PDA

View Full Version : Wiccan

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Just bought the Idiots Guide to Wiccan and Witchcraft out of curiosity - its fascinating......anyone else interested in this way of thinking?

JenBKR
02-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I don't know much about it at all personally. But I would be curious to hear what others have to say.

ramanth
02-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Si Seniorita. *laughs*

Been a mildly practicing Pagan since college. :) Used to belong to a coven, but we decided to go seperate ways.

I don't do a lot of spells, but I sit outside a lot and meditate of sorts, commune with the energies around me and 'scrub' my home. (scrubbing by burning sage around the doors and windows to cleanse and purify the mind, body, and soul.)

Sounds like a neat book. I have tons on my bookshelves.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Re: burning sage.

Kimmy, I had no idea that was a pagan ritual. We bought some sage when were in the Black Hills from an Indian. She said it was an Indian ritual to burn sage to rid the home of evil spirits so the good spirits were more welcome (or something to that effect). Sounds real similar to your "scrubbing." Unfortunately, the burnt end of the sage kept getting black smudge all over everything so we threw it away. Hmmm....wonder what the spirits thought of that? :eek:

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
What I find fascinating is that although some people may laugh at these ideas they will still blow out candles on a cake to make a wish on their birthday (for example) - most "superstitions" appear to come from ancient rituals!

ramanth
02-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Re: burning sage.

Kimmy, I had no idea that was a pagan ritual. We bought some sage when were in the Black Hills from an Indian. She said it was an Indian ritual to burn sage to rid the home of evil spirits so the good spirits were more welcome (or something to that effect). Sounds real similar to your "scrubbing." Unfortunately, the burnt end of the sage kept getting black smudge all over everything so we threw it away. Hmmm....wonder what the spirits thought of that? :eek:
I have some Native American in me too. ;)

A lot of rituals I find are similar and overlap. :) I know many who are just 'spiritual' with no ties to any specific religion that burn sage. Ironically, white sage smells kinda like marijuana and Andy wanted to know what the heck was going on when he came over one day. *laughs*

Lobodeb
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM
I had tried it a while back. I cast a few spells and they all came back to bite me. I've always been curious about it and would entertain doing it again, maybe with a little guidance, this time?

cocker_luva
02-09-2006, 01:16 PM
i am alittle, some of my friends practice it.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-17-2006, 05:16 PM
The more I look into this the more sense it all makes to me so instead of prayers you may notice that I will be sending positive thoughts to anyone who asks - will all be sent with my love and genuine hope that things work out for you in your time of need

BC_MoM
02-17-2006, 06:20 PM
It's against my religion to study or read about anything Pagan, Wiccan, etc.

I can be aware of it, but take no interest.

Addie
02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I am a wiccan, so i don't have a religion, and i wouldn't have a religion even if I weren't a wiccan because it limits you to do things you like, but i used to study witchcraft...its really quite fascinating. My friends and I had a real strong intrest in it...but now its just me and my friend Ivy...we are both wiccans...so its kinda in us...but my other friends have a religion, and no offense, but they are really boring now and we never hang out anymore because of their youth groups and church and bible study...i think its rediculous cause we used to hang out all the time...oh well...but some of the spells that we tried didn't work unless we pricked our fingers or whatever...i have a few scars..lol...its fun to do and something you really get into. We used to use those boards to talk to the dead with my friends sister...shes kinda creepy...she does it every friday...but we did sayonces(sp??) its something you can get stuck on and its like an addiction, only good...lol

Suki Wingy
02-18-2006, 01:33 PM
It's interesting and I can actually tolerate it! :) I'm not religious and it kind of gets on my nerves when people feel they need to tell me about their god and how he's the greatest and everything.

Pawsitive Thinking
02-20-2006, 05:26 AM

If only others could take such a tolerate view - wouldn't the world be a better place?

CathyBogart
02-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I am a wiccan, so i don't have a religion,
Um, but Wicca IS a religion. :confused: :confused:

I've been pagan for many years, but I decided a few years ago that Wicca wasn't for me. :) I'm still a practicing pagan though.

Maresche
02-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Another Wiccan over here.

JenBKR
02-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Me too. I'm always interested in learning about what others believe though.

Addie
03-25-2006, 04:00 PM
It's interesting and I can actually tolerate it! :) I'm not religious and it kind of gets on my nerves when people feel they need to tell me about their god and how he's the greatest and everything.
I know how you feel...my TEACHER started talking about it today, I walked out of the class room and she gave me a detention...oh well...

Addie
03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Um, but Wicca IS a religion. :confused: :confused:

I've been pagan for many years, but I decided a few years ago that Wicca wasn't for me. :) I'm still a practicing pagan though.

well, not really, like I don't believe in god and stuff, so thats what I call a religion. I like to think of Wicca as a hobby, because then you don't have so many limitations on what you are doing.

Prairie Purrs
03-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Wicca is indeed a religion. Not all religions are monotheistic. Some--such as Buddhism--don't incorporate a belief in any god.

Calling Wicca a "hobby" is rather insulting to those of us who practice it as a religion. And there certainly is a limitation under Wicca--to "harm none." I'd recommend doing some more reading.