PDA

View Full Version : Scary time for me and Sierra

hobird58
04-15-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi,

Well I am finally able to talk about this now. Last week on Monday the 8th, I came home late from work and after a few minutes noticed that Sierra (Dog of the day 3-03-02), my 5 month old Golden Retriever, didn't come and meet me at the door. I found her out back and she was sick! She had bloody stools and was vomiting and looked awful. We rushed her to the emergency vet and they thought she must have eaten something toxic becaure she was up to date on all of her vaccinations. After doing some stool tests they ruled out any parasites so they sent us home with some antibiotics and instructions to try to get her to drink as much as possible and to keep a close eye on her that night and take her to her vet first thing in the morning.

Well, a very sleepness night. She slept well, but it seemed more like she was out of it and couldn't do anything else. I brought her water and she did take a little bit so I was sort of encouraged. In the morning she was so bad that she wouldn't even lift her head up, she looked like she had just given up and that scared me so much. I picked her up and helped her walk to the kitchen and held her while she drank some water and then we went straight to the vet.

He checked everything too, her temp was normal but he could tell that she was having intenstinal trouble and thought it was something poisonous too. But he said it sure acted like Parvo so he sent out a blood sample and we treated her like that was it just in case. They kept her at the vets all day with an IV for fluid and he tried feeding her but it came back up... When I picked her up that afternoon she was feeling a little better but still was very sick. I fed her rice and Pedialite for that night and Wed. Wed. night she ate some rice and didn't throw up and she seemed better. Then on Thursday morning I got up and she wasn't in my room so I went into the bathroom and when I came out she was up on the bed with my husband wagging her tail and showing off her favorite toy... I just cried.. my puppy was back!!!!

The test was positive for Parvo, the vet was very surprised because of all the vaccinations being on time and everything but it is possible I guess, I just don't know how. He said that once she had kept food down and didn't have any loose stools for 24 hours than she was through it and would completely recover.

It is now 1 week later and she is completely better, eating and running and retrieving the paper again. I am so lucky.

I really wanted to write this to let everyone know how careful you have to be with these angels of ours. I will never let a puppy out of my yard until she is 6 months or older again.

Thank you for listening... I am so happy now, but very much aware of how precious she is to me...

Sally and Sierra.....

Fuzzy317
04-15-2002, 06:49 PM
I am glad Sierra is better now. That must have been a big scare for you. Give Seirra a hug for coming through it, and being so brave.

Cincy'sMom
04-15-2002, 06:50 PM
How scary for you!
Cincy has gotten into things in the back yard a few times that have made her sick (usually just the vomitting) and that is scary enough. I can't imagine how awful it was for you!

Prayers of thanks that Sierra will be okay!

RachelJ
04-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Sally, having had a scary episode with my Hannah last October, I know the fright that you have experienced. I am so glad to hear that Sierra has made a good recovery and that she will be okay. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope you have recovered from the incident as well.

aly
04-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Oh my goodness. I had an incident with Reece after he got into some chicken bones (but I didn't know that at the time). It was soooo scary. I can't even imagine how you must have felt that your baby got parvo! What a miracle dog. I am so glad she came through with flying colors. Please give her a big kiss from me and maybe give her a few extra treats :)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-15-2002, 07:06 PM
I'm so glad Sierra is ok. What a scare! I'd be a total mess.

shais_mom
04-15-2002, 08:57 PM
How Scary for you. I am so glad she has come thru it ok. Having a golden baby myself that gets into EVERYTHING I can't imagine what you must have went thru.
Give Sierra a kiss from Keegan and I.

mugsy
04-15-2002, 09:00 PM
You sound like you were a lot calmer than I would have been. I would have been a first class basket case. I'm sure glad Sierra is better now and thanks for the heads up. Our vet told us last year that around here there was a Parvo scare because it was a brand new strain and the vaccines were working...needless to say, I haven't taken any of the dogs back to any well travelled pet stores since. Hugs to Sierra!!

anna_66
04-15-2002, 09:22 PM
I'm so glad Sierra is ok, Parvo is a really bad thing. Our Angus had it, showed up about a week after we got him, and he was just the same way you were talking about. It's soooo scary, I'm just so happy Sierra got over it fine! Give her lots of lovin' from me!:D

Sudilar
04-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Thank goodness Sierra pulled through this horrible disease. How scary for you. Give her a hug for me.

Sue, Killian and Shiloh

delidog
04-15-2002, 10:34 PM
so glad that sierra is felling better...when her tummy is back to normal,give her a big hug for deli,ms.puss and i.....parvo is a horrible,frightening disease....remember it is carried on your skin and clothes...not necessarily her going in the garbage....it is an airborne disease....so you keeping your little angel up on her shots is the best preventative.....

{{{{{cyber hugs}}}}}}} for you and your dear sierra!!!!

LoudLou
04-15-2002, 10:52 PM
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/eek4.gif EEK!Sally and Sierra what a scary time for everybody!!! So glad that Sierra is back to her usual HAPPY self. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/new/barkley.gif

Katie, Loud Louie & The Beans

Gio
04-16-2002, 03:25 AM
What a horrible experience you had. There is nothing worse than when they are sick but you don't know what it is that makes them feel that way and you feel so helpless.

I'm really happy that Sierra is now well again.

DoggiesAreTheBest
04-16-2002, 06:18 AM
Sally, how scary that must have been for you! I am so glad that Sierra is doing better now.

These pups are so precious to us and I know how terrifying it can be when oe of them is sick. I am glad that you were able to take her to the vet quickly and get her back on the road to recovery.

Give Sierra lots of hugs and kisses from Draker and I.

Dixieland Dancer
04-16-2002, 11:00 AM
I am glad Sierra is doing better now too! I realize what a scare that was for you.

Next time, please post earlier so we can start praying. We do not like to see any of our Pet Talk members have to go through this kind of thing alone. We are here for you!!

Rosebitz
04-16-2002, 11:29 AM
It's really wonderful that Sierra is back to her normal lovable puppy behavior.......(she is my grand-dog).........and I know the absolute terror that Sally went through last week... You all are great friends to give her so much good feedback in this thread.

I do hope that each of you will pass on the advice that the doggie ER physcian gave Sally: please keep puppies away from any public places if possible until they've had all their puppy shots, and that the shots have had a good month or two to take effect!

Thanks again, all you terrific doggie people!

Rose

hobird58
04-16-2002, 11:35 AM
Thank you for all your kind words and thoughts.

Sierra is doing great, back to her old character self. It sure made us even closer than before. I am not taking her to agility class for a few weeks, just to make sure she is fully recovered and strong enough.

She sure does make me smile...:) :) :) :) :)

Yippee!!!

S & S
(Sally and Sierra)

Albea
04-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Sally:
It's so good to hear that Sierra is well and back to her puppy antics.;) I can imagine how worried you must have been.:( Give her many hugs and kisses from us.

RachelJ
04-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by hobird58
It sure made us even closer than before

I almost posted the same thing in my initial post...about even if you thought you loved her before you will come through this knowing that you love her more than you knew.