PDA

View Full Version : Riding English

CarrieB
02-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I wanted to start taking lessons on english riding (I usually do western), because I thought that jumping might be interesting. But the thing is.. I am so scared I might fall off while jumping!! I kno you guys hav probably heard this millions of times.. but I really want to overcome this fear. I have so many stories of people falling off there horses and braking legs, and be paralized!! How often does this happen? I mean, of course I don't mind falling off a couple times and maybe getting a few scratches.. but I certainly wouldn't want to break something or get paralized.. who would? So can anybody help me to overcome this fear? What can I do? :confused:

Buddy Blaze Lover
02-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh, believe me, I had some fears when I started riding English too!;) I was like, "Woa, there's nothing to hold you on except balance!" I think the biggest thing, is to get used to riding English slow at first and gradually get faster and better. But I don't think there is any real way to gurantee you are not going to fall off. It happens in western too, and there's really nothing you can do to prevent it...when you get on a horse, you have to be prepared and ready at any time to fall off. Don't get on the horse if you're too scared, or you'll scare the horse!;) I mean, horses spook, buck, and rear...even the tamest most gentle horses; I've experienced it!:) I don't want to scare you, but I don't want to lie either. And remember--you can't prevent accidents, that's why they're called accidents.;) Good luck!

cocker_luva
02-03-2006, 05:01 PM
when you learn, you start off r-e-a-l slow. (at least i did). also ive been riding for about 8 years, and i have yet to fall off a horse, jumping or not. so dont worry. the instructor wouldnt let a new rider/jumper on a horse that couldnt be trusted.

Suki Wingy
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
you are lucky in that you already know western! Basically you need to build up your leg strength before anything. English is SO much more exiting than wester, you'll love it. I've only fallen off three times in five years and mostly they were my fault, once was jumping when the horse took a HUGE spot and I didn't have near enough leg strength to be jumping it. Still I didn't really get hurt.

CarrieB
02-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the replys!! I can't wait to start english riding. I'm going to still do western too, so I'll do western and english once a week. When I did western.. my least favorite thing was extended trot... because it hurt my legs to be standing up while squeezing at the same time, and while I was also trying to remember EVERYTHING else I have to do!! Is extended trot hard for you guys too? Maybe it's just me.. but yeah I am so excited :D!

buttercup132
02-03-2006, 11:33 PM
It's all in your thighs and keeping your self balanced in way so you wont fall off. They will teach you that WAY before you even go over stepping poles. But if you see pictures of people jumping you will see there bums int he air there front i down and tilted foward and keep there arms short. Don't worry you'll be fine it's fun.

Mutt_Maniac
02-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Have you tryed jumping in western? Maybe if you learned the process of jumping first with all the support in western it might help. I jump in western and it is sooo much fun!

Miss Z
02-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Oh, believe me, I had some fears when I started riding English too!;) I was like, "Woa, there's nothing to hold you on except balance!"

You know, when i did western, i thought how stange it was to have such a weird saddle and to have such a slack rein contact. I love English style, and you'll love it too! Jumping is brilliant, and yes falls do happen, but with a good horse you'll be fine. You'll find that you'll get better and better, and you'll get hooked on jumping higher and longer! And also, falls are all part of experience, so the when you do fall just think that next time you'll know if it's coming!

HollandLoppy89
02-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I agree, I ride english and it is SO fun. I wouldn't move to western even if I had to. I love everything about english riding. I wouldn't start jumping unless you are 100% sure you can control your horse, and you are balanced in the saddle. You may want to take a lesson or two for jumping until you get the hang of it. Make sure you can stay in a two point position accurately and you are comfortable and confident that you can jump. Be prepared, your horse may jump the smallest jump possible like a 4'0! You will definitely fall off. The first time I jumped on a little pony, I fell off! It's part of it.
Hope this helps!!

Suki Wingy
02-06-2006, 04:10 PM
or they could go the other way and just take a huge trot step over it :p that's what happened to me the first time I "jumped"!

Sweet Sixy
02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I have been riding english for about 15 years...I learned western much later on. I prefer english because you have more contact with your horse and are better able to get a sense of what they are feeling. I also ride side saddle and my favorite...saddle seat. Every style of riding is different, and every horse is different. I agree with everyone, you'll fall off at one point or another. I am one of those people who fell off and was badly hurt at one point, however that was about 10 years ago and I still ride and actually I am able to anticipate the horses actions better now. My horse now is a crazy girl who rears up every chance she gets. I am sure that you will love english!! :D It is such a great feeling to be closer to the horse as opposed to having all that saddle.