PDA

View Full Version : ewwwwwww

IRescue452
02-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Not pet related in any way. I was trying to find a disinfectant spray for fabric- febreeze and such are not anti-bacterial. In our dorm rooms our only couches are our beds and I get paranoid when we have friends over and they sit on my bed. I don't want to cuddle up to blankets their butts were on. I usually spray the bed with a dilute bleach water but I wanted to find something else. Apparently lysol isn't for fabric or skin contact.

Anywho, I had always wondered if dish soap was anti-bacterial. Most commercials don't say and the bottles don't say. It cleans off dirt yes, but so does water. So I'm looking on yahoo and I come across a site that says something like "even dish soaps that claim to be anti-bacterial are only so at full strength, in a sink of water they have no effect". Ewwwww, seriously I have to eat off cafeteria dishes daily and now I find out that dish soap is only to get the dirt off, not to get germs off. I'm never going to be able to eat again.

Anybody know any antibacterial fabric sprays?

Crazy-Cat-Lover
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
Actually, Febreze has an Antibacterial spray. I love it! Click here to see it... (http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/en_CA/febreze/products/antibacterial.shtml)

catnapper
02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Hmmmm...... its the WATER that gets rid of bacteria on those dishes, so antibacterial soap is redundant. As for the couches, I'd let them sit on blankets and then pull them off at night to sleep on the couch (or lay down blanlets... whichever way!:)) You'll go broke spraying Fabreeze every day.

PS: Studies prooven the toilet seat was the one of the cleanest places in the house. PROOVEN! :eek:

Logan
02-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry, but this sounds a bit like paranoia to me. There are millions of people who have had guests in their dorm rooms, community soap dishes, etc that had no problems. I think you will be just fine.

No offense intended, but like Catnapper suggested, if you are that worried, then put an extra cover on the bed that you can pull of at night.

I think you will be just fine.

Logan

IRescue452
02-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah I suppose I'm a bit of a clean freak, I just don't like butts on my stuff. The dishes though, our school's dishwasher leaves bits and pieces of food on half the dishes, we have to pick through to find clean ones to use. Its pretty nasty considering some of the people that use these dishes. I'll have to take a look for that febreeze. I'm not the cleanest person in my own house, but when I'm sharing stuff with a college its different.

lv4dogs
02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
I'm one of those people that don't use antibacterial things unless needed, I also don't take antibiotics unless absolutely needed. So many germs are becoming resiliant to so many products & medicines.
If everyone continues to over use antibacterial agents, at the rate we are going at pretty soon we won't have any protection against any germs. IMO anyways.

dukedogsmom
02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
That's precisely why I never use the community dishes at work! I don't care if they have been washed. They were washed by a dirty rag that's been sitting in the sink while everyone pours their drinks all over it. No thanks.

Samantha Puppy
02-07-2006, 01:08 PM
The dishes though, our school's dishwasher leaves bits and pieces of food on half the dishes, we have to pick through to find clean ones to use. Its pretty nasty considering some of the people that use these dishes.
Even though bits of food on plates is pretty gross, I'd wager money on those dishes being washed - or at least going through a rinse - in bleach. My husband worked for several different restaurants when he was younger and every one of them either had the dishes WASHED in water with bleach or dunked in a bleach rinse at some point during the cleaning process. I wouldn't worry *too* much about those plates - just stay away from the ones with bits of food stuck on them and when you see that, bring it to someone's attention. They could get in lots of trouble if the health department ever saw that.

(Speaking of the health department, they check on ALL food preparation places... restaurants, school cafeterias, etc. So use that to put your mind at ease a little more too.)

Edwina's Secretary
02-07-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree with Logan and lv4dogs! Germs and bacteria are not all bad. In fact, you need some in your body. It has been found that people who live in less clean enviornments are sick less often.

I think if I had to choose between spraying with (and breathing) chemicals -- I'd take the very, very remote chance of a germ!

Vette
02-08-2006, 04:12 AM
The only thing that kinda creeps me out,, is when you sit in a chair or something right after someone else and the seat is still warm.
other then that,, im not picky at all. my friends and i used to share our drinks and everything else LOL :eek:

lv4dogs
02-08-2006, 08:32 AM
The only thing that kinda creeps me out,, is when you sit in a chair or something right after someone else and the seat is still warm.

