PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd Chow Mix

renfest
02-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have any information on a Shepherd Chow Mix I have not been able to find anything the reason I am asking is because we got Merilyn when he was 7 weeks old and he is a great addition to the family I just wanted to see if I could read up on the breed since I don't know much about his parents he was found and taken to a vet with his sister and all the searches I found I could not find one on the shepherd chow mix.

rennie

dukedogsmom
02-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey, that's what I have! He's almost 13 and I've had him since he was about 5 months old. Just do a search under my name and you can see a lot of pics of him. Search in Dog General. What do you want to know? This boy is the love of my life.
ETA: Here's a pic of him when he was young:
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/youngduke1.jpg
That second pic of yours sort of reminds me of him except his markings are a lot darker. Would love to see more of Merilyn.

dukedogsmom
02-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I see a lot of similarity

renfest
02-04-2006, 11:26 PM
He has developed some sort of red sores he is a lover and he is just a bundle of fun other then the sores he is happy and healthy he is 7 months old and I was wondering if you ever experienced red sores that he chews to the point of inflamation.

rennie

renfest
02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Here are some pictures I have of Merilyn

http://photobucket.com/albums/v190/renfest/Merilyn/

rennie

dukedogsmom
02-04-2006, 11:45 PM
What a doll! I just love this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/renfest/Merilyn/photo1.jpg
Duke's never had anything like that. Have you checked with the vet? It might be some sort of allergy which Duke has had. I have to give him the Benadryl pills at night because he was itching a lot. Also, it might have to do with the area you're in. I would have the vet look at them and see if they can help. Also, it might be what is called hot spots. I don't have any knowlege of that but some other people here do.

renfest
02-05-2006, 07:12 AM
I called the vet and they wanted me to breing him in but my car is not running it's been a week and they come and go so I am going to give it another week and then call if nothing else to have them chek it . that is one of my favorite ones as well all the qntique in the pics I did myself if you like you can add me to yahoo msger renfest_99

rennie

renfest
02-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Merilyn also has the chow black tongue

rennie

Leah
02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
I've had chow chows for the last thirty years and this last one we got has so many allergies that I just had him shaved to try and get under the hair to treat the spots. We got him when he was three weeks old because his mother had been hit by a car and he's had allergies ever since we got him. But then he has a lot of other problems too so this is just one of them. But he's so sweet with us. We are senior citizens and camp a lot and he's wonderful to travel with, loves to go and doesn't mind having to be on a leash while we're gone. But he's so scared of people and other dogs that I have to make sure we don't walk him around when they are out. At home he loves the grandlittles and doesn't act like a lot of chows do with children.
He is four years old now. And a black chow, not a red one.

Xaja
02-23-2006, 03:01 PM
The Chow*GSD cross is quite popular I think, the famous psychologist and biologist Kondrad Lorenz bred these dogs for several generations. In the web you can find lots of these crosses, too.

renfest
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
What I have noticed with Merilyn is that he loves people and kids and I was told that chow's are not usually good around kids he is more shep then chow in his looks or so I think..

rennie

Uabassoon
02-23-2006, 05:17 PM
What I have noticed with Merilyn is that he loves people and kids and I was told that chow's are not usually good around kids he is more shep then chow in his looks or so I think..

That's a common myth. Chows can make great family dogs. Growing up my family had two chows and they were just amazing and so sweet and gentle with me when I was a kid. I know that some can be a little protective of their family but they are very loyal and sweet dogs.

Xaja
02-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I think so too. My favourite breed, the Eurasier, has partly been bred from the chow and they are simply the best family dogs.

renfest
02-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Well I know he feels like he owns the couch at times .. he will hit me if I am sitting there and he want's to stretch out.. he has the chow body and feet but looks shep.

rennie