PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard at Local Zoo

jennifert
04-15-2002, 01:14 PM
This happened over the weekend at the local zoo. Looking at all the pics of the Big Cats reminded me and I thought I would share.

Cuts Require 500 Stitches
Boy rests at home after zoo incident

April 14, 2002

By Pam Greene
Staff writer

An 11-year-old Syracuse boy injured Friday by a snow leopard at Rosamond Gifford Zoo at Burnet Park went through 12 hours of treatment and received more than 500 stitches before he was released from University Hospital.

At 6 a.m. Saturday, Eric River's parents - Terry Wells and Anthony River - brought the boy back to their home at 416 Elliott St., where he spent the day resting and allowing the 10 deep cuts on his face, neck and hand to begin healing.

Eric River was hurt after he and three of his friends sneaked into the zoo about 6:30 p.m. Friday, two hours after it closed. They first encountered an 8-foot-tall chain-link fence with barbed wire on it guarding the zoo's perimeter.

They found a section where the barbed wire was missing, said Quandell Mitchell, 11, one of the boys with River. The boys hopped the fence, ran several yards to a second 8-foot-tall chain-link fence and squeezed through a gap, Mitchell said.

Then they climbed over a 4-foot-tall wooden fence, 10 feet from the leopard cage, that marks the spot from which the public can view Oggan, the 85-pound, 10-year-old snow leopard. The boys went up to the cage, which is covered with mesh. The mesh has 4-by-3-inch rectangular gaps between the wires.

Oggan seemed friendly, rubbing up and down the cage, Mitchell said. River bent down to pet the leopard, found a piece of meat outside the cage and tossed it in.

Oggan then stuck his paw through the gap in the mesh and grabbed River by the neck and shirt, Mitchell said. The other boys ran to the cage to pull him away. As River fought to get loose, he became more entangled with the cat, Mitchell said. After a few seconds, the boys pulled River away from Oggan and ran to get help from a neighbor, Mitchell said.

"When I woke up this morning, I didn't think it had really happened," Mitchell said.

Wells said her son, a fourth-grader at Bellevue Elementary School, had sneaked into the zoo after hours once before.

"I know he shouldn't have been there, and he knows he was wrong," she said. "Eric is miserable."

Anthony River said his son probably didn't realize the severity of what could happen, adding that the parents intend to get the boy counseling.

"Boys are going to be boys," he said. "They're going to get in trouble without understanding the consequences. ... "

Family members said they think there should be more than one night guard protecting the 36-acre site.

Anne Baker, the director of the zoo, opted not to press criminal charges against the boy, said Syracuse police Lt. Joe Cecile.

Baker said she feels sorry for the injured boy but thinks his actions were inappropriate.

"If the boys hadn't been trespassing and hadn't been where they weren't supposed to be, none of this would have happened," Baker said.

"He had to go through some effort (to get to the cage)," she said. "They didn't just wander up to the snow leopard fence. These are wild animals, and you have to know what you're doing and treat them with respect."

The zoo is safe and meets all safety regulations, she said. Adding a thicker mesh to the cage would only obstruct the view of the animals, she said. There is no talk of putting Oggan to sleep, she said.

© 2002 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

aly
04-15-2002, 01:26 PM
UGH!!!!!

I actually blame the boy's parents more than the young boys themselves. They better NOT put Oggan to sleep for the irresponsibility of young boys and thier parents.

Having just visited the cat sanctuary, I got to see up close how friendly looking they really are. BUT we also got to see a picture of a woman's arm who had been mauled by a tiger. It was not pretty. It is tempting to want to touch them, but common sense should tell us not to trust wild animals' nature. This is where the parents should come in... ESPECIALLY since the boy had snuck into the zoo before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luckies4me
04-15-2002, 02:08 PM
:mad: They better not put him to sleep or I will be extremely POd. I feel sorry for the kid but if he hadn't been so stupid and his parents would have been taking care of their son like they should have this never would have happened. Stupid kids. Working with rescued big cats (I own an exotic animal rescue and wildlife rehab center) I know first hand the power these cats can hold. I have never been around a snow leopard but our lynx and bobcat are very powerful and they are three times smaller than a snow leopard. :eek: Sad story. Poor cat. He was probably reaching for the food and got the boy instead and fear initiates a predator response in big cats and so he must have started biting and stuff. :confused: So so so so sad.

aly
04-15-2002, 02:18 PM
The guides at the International Exotic Feline Sanctuary yesterday told us that a lot of big cats tend to not like the people who feed them because they view them as being between them and their food, rather than giving them the food.

aly
04-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Working with rescued big cats (I own an exotic animal rescue and wildlife rehab center) I know first hand the power these cats can hold.

Wow, do you have pictures of your center or big cats?? That would be so interesting to see!

Former User
04-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by aly

Wow, do you have pictures of your center or big cats?? That would be so interesting to see!

We went to the Zoo in Antwerpen (here in Belgium) about a year ago and got few pics of big cats too, but also from little ones. And from a little monkey wearing a diaper, that was so cute! If any intrest, I can post.

aly
04-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Hehehe, yes post them! Especially the diaper wearing monkey :D

Former User
04-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Here's that little cutie in his/her diapers! Just look at that little face! Adorable!

Former User
04-15-2002, 03:05 PM
Here are those little ones....

Former User
04-15-2002, 03:06 PM
another one....

Former User
04-15-2002, 03:07 PM
and the last one...Don't know if you can see it, but this one was carrying a stick in his mouth:D

aly
04-15-2002, 03:19 PM
AWWWWW!!!!!!! Very cute pics!

Former User
04-15-2002, 03:28 PM
Forgat...here's the bigger one!

Former User
04-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by SpencerTheLion
Yesterday, the guide at IEFS said the reason children under seven years were not allowed was not because they might take chances (another good reason!) It was because the big cats viewed little humans as snacks :eek:

And why is that a problem since those big cats are in cages anyway? Here in the Zoo everyone is welcome, and you get to see the animals really close! If anyone ever comes to Belgium check that Zoo out, it's worth it!