PDA

View Full Version : What is your reading style??

joanofark
02-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I thought this would be a fun thread! First, I started with a poll just to see if anyone accually likes reading, lol.:)

So how, where, when do you like reading?

I like reading in bed, in a car (Some people don't like it, but I think it's comfortable), or out side in the spring or summer. I also HATE it when everything is completely silent, some people say they like it that way but it bothers me. BUT, I hate it when people are talking while I'm reading--I get the words they are saying and the words in the book mixed up. ;) SO, I like reading with music. And I don't really like it quiet either. I love the stereo or headphones BLASTING:D. It helps me focus, lol.:p

So what about you??

Karen
02-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I love reading. I read voraciously, and am omnivorous about what I read. I can read in silence or with music or noise playing, or people talking. I can read any time, anywhere, yes - even in moving vehicles. Inside, oustide, day, night - it doesn't matter!

furrykidsmother
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
I love to read, I just don't find as much time to as I would like. Like Karen, I don't mind if it is quiet or music or people talking, I get involved in my book and don't even notice what is going on around me.

JenBKR
02-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Oh yes I love to read - always have. I can't read in a moving vehicle though, that makes me sick. I can usually read when there's noise and silence. I am usually able to tune everything out, although sometimes I have trouble when hubby's watching tv. Not ususlly though.

Logan
02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I love to read, too. I am making a diligent effort to do it more often this year. Since I got married, 3 years ago, I read less and I have found that I miss it! I have so much catching up to do!

Right now, I'm deep into the 4th Harry Potter book. It is LONG, but I'm enjoying it!

Logan

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-07-2006, 10:24 AM
My husband and I, we both LOVE reading! We buy lots of books, that is why we have a complete wall of books. We call it our library ;)

you can see it on the background of this pic (with Mario, me, and Inka)
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/inka%20june7.jpg

Here you see Sydney (RB) on one of the topshelfs
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/sydney%20in%20bib%202.jpg

Daisy and Delilah
02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
I must be reading all the time. No matter what it is, I read it! Good thing I work at the library ;)

Suki Wingy
02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I read in bed, but usually nonfiction books, dog breed standards, and magazenes. IF I find a fiction story I like, I read it several times because it is so rare.

Miss Z
02-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Yep, i read lots of stuff. My favourite book is the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, it's such a clever and well-thought out book. But i read a lot else:)

Anita Cholaine
02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I used to read a lot, and I love it. I don't know what happened to me lately, but haven't read a book in a while :o I really need to find a good book and start reading again...

lv4dogs
02-07-2006, 11:38 AM
I voted yes because I do love to read. However my schedule doesn't allow as much reading time as I'd like. :rolleyes:

lady_zana
02-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I LOVE to read! In fact, I'd be ashamed to tell you how many books are sitting on my nightstand right now. :p I'm not one to read one book, start another....I can read quite a few books at the same time and not get confused.

Our library had a big book sale the other day and on the last day it was "Bag Sale" meaning you could put as many books as would fit in a paper bag and the whole bag was only $2.00! I got seven bags of books! :eek: :p It was great because I have at least a hundred (probably more) new books (new to me, actually used books) and the library earned a lot of money. It was a win-win situation. :)

BC_MoM
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I love reading! I've loved it ever since I was little.

Right now I'm reading Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.

Edwina's Secretary
02-07-2006, 01:14 PM
I cannot sleep at night unless I read. I read on airplanes, in cars (except when I am driving) on trains, at parties, at the dinner table. I once read while having surgery on my foot.

It is my traquillizer. If I can read I can tolerate most anything. I do prefer silence when I am reading but can read in crowds such as airports. If there is music I prefer very soft, non-vocal.

pitc9
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I have the attention span of a house fly; I can't even read a magazine article I'm interested in without getting annoyed! :o :D

CountryWolf07
02-07-2006, 03:08 PM
I read three Nicholas Sparks books in a row - The Guardian, The Rescue, and I just finished Nights in Rodathe.. AMAZING books! :)

joanofark
02-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Wow, only one person who doesn't like reading;)...

I'm reading "Prince Caspian" from the Chronicals of Narnia books. I'm Soooooo addicted to them!!:D

.sarah
02-07-2006, 04:52 PM
I have reading comprehension problems so reading can be very hard. Simple things like a message board are easy, unless if it's a "book-like" post. Books and articles can be hard for me to really understand unless if I read it several times, and very slowly.

Kfamr
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Very rarely. The book has to REALLY catch my interest.

