PDA

View Full Version : Interesting/unique baby names?

ComedyDevil
02-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Have just had a phone call from my friend Tori. I haven't spoken heard from in a long time, since she moved house and we lost contact. Turns out she's 4 months pregnant. :) I'm SO happy for her and her partner, they've been trying for a baby for years, and they thought they were going to have to go through IVF, but she's finally pregnant. They must be SO excited.

Anyway, they're looking at baby names, both male and female, although they're hoping for a little boy. They're both into interesting/weird/unique names, I guess you could describe them as hippies, they like names that are a little more out there, Tori more so than her hubby. He's managed to persuade her that MOONBEAM or SUNSHINE are not great names for a baby, hehe :rolleyes:

Here's some others they have on their list so far:

Boys:

Ryver (river)
Sage
Marley
Kaedyn
Bastien
Croix
Daley

Girls:

Lark
Zoey
Raine
Kaira
Star
Brodie
Charley

Nice, but not the sort of thing I'd name my child. They were asking me for opinions/more suggestions, but like I said, unique names like that are really NOT my forte, so I told them I'd see what the good people at Pet Talk could come up with. Anyone know of any interesting/unique baby names? Ideally ones with meaning behind them?

Thankyou!

Amy :D

Samantha Puppy
02-10-2006, 05:56 PM
A couple things -

1. I'm not big on those types of names either, but please PLEASE tell your friend to stay away from alternate spellings. The child will view his/her name as nothing but a hassle if they have to spell it ALL THE TIME. Take it from me - my name is Jaime. It's ALWAYS misspelled as Jamie. I am constantly spelling it for EVERYONE - for something as important as legal/financial documents to something as insignificant as a waiting list at a restaurant. Their son would get SO tired of going, "No, it's Ryver - R-Y-V-E-R."

2. Also let her know that Sage and Marley are *extremely* popular for girls at the moment and Charley and Brodie is 100% boy, so that will cause the baby issues as well. Not quite as bad, but my brother went to school with a BOY named Shirley and he got *so* much grief.

3. One last thing. I highly suggest giving the child a formal name that can then be shortened to a nickname. Case and point, Charley. If she really loves that name for a little girl, consider naming her Charlotte or Charlene and then calling her Charley for short. Know what I mean? My name is very nickname-y sounding (Jaime) and I *hate* not having a more formal name to use for important occasions, like graduation or when I got married. My wedding invitation said "... request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter, Jaime, to Joshua..." SILLY!! And if their daughter is a professional, it would sound SO much more professional to hear "Dr. Charlotte Smith" as opposed to "Dr. Charley Smith". Know what I mean?

I know not everyone has my taste in names, but I researched a LOT while I was pregnant with Aidan. I used to want to have a baby boy named Brady but after careful consideration, I nixed it... I didn't want him to have a nickname-y name. It's also starting to be used in my area as a girl's name and I didn't want him to have to deal with that. And lengthening it Braden wouldn't have worked either because there are a billion different ways to spell it and I didn't want him to have to go, "No, it's not <insert alternate spelling here - Braeden, Braedin, Bradyn, Bradin, etc.>, it's B-R-A-D-E-N."

Just my two cents...

ComedyDevil
02-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Heh, tell me about it :o :rolleyes: :p Her hubby has already had this discussion re: spelling etc with her.

Like I said, pretty names, but not my cup of tea at all. I have enough hassle with my own name, it's 3 letters long and common as anything and people still have trouble with it. "so, how do you spell it then? is it a-m-i-e, or a-i-m-e-e, or a-m-e-y?" Me: "Uhh, no, it's just a-m-y. Amy." :rolleyes:

Each to their own though, I suppose.

ETA: A boy named SHIRLEY?! Oh dear ... :o :p

CagneyDog
02-10-2006, 06:08 PM
One of our teachers named her son Stirling [Not sure how it was spelt]. It's certainly a unique name. :p

Vette
02-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I think the name Angel for a guy is a funky. but i like it.

i think its said like an-gul.
not really sure though. :o LOL

i wish them luck in name picking. :D

joanofark
02-10-2006, 06:31 PM
haha, I'm reaaaally bad at unique names, lol I've always liked the name Cecilia though, yeah uh I'm no help;)

dogzr#1
02-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't really have any unique names at the moment. I just wanted to say that there is some guy at school whose name is Angel. Nobody has made fun of him or anything. Just make sure that the names don't sound too girly if the baby turns out to be a boy or vice versa.

Felix
02-10-2006, 07:00 PM
My name is unique.... Marlaina...Pronounced Mar-lane-a. Like on Days of our lives :o :p

Karen
02-10-2006, 07:44 PM
We have many "different" names in our family tree, I am one of the few with a common name.

Males:
Axel (my grandfather, now my baby nephew!)
Grandfather's brothers:
Otto
Emil
Gustav
Iver (my brother)
Channing (my other grandfather, uncle, cousin, etc.)
Other great uncles from both sides:
Ovide
Leodore
Tyge - whose given name was Ellery
Two great-grandfather's name:
Prosper

Women:
Aldea (my grandmother, and it's my middle name)
Floride
Flora
Hazel
Great-grandmother's names:
Delima (2 of them)
Ulla
Carolina Wilhelmina

Dawn is a common female name of my generation, but if you think of it as the time of day, it has a hippier, happier connotation.

