PDA

View Full Version : A Change for Me

Karen
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
This week I unexpectedly lost my 4-day-a-week job. I am okay, not to worry, and I will let you all know when I figure out what is next.

I just wanted to let my Pet Talk family know.

Miss Hoppy is a bit confused by my being home during the day, but appreciates the extra petting.

Uabassoon
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
(((hugs))) I'm sorry to hear this :( I'm sure Miss Hoppy will work extra hard to make sure your time at home is well spent.

sandragonfly
02-08-2006, 11:17 PM
yeah I heard that yesterday morning, was surprised. I'm sorry. :(

at least more books to finish for now & our little dear miss hoppy gets more attention, especially raisins from you! that must be one of reasons why that door closed. :D

thoughtful hugs to both :)

slick
02-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Karen. Remember, when one door closes, another one opens. Maybe this is a sign for you to relax a bit before starting the next job search. Prayers coming from Canada.

pnance
02-08-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about this. But I'm sure you'll find something even better when your ready. For now enjoy spending some extra time with Miss Hoppy and relaxing for a bit.

luvofallhorses
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I am so sorry..:( ((hugs))

K9karen
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
On the bright side, you can spend more time on PT! :D and playing with Miss Hoppy, like you said. I know it's always kind of distressing to lose a job. Hoping something comes along that you'll enjoy. Chill out while you can!

kimboe
02-08-2006, 11:28 PM
I agree with slick
Remember, when one door closes, another one opens.
I think it's very true, and wish you the best! :)

dukedogsmom
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry to hear that, Karen. I hope you find something better than you had. And, may we now please have a photo thread of Miss Hoppy?

Karen
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
I had worked at that job, starting part-time, almost 17 years ago, and had been full-time for about 10 years. When I started, the magazine was just inside the Boston area, and didn't even have a website. It is now a national publication, with a website that draws visitors from all over the world.

A photo thread of Miss Hoppy depends on HER cooperating. Sigh. I will try - if she cooperates, I'll post the results!

shais_mom
02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
sorry to hear that Karen -
will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Karen, I'm sorry to hear this :(. Hopefully you'll be able to find a better job soon. For now though, just sit back and relax.

Cinder & Smoke
02-09-2006, 12:10 AM
When I started, the magazine was just inside the Boston area,
and didn't even have a website.

It is now a national publication,
with a website that draws visitors from all over the world.

Well, shame on 'em ~ It's Their Loss! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/tongue.gif

Need a Reference?
I bet we could come up with a couple thousand pretty good ones!

Promise that you'll let us know if there's ANYthing that we can do to help.

Best of luck and BIG {{{Hugs}}}!!

/s/ Phred & the FurKids
;)

ktreva52
02-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Major bummer, Karen. What WERE they thinking??? 17 years and they show you the door??? Crap! (sorry for the younger folks) Well, girl, do what I'm doing, start working for yourself! If they don't want to play with you, get your own gig going and to heck with them. What did you do at the magazine? I don't think I ever knew.

Hugs to you and Miss Hoppy! If we can help at all, let us know. Prayers for you.

Chris

Ally Cat's Mommy
02-09-2006, 02:57 AM
How awful! I really hope a wonderful new opportunity presents itself to you very soon!

Will be keeing you in my thoughts and prayers.

Barbara
02-09-2006, 03:04 AM
I am so sorry. After 17 years! They will lose so much experience and continuity!

I am sure that for you it will be a new start- maybe not just this weekedn, but later. :)

Killearn Kitties
02-09-2006, 03:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Karen. That's a shock after 17 years, and it will take a while to adjust to it. Give yourself the time. I hope lots of options present themselves soon!

chocolatepuppy
02-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Sorry to hear this Karen. Good luck in whatever comes your way next! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Sorry to hear your news Karen - its their loss and our gain!!

Sending you positive vibes for when you start job hunting

jenluckenbach
02-09-2006, 05:12 AM
How awful. :( Best of luck in your next venture.

vinjashira
02-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Sorry to hear that Karen

Perhaps it's time for you to start your own Magazine?

Randi
02-09-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm sorry to hear you lost your job, Karen. :( Hopefully, a new opportunity will arise soon, in a job just as interesting. You could also consider to start on your own, or freelance. With your skills, it should be possible. :)

All the best of luck!! Fister sends headbumpies.

catnapper
02-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Karen, I am so very sorry! You definately have the talent to strike out on your own and show them a thing or two!

Daisy and Delilah
02-09-2006, 07:45 AM
I have to agree with others that have said it's their loss and what were they thinking? A person like you will always excel Karen. There's no doubt about it. You and Miss Hoppy just sit back, relax, and wait for your new and better life to begin. (((((HUGS)))))
p.s. Daisy is as cooperative as Miss Hoppy with the picture taking I see ;)

JenBKR
02-09-2006, 08:13 AM
(((hugs))) so sorry to hear that - everything happens for a reason so maybe something even better is right around the corner! Good luck!

anna_66
02-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Wow what a shocker. I bet you were stunned, I know I would be. Places just don't care about their workers like they used to....it's really a shame.
And like someone else said...It's their loss for sure.

