PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours cat need advice!! HELP ASAP

Jods
02-07-2006, 05:16 PM
First of all I have to say the last few months have been HELL!! We thought one of our cats was peeing in the house spraying actually on our coats so after lots of thought we decided we have to re-home them we tried everything and can't get rid of the smell and we don't want our new baby getting it on her. Well I toyed with the thought in my ming for the past few months and really didn't want to get rid of them and this was just one of the behaviours on a long list of horrible things they have been doing including chewing all our cords to the phone, tv, game systems computer headphones EVERYTHING is ruined. Anyways back to the peeing tonight I ran home and we had locked the cats in the bathroom when we left czuse we just bought a new PC and were scared they'd chew the wires while we were out until we found a solution anyways when I got home I smelled cat spray everywhere I couldn't get how since I had out them in the bathroom while I went out I went in the bathroom and seached for spray marks with the flashlight got down on my knees and smelt everything and still couldn't find it I left the bathroom and realized it was all over my hand so I tried to figure out other then the flashlight what did I touch, I look at my two cats and they were both smelling my keys frantically and realize its the cat that sits on my doorstep he must have sprayed on my door whenever we come in the house we touch it with our hands then take off our jackets!!! :mad: :mad:
So my questions are
1: How do we get rid of the smell on the door?
2. HOw do we make sure our cats will not start now since they smelled my keys and our coats with the smell on it?
3 and how do I get them to stop chewing cords?? If they don't stop my husband will get rid of them and I have to say we can't live with everyhitng in our house being ruined PLEASE HELP!!!!

Uabassoon
02-07-2006, 05:19 PM
I wish I had some advice on the spraying, but I really don't know much about that. However for the cords I suggest some bitter apple. Alexa's cats chewed every cord in the house until we sprayed that on all of them.

Craftlady
02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
You can get cord covers (look like long tubes) that are used to insulate water pipes. Also, tie the cords up and tape them against the desk, t.v. cabinet/entertainment center.
We've never had trouble with cords at our house by just taking the time to make it not so fun/available to the cats.

Once smell is out of coats from laundry or drycleaner they wont smell the odor. Keys wipe them off with a cleaner (Mr Clean).
Door, I'd clean it with Mr Clean something like that type of product.

Karen
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
The cat that is sraying is probably an unneutered male, so is marking "his" territory. Clean everything with "Nature's Miracle" or some other product that you can buy a pet stores that specifically gets rid of not only the odor, but the enzyme that makes cats think - "Oooh - good spot to pee!"

Any chance finding out who owns him and asking them to get him "fixed," and explain the situation?

About the cords - we of course have Miss Hoppy, the sweetest, cutest, feistiest bunny ever - who is also an adamant chewer of any cords she can find. In her mind, the space along the bottoms of walls is a rabbit freeway, and should be cleared of any obstructions. So we got some of the 1" plastic tubing cheap at Home Depot, and covered any cords we couldn't hide with that. It's big enough so that she cannot open her mouth wide enough to chomp through it. Some cords just run through a paper towel tube - cheaper alternative.

Bitter apple works for some animals, but not others. Some critters (canine, feline, lagomorph) like the taste, and are not detered.

Some cats can be trained away from cord chewing with a spray bottle, but you have to alert and consistent. (Again, some cats LIKE getting sprayed with water ...)

catmandu
02-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Can you discreetlt have that Cat TNRed?That will also cut down on Unwanted Kittens.
I have those wires all bundled up too,as Little Teeth were chewing.
As for Spraying I have found Lysol to be good.I have a squeeze bottle of a Odor Neutralizer but will have to find it,to give you the name,its 3 Dollars for a good sized Bottle.
Good Luck with that Sprayer.

