PDA

View Full Version : Google makes it easy to find personal info ??

AlleyCat
02-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I just learned something new about Google by accident. I hardly ever use Google, so I never knew about the "Images" feature. I did an experiment and I was shocked at what I found -- Basically, I typed in my full name and did a search on the Images page.

Guess what? Because my PT signature showed up in the "Images" search results, if I clicked on that signature, Google went directly to the user profile page where my date of birth is listed. I am not thrilled about having the whole world know my birthday (not because I'm vain, I'm only 34 !! :) ) but because of security/identity issues. I took out the Year ASAP on my user profile, but ....!! eek:

Kfamr
02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
It is because your name is in the URL of your signature and google searches EVERYWHERE on the web.

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Wow...nothing on me comes up, unless I type in Roxyluvsme13

Jessika
02-02-2006, 06:58 PM
That's why you need to be careful about putting ANY information about yourself on the net, on any site.

Also, typing in a home number will give you the house address associated with the number as well as the first and last name of the head of the household, AND directions to the house.

Creepy :(

Kfamr
02-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Also, typing in a home number will give you the house address associated with the number as well as the first and last name of the head of the household, AND directions to the house.

Google also has an option, that I just found, that you can use to remove that option. Should say it right next to where it lists the information.

Jessika
02-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Google also has an option, that I just found, that you can use to remove that option. Should say it right next to where it lists the information.

Oh, really? They must have just added it since the last time I typed in my parents' house number, I'll remove their entries for them :)

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I typed in my phone number, and it said no results found?

Jessika
02-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I typed in my phone number, and it said no results found?

Your mom may have already taken your information out. Cell phone numbers do not come up, and if you have your home number unlisted then you won't show up either.

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Your mom may have already taken your information out. Cell phone numbers do not come up, and if you have your home number unlisted then you won't show up either.
My mom doesnt even use the computer! Shes very technologically challenged(she cant even turn one on) Our phone number IS listed...

Jessika
02-02-2006, 08:23 PM
My mom doesnt even use the computer! Shes very technologically challenged(she cant even turn one on) Our phone number IS listed...

Well then make sure you're typing the full 10-digit phone number WITHOUT special characters

ex:

GOOD: 1234567890
BAD: (123) 456-7890

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Well then make sure you're typing the full 10-digit phone number WITHOUT special characters

ex:

GOOD: 1234567890
BAD: (123) 456-7890
I did it exactly like that, still No results!

Jessika
02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Then there are only one of two explanations:

- your number IS unlisted
- your mom took the result out

lol, those are the only explanations

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
I guess its unlisted. :p Thats a good thing though! :D

Kfamr
02-02-2006, 08:33 PM
I typed mine in like this:

123-456-7890

And it came up.

Roxyluvsme13
02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
I tried *both* ways, but nothing...so Oh well!
EDIT:P.S. Kay, I love your dogster link buttons! :D

dukedogsmom
02-02-2006, 10:24 PM
This is kind of off topic but........starting Feb 5th, cell phone numbers are being released to companies for solicitations. If you don't want your number called, go to www.donotcall.gov and follow the instructions there.

buttercup132
02-03-2006, 08:09 AM
I wasn't trying to be a creeper or anything but Kay I typed in your name and bunch of pictures of your pups and siggies you made cmae up :confused: .

AlleyCat
02-03-2006, 09:40 AM
It is because your name is in the URL of your signature and google searches EVERYWHERE on the web.

I did figure that out about why it picked up the signature, I was just shocked that it brought me right to the profile page with my date of birth on it. I have instantly become more aware of what information I put out there on the web and I need to be more careful!

AlleyCat
02-03-2006, 09:41 AM
This is kind of off topic but........starting Feb 5th, cell phone numbers are being released to companies for solicitations. If you don't want your number called, go to www.donotcall.gov and follow the instructions there.

THANK YOU for the reminder! I've known for a month and kept forgetting about it, so after I read your post I went and registered both hubby and my cell numbers. I really don't want junk calls!

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
OMG :eek: :eek: . I typed in my hubby's full name, and I got all possible links to my web-site and when I type my full name, I even get medical info I ever posted on a med-forum :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh my gosh, I hope Bernard NEVER finds out, he is gonna be FURIOUS!!!

Nothing I can do about it, as his name in the URL of our provider and the web-site I made there :(

CathyBogart
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
If I type in my parents' phone number it comes up with a totally different address. What's really creepy is www.zabasearch.com IMO....

WolvesRawk
02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
If I type in my parents' phone number it comes up with a totally different address. What's really creepy is www.zabasearch.com IMO....That's so creepy! :eek: I'm scared of the internet now. :(