I hope that you'll find something else you like doing even better:)

furrykidsmother
02-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Karen I am so sorry to hear this, but maybe there is something even better ahead for you.

Meanwhile, I am sure Miss Hoppy is very happy to have the extra time with you.

beeniesmom
02-09-2006, 08:53 AM
:( sorry about the bad news.
You will find a better job soon!
Hugs to you, Paul and Ms. Hoppy!

Logan
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I guess at one time or another, we all go through this, but I HATE to hear it, Karen. Something better must be out there waiting for you!!!!! Keep your chin up! :)

Pawsitive Thinking
02-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Perhaps it's time for you to start your own Magazine?

Pet Talk Monthly anyone?

moosmom
02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Karen,

That truly sucks!! I'm so sorry. I know something better will come along. In the meantime, enjoy the time you have with Miss Hoppy and hubby. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

((((((HUGS)))))))

Donna and furkids
Oh yeah, and the bald dude too!! ;)

ramanth
02-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hope something new comes along.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Pet Talk Monthly anyone?
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Sorry to hear this, Karen, but like others have said, when one door closes another opens. Oftentimes people say they are much happier and wish they had been let go years ago! Although after 17 years, I can see how it's going to be tough to adjust to not going to work everyday.

Corinna
02-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Hey howabout starting your own mag. How about a pet talk one we could send stories some could do helth tips . I'd buy a subscribtion.

BC_MoM
02-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, I bet that was a little disappointing! Glad to hear you're not too upset about it. :)

Corinna, that would be so awesome!! :D

Ginger's Mom
02-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Wow, 17 years! Yes, that really will be an adjustment. But I am sure that it happened so that you would be available to take advantage of something wonderful that is heading your way. {{{Hugs}}}

poofy
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Glad your doing ok with it, and hopefully another better door will open soon, enjoy your time at home... :)

lv4dogs
02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Karen. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure something will come along.

lvpets2002
02-09-2006, 12:31 PM
:( So Sorry to hear of the change & on the other hand change can always be good.. (((( HUGS )))) from me & the girls.. :)

Russian Blue
02-09-2006, 01:18 PM
I actually handed in my resignation at work last Friday. Too toxic and mentally draining for me.:( If you have any exciting employment opportunities, let me know. I'm looking for my next great adventure (I can hear all the doors opening now).

In the meantime, savour the moment with furryness (bunny,cat, dog or otherwise).

;)

Jadapit
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I bet something even better comes along for you. :)

koxka
02-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's must be a shock after 17 years! :(
Glad you are doing ok. :)

Karen
02-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks, everyone. Thankfully my self-worth has never been tied to my employment situation, unlike some people I know.

lizbud
02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks, everyone. Thankfully my self-worth has never been tied to my employment situation, unlike some people I know.

Oooh, sounds interesting. Dare I ask? :D

I hope you run into a wonderful position that's even better than the last. :D

zippy-kat
02-09-2006, 07:06 PM
So, sorry to hear this news. :( The magazine has lost a great talent but you've gained a new adventure! I just know you'll succeed in whatever you put your mind to.

Good luck in your new endeavors.

DJFyrewolf36
02-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Hugs and prayers on the way. Hopefully you'll find something even better!

AbbyMom
02-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Good luck to you, Karen. Both my hubby and myself have survived layoffs...and you know...it always worked out for the better.

Alysser
02-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Karen. At least Miss Hoppy is happy. I hope you get a job really soon!

LoudLou
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, bummer about the job. I know how hard it is to leave after many years in one place. Ever Forward as my hubby says! Onward to your next great adventure!

gini
02-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Gosh, Karen, I really am sorry about the turn of events for you. I can't help feel that maybe Miss Hoppy had something to do with it.

I hope you will take this enforced vacation seriously - and relax, cook, bake, play with Miss Hoppy, or whatever makes you happy, while you mull over your opportunities and formulate a new plan.

Starting your own business can have its insecure moments - but on the other hand it can be so rewarding. Not sure what you might like to do - but you know that all of us would be behind you 100%.

Is it possible for you to offer your services as a consultant in computer training in specific programs that you have perfected? Or maybe even put on some seminars? Just some random thoughts.

Keep us posted - and I hope you don't spend any time feeling down - been there - done that - and it is a waste of time.

Karen
02-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Nope, Gini, haven't spent any time feeling down. I am one of those people who doesn't take this kind of thing personally. And we'll figure something out, I've been busy this week catching up on other work.

gini
02-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear that, Karen. But it means you will be checking on all of us more often and we won't be able to run amuk!! :D :D

Zippie - where are you?

zippy-kat
02-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Glad to hear that, Karen. But it means you will be checking on all of us more often and we won't be able to run amuk!! :D :D

Zippie - where are you?

*snicker*

I'm hiding; it's too tempting and too close to my burstday to be running amuck. ;) lol

Karen
02-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Zippy, you can't really hide, I'd just tell Sara to "go find Tonya!" and I bet she'd lead us right to ya! That's if following the trail a grey and white kitty fur didn't give you away first!