PDA

View Full Version : A somber thought ...

AmberLee
04-15-2002, 09:08 PM
I was goofing off in the Cat Fancy Assoc. website **who, me? gasp** and came across a selection of educational articles that were quite interesting. One article on making arrangements for your pets in case of your own death or illness (http://www.cfainc.org/articles/whos-who.html) made several facinating points that I hadn't thought of. I know it's somber, and that we all will live forever ;) , but am posting the link in case you'd like to consider suggestions for friends who may not be so fortunate.

Caviot (blast, I can't spell, you know what I mean though): the article was written focused from the point of view of professional cat breeders, but many of the points are valid for those of us who are 'mere' owners, too. For the non-cat people, you may need to make some adjustments where appropriate to better fit your situation.

You all are dear and important to me. This is for consideration only, so you all stay happy and healthy now, ya hear? All right! :cool: :D **hugs and snugglies at ya**

Logan
04-15-2002, 09:44 PM
It is a sobering, but good reminder, especially for those of us who are single and have many pets (some of whom even my family says "no way" to.....can you guess which one?).

I have both situations, Amberlee, lots of pets and I'm single. And although I have thought through some of them, now with my feathered friends, I just don't know. :( Need to give that some consideration.

Logan

gini
04-15-2002, 09:52 PM
I have a sweet friend who lost her husband last December. She has a lovely home with a big fenced in yard. She is in her early eighties, but very active and healthy.

She adopted a Scotty. But what struck me was her thoughtfulness in her selection. She wanted an "older" dog because of her own age. She didn't think it was fair to get a puppy that might have to be rehomed at mid-age.

So she adopted Scarlett who is from a divorcing couple. Neither wanted Scarlett.

Scarlett (who I call Scarlett O'Scotty) is absolutely wonderful. She is pure bred - and about five or six. She settled in immediately with her new owner and is spoiled rotten with toys, treats, sweaters etc.

I just thought the consideration given to the dog first was very touching and made me love this woman all the more!

AmberLee
04-16-2002, 12:13 AM
Gini,

How heart-warming!

Pam
04-16-2002, 06:10 AM
Gini that is a sweet story and I am so happy for that lady and also for Scarlett O'Scotty! (just love that name!) :) My two children are in their 20's and would be more than happy to adopt my 'three musketeers' should the need arise. This is a topic that is uncomfortable to think about but should be considered. I occasionally look through Petfinder and have been amazed at how many dogs and cats are in shelters because their owners died or went into nursing homes. :(

anna_66
04-16-2002, 08:25 AM
We have made arrangements with my husbands nephew & his soon to be wife to take care our dogs. We filled out a durable power of attorney, and they make all decisions for the dogs, god forbid, anything happen to us. We also carry a Emergeny Contact, with pictures of both of the dogs in all of our cars, just in case we're in an accident or something. I want to know who's taking care of my babies!

Cincy'sMom
04-16-2002, 03:56 PM
That is really thinking ahead Anna. I have never given any thought to who would take our dogs if something happened to us. Our problem maybe be too many people wanting them. I know my mom does and my sister and my friend at work are all saying if we decide we don't want them, they do. How could I give up my babies though? Something awful would have to happen for it to come to that!

Former User
04-17-2002, 02:36 AM
Never thought of that, but I know Sandy (Pominba) would take our cats in a heartbeat if something would happen to us.

purrley
04-17-2002, 06:46 AM
It's always a wise thing to be prepared just in case. I've made arrangements for my daughter to get EVERYTHING and that includes my cats. She has a cat of her own and she promised me that she would take very good care of mine if need be. It is a somber thought, but so necessary. It was really hard for me to make all these kinds of arrangements with my Mom who is 81. The Power of Attorney sure has come in handy and so it will for my daughter also.