PDA

View Full Version : Laws for wolfdogs?

Alysser
02-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Are there certian laws for wolfdogs? Like they need to be kept on a leash at all times or something, because they are part wolf? :confused:

Miss Z
02-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't know, but probably. I don't know a lot about wolf hybrids because i doubt whether there are very many in England since the last british wolf was exterminated long ago:( but i can imagine that people would be wary of them, so probably they should be kept on a leash when in public.

animal_rescue
02-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Any dog should be kept on a leash in public.

We're not sure but we were told by her breeder that our RB Hannah was a Wolf/GSD mix.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid159/p0eed12c121fded885348040d4d186901/f4f3f077.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p53d4f50ab5ea2cd69b9ef1453627a8d3/f513b72a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid153/pf3f3bb7c5e0831a0e3b72737b858e38b/f589fa6e.jpg

Fear_Nuclear
02-11-2006, 03:28 PM
I have to say yes because they are very aggressive dogs the more wolf they have in them the harder it is to train them. Wolfdogs will dig under, jump, climb over, or break through the average "suburban" fence. I like these dogs but they are not very obedient. ;)

Alysser
02-11-2006, 03:35 PM
They're are wolfdogs in England. Czech wolfdogs.

animal_rescue
02-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I have to say yes because they are very aggressive dogs the more wolf they have in them the harder it is to train them. Wolfdogs will dig under, jump, climb over, or break through the average "suburban" fence. I like these dogs but they are not very obedient. ;)

Just because they are hard to train, doesn't make them aggressive..

My friend has a GSD/Wolfdog and it's an absolute doll. Sure mischevious but not aggressive.

Alysser
02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
:rolleyes:
Just because they are hard to train, doesn't make them aggressive..

My friend has a GSD/Wolfdog and it's an absolute doll. Sure mischevious but not aggressive.

I totally agree. Wolfdogs just have more of a natural instinct in them so they are harder to train. They aren't VERY aggressive. :rolleyes:

Fear_Nuclear
02-11-2006, 07:34 PM
These are unique, high-spirited animals who are intelligent, creative and demanding. :) These are not traits that most people, looking for a pet, are prepared to deal with :rolleyes:- though, unfortunately, far too many think that they are. ;) A wolfdog will test you in ways unimaginable if you are inexperienced or unknowledgeable. Even if you are prepared, you will be constantly tested :confused: - it definitely helps to have a sense of humor with them because the tests will be a challenge. :eek:

People "own" pets, but you can never "own" a wolfdog. You can provide for it, care for it and love it - but ultimately they make the decision whether or not to "share" their soul with you. If you are chosen to share this bond with them, they will place their trust in you for the rest of their lives

You can look it up most not all wolfdogs turn aggressive around mutrity. Some are diffrent. :)

Miss Z
02-12-2006, 03:40 AM
They're are wolfdogs in England. Czech wolfdogs.

Yes, but very few. I've never seen one before;) I've even heard of people keeping pure wolves, but i have to say that wolves are not dogs and can definitely not be kept like a dog, and maybe to a point that is similar to wolf hybrids. If you're experienced with other large and strong dogs, then it's fine to keep them, but i don't think that they're suitable for most people. I'm sure that you can get really gentle wolfdogs who would never even bark too loud, but i know two border collies who live down the road that have to be muzzled, have beware of the dog signs and also a guard on the letterbox to stop them shredding the post, and of course, that doesn't make all people think that BCs are bad. And my neighbour used to have the most lovely rottie, but that wouldn't convince everyone that they are loving dogs, and i think the same goes for wolfdogs. You will get placid and difficult animals just depending on personality.

howl4metok
02-12-2006, 08:46 AM
There are a ton of laws regulating wolfdogs. Depending on where you are it varies greatly. Some places you can't have them at all, you can't even transport them through certain places. Others you need a wildlife permit, and some they're considered regular dogs as long as they're under a certain %.
Here in Pa, you must have a permit from the State Game Commission, they can only be treated by a wildlife vet, they must have outdoor enclosures that are at least 6' high with some sort of reinforcement to prevent digging out. You also need permits from all the local governments, township, city, etc.

Aside from that, because the US refuses to recognize the wolfdog as a pet in any regard, it will not approve Rabies Vaccines for them. So even if the vet gives a wolfdog a rabies shot, if it ever bit anyone there is no quarantine, they must be destroyed and tested to rule out rabies. No wolfdog who's been vacinated has ever been found to have contracted rabies, but still the vaccine is not approved.

Being in wolfdog rescue, I have seen many wolfdogs come from many bad places. I've never seen a case where one needed a new home because he or she was aggressive towards people. Any aggressive behavior is usually directed at other dogs or animals.
In the wild, wolves rely on themselves. They don't need people to feed them or keep them warm. They are very intelligent, self-sufficient animals, and so naturally attaching themselves to humans and taking to training takes a lot of work and patience.
typically, they are very shy and wary of people they don't know very well, and when they can, they avoid you.
Same goes for wolfdogs running loose. It takes a really good owner/trainer to convince a wolf or high content wolfdog that coming home is in their best interest. They'd rather roam, hunt, explore, and play. So wolfdogs running loose many times stay loose, and because of their tendancy to be dog aggressive, other dogs, or anything that may resemble something to chase or hunt, is at risk.

I agree, all dogs should be leashed while in public. It's whats safest for the dog.

howl4metok
02-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I could be mistaken, but I beleive that while the US does not recognize the wolfdog as a dog breed (the Kennel Club), the UK does. The Czech lines are very common and supposed to be a quality breed. I never knew how common wolfdogs were here until I ended up with one of my own.

Alysser
02-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for that information! I really appreciate it:)

jackie
02-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Wow, thanks for the info howl4metok.
I have seen a few hybrids, but never knew much about them.