PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting a cockatiel

reptiledude
02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
im thinking of getting a cockatiel but i was wondering wut are some problems that u would have to live with when getting one

chrissycat21
02-11-2006, 08:11 AM
If you are looking into getting a cockatiel, make sure you reasearch! They are a commitment, and they can live 20+ years!

I don't like to look at it as problems, I like to look at it as things every cockatiel owner learns to live with. :p

Seed Throwing- Tiels can be very messy. I know Buttons (my tiel) loves to throw seeds, seed hulls, and pellets. You can invest in a seed guard to help keep them in the cage while they are eating. It seems to have helped me a little.

Chewing- Tiels do not have hands, they explore with their beak. Although some will pick things up with their feet, they will still chew on things when they get the chance. Be sure not to leave anything important that can be destroyed by beaks near them! (I've lost plenty of homework assignments that way!)

Sleeping- If you are a really late sleeper, a bird might wake you up in the morning. I have always used a cage cover, and that has helped keep Buttons quiet until everyone is awake.

Pooping- This is what does drive me crazy. Those little guys never seem to empty! It is hard to train (some of) them to go to the bathroom is a specific location. I have tried, and failed. Just don't wear anything that can't be washed while taking them out.

If you really love tiels, all of these are something you can hopefully learn to deal with. Good luck getting one!

Also, could you type out full words and punctuate your sentences, it makes it easier for everyone to read. :)

Please excuse any spelling mistakes, it is still to early for me to be up!

lute
02-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Cockateils are GREAT pets, but they do some things that may be problems for some people.

as chrissycat21 said, teils can live over 20 years. my cockatiel, Lucy, turns 19 this march. he probably still has a few good years left. before buying a teil you have to think if whether your going to be there for the bird that long.

the cockatiel can't stay in his cage all day. teils need outside the cage time a MINIMUM of an hour a day. birds are super smart. they need time out of the cage to strech their wings, explore, etc.

teils can also be preety loud. Lucy starts his whistleing at about 8-9am every morning. it can be hard to sleep through the ear piercing whistles and screams.

i advise you to get some cockateil books and read up on some websites. there is so much to learn about the birds before considering buying one. GOOD LUCK! :D