PDA

View Full Version : Brodie . . . Still VOMITING! help!

christa
02-05-2006, 04:05 PM
You can recall my earlier post about hairballs if you'd like a recap . . .

"Anybody Want a BRODIE" Post (http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=98207&highlight=Brodie)

I had started him on Nutro hoping that it would help him to STOP the daily vomiting. And it seemed to help for a few days.

Then he started throwing up yesterday.

He threw up THREE TIMES yesterday. All after he ate.

I saw no signs of hair . . . which I have been brushing him every day, so there should be none. So now I'm wondering if he's just eating so fast that he's throwing it up.

We've always just had one food dish and he's always gone 2nd when it comes to eating. So we decided to put down 2 food dishes and put out less food so he won't gobble down as much food.

He hasn't vomited today.

My question is . . . Vomiting 3 times in one day . . . is that bad? Do you all still think it's a hairball issue?

I couldn't get the Nutro Hairball Formula (the store didn't have it at the time) so I know that I still need to get him on some kind of hairball food. And my vet is out of town until Thursday.

I was just beside myself yesterday . . . didn't know what to do . . . is just doesn't seem normal for a cat to vomit that much in one day!

Anybody have this happen before?

catnapper
02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
I just PMed you.

Poor Brodie! Perhaps now his tummy is so irritated that he's vomiting despite not having a hairball.... much like Pouncer's bladder was irritated after there was no more crystals. Maybe the vet would suggest some Prednizone to see if the steropid could help irritation settle down? Maybe? Just a thought.

christa
02-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I just PMed you.

Poor Brodie! Perhaps now his tummy is so irritated that he's vomiting despite not having a hairball.... much like Pouncer's bladder was irritated after there was no more crystals. Maybe the vet would suggest some Prednizone to see if the steropid could help irritation settle down? Maybe? Just a thought.

Well . . . Kim did make me feel a little better . . . she said that when Pouncer had the same problems that he had vomited 4 or 5 times in any given day . . . shew, I can't imagine.

I need to get Brodie on Nutro Hairball . . . the petstore is supposed to have it tomorrow . . . if we can just make it until then. :eek:

I think I'M having a harder time with this than anyone else!

lisalee
02-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I would certainly have him checked out by your vet. Sash has been vomiting more often for the past year now, not daily but sometimes 2-3 times a week and sometimes he may go two weeks with only vomiting once. There have been times when he has vomited 2 or 3 times in one day too. He goes in spurts. But after worrying very much for the last year I did take him in for his annual in Nov. and my vet did bloodwork and everything and said it's most likely IBD which is VERY common in cats. You might want to ask your vet and also read up a little on it in cats, the main symptom is usually vomiting. Now Sash is 13, much older so I also worried about other things. Sash also has been having more problems with hairballs too in the last 6 months, actually his first hairball ever came in July, at a time when he was vomiting his food a lot that week. So it can certainly be a problem with hairballs, vomiting food.

Dry food is sometimes much worse on cats with chronic vomiting problems from what I read, and believe me I've read so much on vomiting in the past year! It might be a good idea to try feeding more canned food, just a thought. Sash eats canned and dry and when he vomits it's most always the dry food not the canned. Dry food is much harder to digest for some cats. It can be a very frustrating thing to get under control. I hope you find something that helps Brodie soon.

kuhio98
02-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Poor Brodie (and you!). Christa, has his thyroid levels been checked? Kuhio started puking and puking (no hairballs) when her thyroid went into hyperdrive. She never ate quickly or anything like that. But her system was on such overload that she puked several times a day. She didn't start this until she was about 15. Brodie is much too young for this, but it could be something to check out.

catmandu
02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
The Found Cat Meezers tend to lose thier Dinners a bit,as they are bolting thier food,as they seem to think taht the Kittens will eat it all first,if they dont look out.
We have a special fondness for Brodie,as he looks so much like Mr Scrappy,and we are praying that his Tummy feels good soon.

moosmom
02-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Christa,

I don't really have any advice. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and Brodie and hope they can find out what is making him vomit.

Hang in there. Prayers and hugs to you both!!

christa
02-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks everyone. The prayers & thoughts are MUCH appreciated! Please keep them coming! There must be an answer! Pray that there is an answer!