Jods
02-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone I debated on whether or not to talk to his owner yes hes not fixed as I can see that hes not, he jumps on our car when were driving up the driveway :eek: He will not leave our door alone you'd think he lived with us and not her. Everytime we open our door he comes running from somewhere and bolts in our house and up the stairs. In the summer he was stuck up a tree and howling and the girl said just leave him there he hates me anyways so I climbed up the dumb tree pregnant to save the thing! Anyways she just had her son taken away by childrens aid so I doubt she'll fix him I always hear her yelling through the walls that she has no money. Anyways tahnks for the advice I will try it I'm so scared my cats will start I really don't wanna get rid of them :(

Craftlady
02-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Any programs around your area for free or low cost spaying/neutering?

Catty1
02-07-2006, 09:16 PM
First - I have heard that that Nature's Miracle is great stuff. It gets rid of the enzymes that cause the odor. Or ask your vet what they use.

Second - I think that the plastic tubing for the wires is a great idea! THEN spray them with bitter apple (cats also hate the smell of vinegar - my mom used a small patch of cloth soaked with it to train her cat away from dragging all her pencils, etc, out of a pencil holder).

That poor cat from next door - maybe try to find a low cost spay-neuter place. And maybe animal services should know about this?

Would some neighbours chip in on the neutering?

Good luck! Don't give up - something will work out.

Jods
02-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I don't have the money to help her neuter him I have a cat to get fixed myself this month since he is 6 months and a new baby who spends all our money ;) I will probably talk to our landlord or a fixed for life foundation we have in our area. We'll see I just haven;t got the time for my own pets right now due to the new baby let alone this ladys poor cat. I feel bad for him too but my own come first and I;ve come to realize this these past few months. I used to help all the cats out and I wish I still could I just can't at this point in my life. I've decided I will talk to the girl who owns him she might re-home him if I speak up since I know she doesn't care. I will keep you all updated. Thank you

I will try the bitter apple and the tubing for the wires. thanks

Catty1
02-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Gary from Catmandu is in Ontario - if he is anywhere near you, he might know of a fostering place.

In Calgary, there is the Meow Foundation. I don't know what there is in ON, but your Humane Society likely does.

hugs
C

lv4dogs
02-08-2006, 08:18 AM
My mom told me about a hint she read in a magazine (can't find it on the net anywhere but it does work, I have done it). When I first moved into my trailer there was a stray cat that was marking my door, porch & shed.
Take liquid fabric softner and dilute it with water (I can not remember how diluted it has to be though, this was a couple years ago) and spray it around your house where the cat(s) mark. I just used cheap fabric softner I think it was about half water half softner (maybe just a little more softner?)
Not only did it remove the odors but it repelled the cat as well.

ratchet22
02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
The cat that is sraying is probably an unneutered male, so is marking "his" territory. Clean everything with "Nature's Miracle" or some other product that you can buy a pet stores that specifically gets rid of not only the odor, but the enzyme that makes cats think - "Oooh - good spot to pee!"
.)

I AGREE THIS PRODUCT WORKS, AND THEN AFTER THAT USE A PRODUCT CALLED FELIWAY, BUT YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT THE PEE AREA IS COMPLETLY CLEAN!

jazzcat
02-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Take liquid fabric softner and dilute it with water (I can not remember how diluted it has to be though, this was a couple years ago) and spray it around your house where the cat(s) mark. I just used cheap fabric softner I think it was about half water half softner (maybe just a little more softner?)
Not only did it remove the odors but it repelled the cat as well.
Yes, yes, yes!!! I've been using that for the past several years to stop the neighbors cats from spraying my doors. It really does work.

First make sure you clean the area very well. I used to use Natures Miracle but I've discovered that Mr. Clean does just as well when followed up with the fabric softener. Once the sprayed area is clean then take the fabric softener diluted with water and spray it all over. I use Downy and don't use specific measurements, just enough water to make it runny enough to spray out the the spray bottle well. I've used it all around my front porch, garage door and deck/deck doors. It works!

Also, once you've cleaned your door knobs, keys, coats anything inside that you might have touched and spread the pee smell then try Feliway to help calm your cats from wanting to mark again.