I got Marley & Me in the mail the other day but have not started it. When I do read I like to crawl into bed with the pups... I think i'll do that right now. ;)

zippy-kat
02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I love reading. I read voraciously, and am omnivorous about what I read. I can read in silence or with music or noise playing, or people talking. I can read any time, anywhere, yes - even in moving vehicles. Inside, oustide, day, night - it doesn't matter!

A train! A train! Could you, would you, on a train? ... Could you, would you with a goat? ... Would you, could you, on a boat?

Sorry, had a Sam-I-Am moment. ;)

I love, love, love to read! I'll read pretty much anything anywhere though I'm not really into sci-fi stuff. (Oh! But not in a car - I get car sick if I read then.)

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Sometimes. I very rarely read anything that doesn't have to do with dogs though, I find that books without a dog in it are really boring.

IRescue452
02-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Usually I read in bed with the tv on for background noise. I like to go from start to finish in one sitting even if I'm up until 3 in the morning.

Karen
02-07-2006, 05:46 PM
A train! A train! Could you, would you, on a train? ... Could you, would you with a goat? ... Would you, could you, on a boat?

Sorry, had a Sam-I-Am moment. ;)

I love, love, love to read! I'll read pretty much anything anywhere though I'm not really into sci-fi stuff. (Oh! But not in a car - I get car sick if I read then.)

I would read on a train
I can read in the rain
Though with an umbrella,
Whether black or blue or yeller

I can read in the car
Or by the light of a bright star
I can read on a bus
Without any muss or fuss

I can read a rhyme or rap
When you're settling down to nap
And I can read to you at night
When you're in bed, tucked in tight

I can read to you, to him, or just to myself
Have books on my desk, my bureau and my shelf
Books in boxes, books to give to a freind
But I'd better stop now, or this rhyme'll never end!

neko1
02-07-2006, 05:57 PM
I love reading! I've just gotten back into it after not really reading much for awhile. Books, magazines, you name it!

I need to really read a good book in silence,but can browse through a magazine with the tv on. Reading in the car/plane..etc will make me puke..I can't even look at other people who are reading in a car!! YUK. (yeah for motion-sickness)

RICHARD
02-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Since the Mayor stopped rhyming books
I thought that I would take a look!
Of books it's almost way too easy.
it can be science, facts or mystery!

History, Horror or a bit o'wit...
In my hands, any book will fit!
Hardback, softback, a magazine?
Adult books? or a book for teens!

I absorb the pages in no time
If I have no book, I start to whine.
A book can take me around the world.
Climbing mountains, a search for pearls?

A rocket ship too the moon?
A mystery solved, way too soon!
A life story in 400 pages?
or a historical tome for the ages?

I inhale a few books during the week.
It keeps my mind runnning sleek.
Reading does have one drawback.
it floods my mind with trivial facts.

The longest river on the earth.
The location on a map, the town of Perth!
The first earth man to step on the moon.
or to keep and egg from exploding the room! ;) :p

I really just try to read.
to fill my mind, my brain to feed!
It's all done in very small stages-
While I move along that book's pages!

So take a little tip from me..
and check out a bibliography.
It starts with the cover and then you're hooked.
That is the magic of any good book.

Vette
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I used to read a LOT. but now i rarely read anything thats not on my computer screen. :o

Alysser
02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
OMG! Reading is my life. I read at least 30 minutes every night. My favorite book of all time will ALWAYS be the Call Of The Wild.

captain
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
RICHARD and KAREN!!!!

You two have talent!!!
(and RICHARD, I thought you were JUST a barkeep :p )

I LOVE reading. I buy books often, and NEVER throw any away. I have given some away, but usually when I enjoy a book so much, I keep it to read again, and again.

Kfamr
02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Found my reading style while drowning myself in Marley & Me...

Chapter 1, on the couch, Simba at my side......
Chapter 2, hard to keep me interested but, I keep going because I want to....
Chapter 3, I'm really tired but, I'm hooked and want to keep reading.
Chapter 4, Just one more then I need to lay down to bed.\
Chapter 5, I then lay down on the floor with a pillow and Kiki to my side.
Chapter 6, last one and then bed.

And I did end there, LOL! I can't wait to continue, though. Bed time.. been up since 4am! ;)

joanofark
02-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Omgosh Kay!! That sounds like me!! a few nights ago I layed down in bed at about 10 pm on a school night, I start reading. When I started I promised myself I'm only going to read a chapter. HA, that chapter ended and I started another, and another, and so on;). At the end of each one I wanted to know what was going to happen SO badly I couldn't resist another chapter. Then I looked over at the clcok and it was past midnight!!!

Finished the book though;)

JenBKR
02-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Found my reading style while drowning myself in Marley & Me...

That's a great book! I'm almost done with it now :D