Giselle
02-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I think the name Angel for a guy is a funky. but i like it.

i think its said like an-gul.
not really sure though. :o LOL

i wish them luck in name picking. :D
I knew a boy named Angel, too. It was pronounced like Ang-hel (like Ahhhng).

I think Giselle is a rather unique name, and, in my opinion, quite a beautiful one at that. It is French and it means "A Promise". Besides that, there's a gorgeous model named Gisele Bundchen, and who can forget the ballet, Giselle? :p For a human child, you can shorten it to Gissie or Ellie. I had to opt for Gissie because Ellie sounds too much like Lucky (my other dog's name).

While I was researching names for Gissie, I also ran into:
Melisande (Honey Bee - I was about to name Gissie this but it was too much for a dog =P)
Lisette (consecrated to God)
Cosette (Victorious people)
Amelie (Industrious, Admiring. I loved the movie)

Some that I just like and seemed kind of out of the ordinary were:
Nicoletta
Petra
Tabitha (means Gazelle in Hebrew)
Serafina/Seraphina (Angel) I once had a close friend named this and we called her Fina for a nickname
Aida (Helper - Latin. It's very popular in certain areas of Africa, and I suppose it's because of the opera, Aida, which was about an African princess I believe...) I knew somebody named Aida (ay-duh), but everybody called her Aidi (eye-dee)
Anais - had to edit to add this one. I really like it!

I have to admit I don't like most of the names they mentioned, but I guess to each his/her own. I'm fine with alternate spellings as long as they aren't overly outrageous. I knew a girl whose name was Bry' Anna and another named T'keyah. That's just pushing it :p

kuhio98
02-10-2006, 08:24 PM
I've always liked the names (for girls):
Schuyler
Shiloh
Laurel
Lauren
Lyric
Serena
Tatianna

Unusual names are great, but I hope they consider a family "normal" name for a middle name. That way when the child grows up, they may opt to use their middle name.

I hope they are not going to name their baby after a fruit or vegetable. (Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter Apple). :rolleyes:

Here is a site they may want to check out. http://www.hippy.com/hippynames.htm

Daisy Jo's Mom
02-10-2006, 08:37 PM
hi...my mom and dad likes unique names...

so my name is NIKKI
and my brother's name is COLTON

those are kind of unique....I haven't heard them very much!!!
I do get tired of spelling my name all the time!

Suki Wingy
02-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I like that list so far but Zoey is a very common name.
I have always liked boy-ish sounding female names or names that could be both sexes.. A few of my favorite girl names are:
Piper
Riley
Charley
Bobbi
Jensen
Ariel
Lindy
My mom's name is Tracey and it's always spelled Tracy, she is ok with it. My stepdad's name is Colby, he's named after a town in Kansas. My sister's name is Lindy, and that really troubles people or they ask if it is short for something, (they stumble and say lindsay) but I don't really care.

Toby's my baby
02-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm HORRIBLE at thinking of names, but here are some:

Guys:
-people i know-
Dallas- my brothers name
Barret- brothers name
Luca- nephew
Briar- ex-boyfriend/ friend- pronounced like the "thorn"
Ridge - friend
Elroy- friend, pronounced el-roy
Landon- distant relative
Kiefer- friend, pronounced key-fur
Thorne-classmate, pronounced "thorn"
Chase-friend
Marshall- ex
Adrian-classmate, pronounced A-dree-an
Ashton-schoolmate
Kalen- schoolmate, pronounced Kay-lyn
Heath-schoomate
Devin-schoolmate
Brody-schoolmate
Chevy-schoolmate
Tyrin-schoolmate, pronounced Tie-rin
Brock-schoolmate
Zane-schoolmate
Dustin-schoolmate
Delray-schoolmate, pronounced Dell-ray

Girls:
-people I know-
Kylie-friend
Kaylani-friend, pronounced Kay-lawn-ee
Rasland- went to my school, pronounced Roz-land
Adelle- schoolmate- pronounced A-dell
Misty- schoolmate
Daylyn- schoolmate, pronounced Day-lin
Syra- schoolmate, pronounced Sigh-ra
Khunsa-schoolmate, pronounced Hun-sa
Destiny- schoolmate
Kember-schoolmate
Kenzie-schoolmate
Matesha-schoolmate, pronounced Ma-tee-sha
Shavanun-schoolmate, pronounced Sha-vaun
Justyne-schoolmate pronounced Just-een
Sadie-schoolmate
Christa-schoolmate
Macy-schoolmate
Ellie-schoolmate
Sabine-schoolmate, pronounced Sa-Bean-Aww
Clara- schoolmate, pronounced claire-aw
Lindy-schoolmate

Thats all I can think of at the moment, hope this helps!! :D

MariaM
02-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I plan to name my one boy Dominic, and my two girls Charlie and Sumatra. Lol yep, thats the plan. I may have 1 girl, 1 boy, 2 boys, 1 girl, or no kids at all. But that is my plan lol.