I love that... when it is cold out anyways. lol

IRescue452
02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Ok some of you need to come off it a bit. I'm not that much of a germ freak. Why do you think one of the only cleaning chemicals I own is bleach? I don't like chemicals. I did want to find out if there is a spray for fabric though that I can try. I just think somebody should have a right to bury their face in their pillow and blankets without thinking of the last butt that was sitting there for two hours. Its worse when the place smells like butt. Seriously for you who think I'm a germ freak, stick your faces to the chairs next time you're in a waiting room and smell. You'll be a little grossed out too. I do everything on my bed. I do homework, I eat, I sleep. Cleanliness is important there.

I just looked up the dish soap as a curiosity. What I found out did indeed gross me out. I still eat off the cafeteria dishes but with less enthusiasm than ever.

Logan
02-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I have never stuck my nose to a cushion or mattress and I will never do it. I have people who sit on my couch, constantly, and I don't go sniffing after them. And I'm perfectly healthy!

Some things are just better left alone.......but if you have an issue with all of this, then don't let people in your room to sit on your bed. It's a simple answer.

There are just much more HUGE things to worry about in life, germwise and otherwise, than this, in my humble opinion.

My best intentions.......

Logan

Samantha Puppy
02-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Ok some of you need to come off it a bit. I'm not that much of a germ freak. Why do you think one of the only cleaning chemicals I own is bleach? Whoever said that?

And I don't think anyone was "on it". You brought up something that grossed you out and people began posting their own thoughts on the matter or ways to put your mind at ease. If you didn't want feedback, why did you say anything?? :confused:

catnapper
02-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, if its the smell of butts thats bothering you, then say its the smell, not the germs, because quite frankly, the germs we come in contact related to butts in NOTHING compared to what hands touch. If anything on your couch would be germified the most, it would be the armrests, not the cushions.

If we stopped to think about all the stuff we come into contact with on a daily basis we'd all be grossed out to the fullest. Did you know that the majority of money in circulation has human feces on it? No kidding! People don't always wash hands in public restrooms and then they pull out money to pay for their lunch... GROSS! Money goes more places that we are best not to think about! Truly... so worrying about a butt that was covered in jeans on your couch is nothing compared to worrying about germs covered HANDS fondling the arms of your couch. Just trying to put it into perspective.

Now if those butts on your couch were naked, then you've got issues ;)

PS: I HAVE slept nightly on a couch in my life. Both a pull-out couch and a regular couch. Those couches were also hand-me-downs and the pull-out couch had some questionable stains the mattress.... but I put on sheets and a mattress cover and slept soundly every night for years. That couch is now in my daughter's room and SHE sleeps on it when she has friends over.

Vela
02-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok some of you need to come off it a bit. I'm not that much of a germ freak. Why do you think one of the only cleaning chemicals I own is bleach? I don't like chemicals. I did want to find out if there is a spray for fabric though that I can try. I just think somebody should have a right to bury their face in their pillow and blankets without thinking of the last butt that was sitting there for two hours. Its worse when the place smells like butt. Seriously for you who think I'm a germ freak, stick your faces to the chairs next time you're in a waiting room and smell. You'll be a little grossed out too. I do everything on my bed. I do homework, I eat, I sleep. Cleanliness is important there.

I just looked up the dish soap as a curiosity. What I found out did indeed gross me out. I still eat off the cafeteria dishes but with less enthusiasm than ever.

Well don't let them sit on your pillow then, or have them sit on the floor, or put a blanket on your bed you can take off....I'm still stuck on the whole "butt smell" thing and why it would really be an issue unless the people on your bed were naked. And no thanks, I have no need to go smelling where people sit....LOL the thought of doing so makes me laugh=x Germs don't crawl out through people's pants from their butt to get on your bed...but if it really makes you that uncomfortable don't let them sit on your bed, get an extra blanket to throw over it, or spray the febreeze. Germs from them just sitting on your bed really aren't an issue, I'd be more worried about their hands being on my bed...but I really wouldn't worry about that either unless your friends are grossly unclean.