PDA

View Full Version : Moving Stuffs?

sandragonfly
02-04-2006, 06:45 PM
some of you know the ark & I moved 3,100 miles away in my tiny car that I couldn't carry some small big stuffs.

do you know any good, reasonable price, trustworthy company I could have it ship them over here? do I ask for one in west, california or here, in east? also would like any advices/tips from previous experiences. if any, which ones you recommand I shouldn't use? (my stuffs aren't more than 150lbs I think).

for one, I couldn't sell my (40+ lbs) nighttable someone (who is no longer in existence) made for me. :(

Corinna
02-04-2006, 06:58 PM
One of the national places probley the best.

king2005
02-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Wish I could help, but I do have an idea.

When you find a good mover, see if there is a PT member who would be willing to supervise the Move & put a lock on the truck that you already have the key to :)

Karen
02-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I'd just email the national chains. Is the stuff all prepared to ship wherever it is in CA, and at the home of someone you know?

You need to know approximate dimensions and weights to get a good quote.

Craftlady
02-04-2006, 09:43 PM
I would say with your small load (150lbs) they would tack on to someone elses truck load that would be coming your way. Moving companies with their hugh trucks can move several households in 1 truck. I'm betting it would cost a small fortune to move a small load across the country on it's own. They are very particular about measurements of boxes and weight.

sandragonfly
02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
national ones are like? ryder? err, I know nothing else! - some said wouldn't do one way. :( :confused:

karen, yeah. he's waiting for me! :p

craftlady, maybe I should send over an elephant too! I miss my two at ZOO. :D

best way how I google?

sandragonfly
02-04-2006, 10:28 PM
by the way, is there other way than moving trucks? since my stuffs aren't that much - legal to 'mail' out a quite over pounds? I expect it could cost $100-200 each! :eek:

what else would you do if moving truck really isn't an option?

Craftlady
02-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Ryder is "do it yourself" moving.
Companies like MayFlower are national movers.

moosmom
02-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Gina,

WHATEVER you do, do NOT go looking for a moving company on the internet. It is the worst place to look for a moving company. I speak from personal experience and I was told that by an investigator of the Federal Transportation Safety Board.

Have you ever seen the stories Dateline or 20/20 had where these so-called "moving companies" held people's possessions hostage on the moving truck and demanded more money or they wouldn't get their stuff?? I was one of those victims.

Well, that happened to me when I moved to Michigan. What started out as a $1,425 move from Connecticut to Michigan ended up costing me over $3,000!! :eek: I was supposed to get my stuff in 5-7 days. They took a month!! Me and my 6 cats lived in one bedroom in my SIL's apartment.

ALWAYS go with reputable companies. By law, they have to give you a book on your rights as a consumer (I didn't get one). They are also supposed to weigh the truck before loading and after loading. They didn't. I wanted to go with them to weigh the truck before they started loading it. They wouldn't let me. ALWAYS take out extra insurance on your own because the moving company is only responsible for 10 cents on the dollar value). I didn't and they lost and broke some very sentimental things that can never be replaced.

I had all my paperwork and tried suing them in small claims court. The clerk told me I was basically wasting my money because, even though I'd probably win, trying to get them to pay is impossible. They're like gypsies. They close down, move around and change names, setting up business somewhere else.

In my case, I was never able to recover any of it. This "moving company" was out of New York. The government told them to cease and desist doing business as Regal Moving and Storage. The crooks!!!! :mad:

I tear up everytime I think about how many of my mother's and grandmother's items they lost, stole or broke.

Suggestion: How about PODS??? They're pretty new. They are square "pods" that you can load your stuff in and the company will pick it up and move it to your new location, or store it in their warehouse. I looked into that when I wanted to move back here but they aren't available in Michigan.

I'm sorry this post is so long. But I wanted to let you know what I went through to save you the same trouble.

Karen
02-05-2006, 12:12 PM
You can pack stuff up and mail it yourself by the US Post Office, or UPS ground ship it - it doesn't necessarily need to be a moving company. Mailboxes, etc might be a good place to check out.

furrykidsmother
02-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry I missed this. I wasn't around much of the weekend.

I agree with Karen, I think UPS would probably work for you. If you ship it ground, it would probably be to you within a week, you can insure it for whatever it is worth and you will get a tracking number so you can follow the progress. Weights and dimensions would be needed though. You actually can go on to their website and answer the questions and it will give you a quote. If you can't get to their website, if you can give me the weights, dimensions, value of each box and the ship from and ship to zip codes I can do it for you.

sandragonfly
02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
OH MY moosmom! I'm extremely soo sorry about that! things you regret forever.. :( :mad: :( I thank and appreciate so much for you taking your time sharing experience with me. so so terrible!!

I love mailboxes, etc.! they're really good, reasonable prices and lots of various, fun choices what to send in, with, etc. for some reason that one disappeared out my mind when I moved here. :rolleyes: will check that out! and POD too!

furrykidsmother, no need to be sorry, wasn't expecting an answer from you. :) but I could give one try, can you find a quote/an estimate for about 40lbs, 20x30x20? (I know the dimensions aren't exactly in order.. do we go by widthxlengthxheight?) :rolleyes: lol. thanks!

furrykidsmother
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I would be happy to get a quote for you, it goes by length x width x height.

I also would need the from and to zip code. You can PM with that if you would like and I'll get it for you as soon as I can.

sandragonfly
02-06-2006, 11:08 AM
d'oh. you got my zipcode. :D so it's 30x20x20 then. how do you remember? :p

furrykidsmother
02-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Got your zip code. It would take about a week to get to you and since it is a large package it will have a dimensional weight to figure. I'll go do it now and send you a PM.

catnapper
02-06-2006, 12:12 PM
looks like everything is settled, but if everything can be packed in a few boxes, UPS is definately the best way to go. If someone is there on the West coast to package it and take it to the UPS store, then you'll be best off money wise for sure!

I work with furniture and moving, etc. If you only have a few items and use a moving company, they will merely shove it on the back of a truck and then they'll take their sweet old time tossing it onto another truck. There will be a few layovers along the way... before you know it, that stuff took $1,000 to ship and 2 weeks to get to you. They'll give you a song and dance about the high cost of fuel these days and how they had to blanket wrap things, yadda yadda yadda. UPS will take a few days and 75% cheaper because all they do is shipping.

furrykidsmother
02-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I agree with Catnapper. UPS is the best choice. I did some checking and getting quotes and UPS would be about $60.00, mail about $127.00 and POD $1,200.00 - $1,400.00, that is absolutely ridiculous!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would definately go with UPS, I use them at work all the time, probably about 95% of the time and I like being able to track the progress and usually are the most reasonable as far as cost goes.

sandragonfly
02-07-2006, 10:19 AM
geesh, absolutely ridiculous! :confused: ..maybe because it's new?

well, looks like I'll stick to UPS for now and still search for some more. I thought only of 'moving' because my stuffs need to be moved! :p

thanks guys!! great help.

sandragonfly
02-07-2006, 10:24 AM
geesh, absolutely ridiculous! :confused: ..maybe because it's new?

well, looks like I'll stick to UPS for now and still search for some more. I hoguht of 'moving' because my stuffs need to be moved! :p

thanks guys!! great help.