PDA

View Full Version : What a morning, man hit dog on way to work

catlover4ever
02-03-2006, 08:08 AM
It's 7:30, pouring rain, windy and a bit chilly. I notice that traffic is slowing down and people are going around something in the road. I too slow down and as I pass this large thing in the road I notice that it is a dog. My heart is in my throat.

I can't stop immediately so I continue down the road and turn around in the next driveway. I immediately take out my cell phone to call the police as the dog was still alive. I wait for the traffic to go by and turn back around. When I arrive at the dog there is a man with his truck pulled over and standing over the dog crying. I roll down the window and ask if he called the police and if he needs help. He cried back to me that he killed the dog, that he did not mean to hit her. He kept repeating this to me.

I told him to calm down, he did not kill the dog...she was alive but needed help...could I help him move her out of the road. He was so thankful. As I was getting out of my car, the owner came running. He was not upset with the man who hit "Missy" but instead so concerned.

I told the owner that she was still alive and had no blood coming from her mouth, ears or eyes...which was a good sign but her hip was definately broken. I asked the owner to go and get his car so he could take Missy to the vet (which I knew was open for emergencies at the time).

I went back to my car, took out my sweatshirt and put it over Missy to keep her warm while her owner was gone. I kept petting her and taking to her, telling her she was going to be OK.

The poor man who hit her was crying so I grabbed his hand and told him that it would be OK. I thanked him for doing the right thing by turning around and coming back to her instead of leaving her in the pouring rain. I felt so bad for him.

Missy's owner came back and put her in the back of the SUV. He went to give me back my sweatshirt because he would stop back at home and get her a towel but I told him that time was ticking and he should just take the shirt and go.....it's not something that is as important as Missy is. Keep her warm and get her to her vet ASAP.

I got back in my car, watched as the owner left with Missy, made sure the other man got back in his car OK and then went on my way to work.

During this whole ordeal......not 1 other person stopped their cars to see if help was needed. What a bunch of inconsiderate jack@!)#

Sorry for the long pointless story but I needed to share it with someone. I beleive Missy will be OK. I will stop this weekend at the house that I think is her owner's to see how she is doing.

catnapper
02-03-2006, 08:31 AM
You did a great thing! I hope the dog is a-ok. I'd be devastated if I hit a dog - utterly inconsolable. Poor guy.

As for nobody stopping...... grrrrrrrrrrrr

ramanth
02-03-2006, 08:41 AM
*HUGS* What a terrible thing to come upon.

At least you stopped and it is great that the person responsible came back. I hope Missy will be okay.

To address your concern about no one else stopping, to be honest, if I saw a number of cars already on the scene, I'd likely keep going too. Too many cooks in the kitchen....

I've been yelled at by police or passerbys for offering to help when many cars/people are already on the scene. So if it looks like the situation is under control, I move on.

Now if someone was trying to flag down more help, then I'd stop and ask.

catlover4ever
02-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Just an update...I called the vet's office and Missy is doing well. They would not go into detail but said that she is resting comfortably and will be OK.

Thank you God and St. Francis!

buttercup132
02-03-2006, 09:33 AM
That poor guy he must feel awful. You did a good job keeping everyone calm and helping everyone. Please keep us updated
I hope it wasnt your favorite sweater lol ;) :p

caseysmom
02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago, well I did not see the dog get hit but it was on a busy street and not only did people not stop to help they honked at me for stopping traffic to try to help the dog....idiots.

cyber-sibes
02-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Bless you for doing all the right things - stoppping, calling the police, helping with Missy, and trying to calm that poor man who hit her. That part made me cry :( because two years ago some ass**** hit (& KILLED) my sweet Rosie. When I ran out, only 1 other man had stopped to help. It was pitch black & pouring rain. The ass**** that hit her drove back 10 minutes later to ask who was going to pay for his truck fender. Never said "how is she?" or "I'm sorry", or not even "Gee, I didn't see her". :mad:
I'm glad to hear that Missy will be alright :)

caseysmom
02-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I forgot to say...good for you for helping...its amazing how there are some people that are so good and some people like the one that hit cyber sibes rosie...what a difference in people...I really think what goes around comes around.

Karen
02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you so much for helping Missy, the man who hit her and her owner as well.

Thank you for letting the guy know that she was still alive, and that he didn't kill her as he first thought, and for comforting him.

And thank you very much for letting us know the happy outcome.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh Meg, what an awful scene to come upon. Sounds like you did great though and handled the situation quite well. Much better than the guy who actually hit the dog did - how is standing there blubbering going to help the poor dog? I would feel terrible if I hit a dog - or any animal - too, but I would try to help the poor critter and when I knew I did all I could for it, then I would break down.

So glad to here Missy's going to be ok. Good work! :)

Anita Cholaine
02-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Sounds like you did such a great job... And I'm glad to know what the person who hit the dog did. There are still good people in the world, although sometimes it's hard to find them....

I'm also glad to know that Missy's doing well... ;)

elizabethann
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
You are an awesome person to have stopped. I wish there were more people like you in this world. Thank you soooo much!

Alysser
02-03-2006, 07:48 PM
:D That's awesome what you did for that dog!

moosmom
02-03-2006, 07:49 PM
Meg,

I was happy to hear that the guy who hit her stopped and I hope she'll be okay. Some people just think, "It's only an animal" and don't bother stopping. THAT pisses me off.

I hit a cat (or THOUGHT I did) one night on my way home. I stopped immediately and tried to find her. We found her huddling in the corner of an empty garage. She didn't LOOK hurt, but was pretty scared. I guess what happened was when she ran out in the road, she rolled underneath my car. I was relieved that she was okay.

I get sick seeing so many dead pets on the side of the road, and angry as hell at the owners who allow it to happen.

Ya did good, girl! Proud of ya!!