PDA

View Full Version : Kayleigh update...

Glacier
02-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Kayleigh has a root abcess in one of her molars. She is having surgery to remove the tooth on Monday. She did alright at the vet today. She never did let Dr. Rick have a really good look at her mouth, but she also didn't take his hand off when he kept trying. A few years ago that's exactly what she would have done! Today she just turned away and whined. She really has come a long way!

I took her for a run before the app't. She wasn't as excited as usual, but she rolled in the snow and chased a Raven or two. I got some pics of her playing in the snow. I'll post them later. I think the cold felt good on her face. She spent alot of time with her head under the snow.

The waiting room at the clinic was empty when we got there! Phew! I left her in the truck until they were ready for her. She walked on to the scale, stopped for her weight and then right into the exam room. They have a big note on her booking for Monday to keep her away from cats and other dogs.

Other than the tooth issue, Kayleigh appears to be in good health. I'm getting some blood work done before they put her under just to make sure. It takes alot of drugs to knock a dog her size out and I want to make sure her kidney and liver can process it all. Last time she was at the vet, Dr. Rick said she needed to loose a few pounds. She's down to 107 which is about perfect for her!

She was even good in the truck when I ran a couple errands!

K9soul
02-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Ouchie! My Cody had a broken tooth that formed an abscess and had to be taken out when he was around 10 I believe. It had to be removed as well. They ran blood work due to his age but he came through wonderfully. I hope Kayleigh will have as smooth a procedure and recovery.

Ginger's Mom
02-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Well Kayleigh, I am glad to hear that you were such a good girl today. Good luck on Monday, and I hope you will feel much better afterward.

captain
02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Oh Kayleigh,
{{{hugs}}} to you for Monday darlin!!!

You were so well behaved today ....... :D

finn's mom
02-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Sounds like it went as well as it could have! She really sounds like she was getting relief by putting her head in the snow, poor girl. Can't wait to hear that she's back to her normal self! (except for the whole taking the vet's hand off thing) Thanks for the update, I was thinking about y'all today.

Glacier
02-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Can't wait to hear that she's back to her normal self! (except for the whole taking the vet's hand off thing)

I don't think she would anymore. When she first arrived, Kayleigh had some serious issues, particularly with men. It took a long time and a lot of work, particularly from Stuart, to convince her that not all men were going to beat her. It's been over three years since she actually showed any aggression towards a person. Other animals, well, that's never going to change so we just manage it.

Glacier
02-02-2006, 10:33 PM
She was not nearly as excited about going to her off-leash area as she usually is. She stayed beside me so much that I put her back on her leash early!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/kayhiding.jpg
This is what she did most of the time. She always loves snow, but I think today it felt good on her face.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/kayleighsnow.jpg
Watching some ravens. Normally she'd be chasing them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Dogs%202006/kaylumpg.jpg
Ready to go back to the truck. It's not really clear in this picture, but you can kind of see the lump on the far side of her face. It's right under her eye.

She's pretty pathetic tonight. Not doing much and even took her time eating her soaked kibble. Kayleigh never takes her time eating!

cyber-sibes
02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Only a few more days till you feel much better, Kayleigh! You sure were a good girl for your mom & the vet, keep it up! :) You look pretty happy, considering!
(107 lbs! :eek: big girl! she doesn't look that big in the pictures) Cute frosty face!

anna_66
02-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Aww sweetie your face looks so swolen:( I bet that snow did feel good on it.
Hopefully in a few days you'll be back to woofing your food down and chasing those ravens again;)

Lots of love for you girl:D

Queen of Poop
02-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Oh Kayleigh, poor sweetie. Rest and relax this weekend sweetie, all will feel better on Monday. Here's another gentle KISS for your swollen cheek.

mtn_chick
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Aw, poor girl! Good luck Kayleigh! They're so sweet and sucky post-surgery.

I also had to do the extra bloodwork for Kate. Man, it adds up!! I think between you and I - we're doing a good job at keeping those guys in business!! :rolleyes: