PDA

View Full Version : My Parents need some good vibes

ramanth
02-10-2006, 10:56 AM
*EDIT* Thanks so much for the good vibes!!

Dad called the well people on Friday and they were out that very same day.

The pump had indeed gone bad but rather than having to dig up the yard, they simply uncapped the well, and sent a device 75 feet down to retrieve the old pump.

They installed the new pump and told my parents to give it 48 hours before they drank any of the water.

Dad said when they first turned on the faucet the water was black from settled sediment. :eek:

The well people said they would bill them (didn't tell them how much it would cost - but dad suspects it won't be more than $800).

Dad asked how long pumps last and they told him 15 years tops. This well was installed over 20 years ago. So we got an additional 5 years or so out of it. Not bad. :)

As for dad's diabetes issue, it's not as severe as I thought. Mom told me he only has to check his blood sugar levels once a week and record it. He's been using his mom's machine as he doesn't have one of his own.

So other than him battling a flu right now, things are getting back to normal. :)

When it rains, it pours...

Since November I knew my dad was losing his job at GM. The plant he works at is closing.

For 300 of the 1,200 that work there, today is their last day.

Lansing Metal Center lays off 300 as it prepares to close this year (http://lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060210/NEWS03/602100326/1150)

Dad is not one of the initial 300 but he knows his time is coming.

After March, he'll have 25 years in at GM and could officially retire. But if the plant fully closes before then, he doesn't know what will happen. They could offer him an early retirement....or not.

Then after doing their taxes they found they owe the IRS.

Then last night, their water went out.

Mom and I discovered it when I tried to do laundry. The water just trickled and then stopped. They have well water so either the pump has gone bad (which would mean costly repairs and the front yard torn up... :eek: ) or if it could just be the regulator (that can be fixed in the house) and wouldn't cost nearly as much. Dad said the regulator looks worn so he wants that replaced anyway.

Plus the furnace needs water to work properly. :(

Prayers for a quick and inexpensive fix.

Mom looked like she was going to have a breakdown. We discussed wedding stuff to get our mind off it, but of course that adds to their stress too.

They both had their annual physicals last month. Dad's been diagnosed with diabetes and mom's had chronic back and shoulder pain that they are having a hard time treating.

I overheard mom ask dad if he checked his blood (sugar) and he said he didn't have time. :mad: :(

I'm so worried about them. :( :(

Cinder & Smoke
02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi God ~

We need some Help down here on the Ole Durt Ball for Miz Kimmy's Mom & Dad!

They're havin a string a Bad Luck an sure would like ta get back to Normal -
Think maybe You kuld Help get a few things Fixed Up fur 'em?

An Please give Kimmy a big {{{God'sHUG}}}, too.

Thanks God!!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Anita Cholaine
02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm really sorry....:( Hope everything starts going better....... ((((hugs)))) Prayers on the way ;)

caseysmom
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Prayers for your parents....and if GM lets your dad go I would think they would HAVE to honor his retirement.

JenBKR
02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
(((hugs))) Lots of prayers coming your way.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Prayers on the way!

I'm sorry to hear they are having such a hard time....

I like to believe when stuff goes wrong all at the same time means something good is gonna happen... Going through the valley means your gonna start up the mountain... :)

moosmom
02-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Kimmy,

I'm sorry to hear about what your Mom and Dad going through that. The not knowing is the hardest. You guys have your own stresses with the wedding plans, plus you're concerned about your parents. You've got tons of thoughts and prayers coming from Connecticut - FIRST CLASS AIRMAIL!! Call me if you want to talk. My cellphone is always on.

((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Donna

Daisy and Delilah
02-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers are on their way to you from Florida!! I sure hope things get better all the way around sweetie!

Ginger's Mom
02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Sorry to hear that everything seems to be happening at once. Thoughts and prayers going out for your parents (and you) that things will turn around soon.

RobiLee
02-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Sending lots of good vibes out to your parents!

I'm sorry that the problems keep piling up on them and I know how worried you must be.

{{{HUGS}}}

lizbud
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Lots of prayers & good vibes from Indy for your Mom & Dad. The auto
industry in the USA is going through so many changes.I am sorry it's
affected your family this way.

Karen
02-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Prayers for your family are on their way. I'd tell your Dad to ask a Union rep NOW about his retirement benefits, and whether he has to work until March 1 or what date, and how to ensure it doesn't get cut out from under him. It's also worth checking what happens to his retirement if GM files bankruptcy, but that's probably putting the cart before the horse.

Uabassoon
02-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I'll keep your parents in my thoughts.

pnance
02-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Good thoughts and prayers coming to you. I'm so sorry to hear about what your family is going through.

krazyaboutkatz
02-11-2006, 12:49 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent their way.

Alysser
02-11-2006, 06:36 AM
I am so sorry you have to go through that. Prayers and good thoughts on the way! :(

poofy
02-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I prayed for your family, I pray the lord undertakes for all your needs..

JOHN 16:24
Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

ramanth
02-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks so much for the good vibes!!

Dad called the well people on Friday and they were out that very same day.

The pump had indeed gone bad but rather than having to dig up the yard, they simply uncapped the well, and sent a device 75 feet down to retrieve the old pump.

They installed the new pump and told my parents to give it 48 hours before they drank any of the water.

Dad said when they first turned on the faucet the water was black from settled sediment. :eek:

The well people said they would bill them (didn't tell them how much it would cost - but dad suspects it won't be more than $800).

Dad asked how long pumps last and they told him 15 years tops. This well was installed over 20 years ago. So we got an additional 5 years or so out of it. Not bad. :)

As for dad's diabetes issue, it's not as severe as I thought. Mom told me he only has to check his blood sugar levels once a week and record it. He's been using his mom's machine as he doesn't have one of his own.

So other than him battling a flu right now, things are getting back to normal. :)

anna_66
02-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Kim I hadn't replied to your thread yet but I did get a chance to see it and was keeping your folks in my prayers.
I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for them now and getting back to normal:)

cyber-sibes
02-13-2006, 10:14 AM
The pump had indeed gone bad but rather than having to dig up the yard, they simply uncapped the well, and sent a device 75 feet down to retrieve the old pump.(
that's good news - ours went out the day after I finished spreading seed over the trench they dug when the new spetic got put in. Only it was't just the pump, the well had run dry, too. :rolleyes: We didn't have water for weeks, but a few *thousand* :eek: bucks later, we got a new well. Glad your parents didn't have to go through that!!! Also glad to hear things are improving for them. Will continue to send good vibes :)

RobiLee
02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Glad to hear that the good vibes seem to be helping out a bit. I will continue to think of your parents and wish them well.