and if he does, he fails. There is no question in my mind that he would be an excellent therapy dog. Then again, same with flyball. He would be excellent at it too if not for his love of dogs.

Ginger's Mom
02-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I am sorry Audrey. Two thoughts, first I think it would be great if you worked with Zeke to be a Therapy dog. You already know that his jumping won't be acceptable, but that is alright, you have time to work with him (yes, you can you are a wonderful dog owner). And maybe try agility or frisbee with him. I heard you say that they are the only training group around, but if you get involved with them in an activity where all of the dogs aren't working at the same time it may still be as much fun for Zeke and less stressful for you. Good luck to you, and hugs to Zeke.

cyber-sibes
02-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Awww, Audrey, don't be so hard on yourself, anyone would be upset and you are not a BAD owner! ;)
Well,at least the reply you got back was civil. I think she's (he's?) trying to help you see what you need to do, if you want to succeed with this flyball group. It just sounds like not everyone in the group is tolerant of your inexperience, but you're correct in thinking that these things should have been explained to you long ago. Doesn't sound like much fun, though, for you or Zeke right now. So it sounds like you will either have to decide to do whatever it takes to be on top of Zeke every second you're there until he understands what's acceptable and not, or find something where the people are less competitive, that will be a whole lot more fun. Can't find anything around? Hmmm, I've seen people on animal planet that "dance" with their dogs- it looks like a blast! And maybe setting up an agility course on your own would be fun, no fancy equipment, but lots of imagination & creativity. keep your chin up.
BTW- I've been looking at your handome Zeke everyday on the Pettalk calander & thinking of you. He's got such personality! I hope you can find something better than this lousy situation.

pnance
02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
The others are right, your definately are not a bad pet owner and don't ever think that. Zeke is a well cared for happy boy and for that you should consider yourself a great pet owner. It sounds like Zeke isn't the only one who has this problem, but the way you correct it may be where the problem lies. The trainer gave you some good advice on how to go about correcting Zeke if he does this. I don't know how your flyball training is setup, but if their are different levels you might want to take him back a level or 2 and start at the basics. He knows flyball so your focus can be on correcting the problem rather than teaching how to do flyball. I've seen an owner in Hunters agility class repeat a level to give them a chance to gain better control. Bottom line is no matter what don't ever think of yourself as a bad pet owner.

slleipnir
02-14-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm finished with them.

The captain appearintly talked with both people, and they both said Zeke was biting them, staring them down and "targetting" them. Does this not sound like he is aggressive? They are appearintly experts, but yet they can't tell he is playing? THAT is how Zeke plays. He bites, yes, what dog doesn't when they play? He wasn't ripping into the dog. Zeke may not be so exerperianced with dog language, I don't know. He does play bow, but he doesn't go up to other dogs from the side, play bow. He doesn't. He gets right in their face and is like "let's play!!" he has NEVER had ANY problems with any dog outside of flyball. Every other dog takes this as play. Flyball tells me it is aggressive behaviour. They don' know dogs well. One of the dogs I'm looking after growls and snarls when she plays. At first I thought she was kinda mean, but no, that's how she plays. I believe Nala does the same thing, and from the time I've spent with her, she seems in no way, aggressive. A lot of flyball dogs on my team seem like robots. So why would they want to play with Zeke? Of course they will react badly, they don't WANT to play even if Zeke DID approach normally.

I addressed the issue about Zeke being hit, and they simply avoided the question. They said this and that, but NEVER said "you're right, hitting is wrong" In fact, they said "No one at our club hits dogs. Witnesses say Mike only pushed Zeke" Tell me, how do you push a dog with a rope? He raised it in the air, and brought it down on Zeke. I'm not blind. I know what happened. But, it seems I'm the only one who saw it. Or, perhaps they live in their own world, and if one person says it, then everyone else must agree. They are perfect, after all.

I'm not going to be dealing with people who can't even admit, or acknowlege when they've strike a dog. That's called anger. They keep going on about Zeke being rude...They say me OR zeke are not fit to be flyball people/dog. She said I'm too shy, and can't handle how other people treat my dog. In flyball, people do this to other peoples dogs. And I WAS FINE with it, until he HIT my dog that was under my control. There was NO need.

I'm sure they'll sit around talking about what a stupid person I am, and how my dog is an aggressive dog, and how they're so glad to be rid of me. So much for all the vollenteer work I did for them.

I cried for a good 3 or more hours last night until I was eventually just too tired and fell asleep. There is so much stress in my life, and it keeps building and building. First I had this issue with my friends and a trip, plus I've been working everyday for a month or 2 now, and it's taking a toll on me, now I'm looking after a friends dogs, which is a lot of pressure, now the flyball, and soon my work may or may not close. I don't handle stress well, and I usually get really depressed. I feel like crying all the time. I feel like the year or 2 I spent with those people, and they're just happy to see me go? I guess I was looking for someone to say "sorry to see you go" I'll miss them, but they won't miss me. I feel life isn't going to well for me right now

slleipnir
02-14-2006, 07:15 AM
The others are right, your definately are not a bad pet owner and don't ever think that. Zeke is a well cared for happy boy and for that you should consider yourself a great pet owner. It sounds like Zeke isn't the only one who has this problem, but the way you correct it may be where the problem lies. The trainer gave you some good advice on how to go about correcting Zeke if he does this. I don't know how your flyball training is setup, but if their are different levels you might want to take him back a level or 2 and start at the basics. He knows flyball so your focus can be on correcting the problem rather than teaching how to do flyball. I've seen an owner in Hunters agility class repeat a level to give them a chance to gain better control. Bottom line is no matter what don't ever think of yourself as a bad pet owner.

I agree, but she should have told me this in the beginning, not after a problem arises. I've only trained 2 dogs. They've had a lot of dogs, trained a lot of dogs. How can they expect me to be on their level of knowledge? Common sence to them, may not be for me! They NEED to tell me this or I won't know!!

*LabLoverKEB*
02-14-2006, 04:12 PM
What a big fat a$$hole of a bully. That's not fair to poor, sweet Zeke. That's so cruel. If anyone did that to my dog, I would deffineatley *be brave* and tell them off. So sorry tyhat this happened, Audrey. Let Zekey know that we her on Pet Talk love him.

dab_20
02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
I am soo sorry that your so stressed. Life can be so cruel to perfectly great people.

Your other thread says your trying to get a group going, and I applaud you for that. Please don't give up, Zeke loves and appreciates you for being such a caring person. You go to great measures for him. Those people at fly ball can be in there stupid little group- they are being very unfair and cruel. They don't deserve any respect at all for what they've done to you... and possibly other dogs and people in the future.

Good Luck!! :D

wolf_Q
02-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Audrey, I'm so sorry to hear about all this mess. I can't believe the guy hit Zeke and they won't even admit it. :( I know I haven't met Zeke but from everything you say about him I can't even imagine him being "aggressive." They obviously just don't understand that some dogs play differently than others. I know how awful I felt when Nebo was kicked out of the agility classes, I was so upset, it still bothers me actually. :( I hope everything will work out, that'd be great if you could start your own group. Please give sweet Zekey boy a kiss for me!