PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Training.

Uabassoon
02-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Has anyone here ever litter box trained their dog? Alexa has really been considering this for Payson. We've had him for 7 months and he still isn't trained. The problem is that he hates outside, he's scared of dogs, people, cars, loud noises.. I feel like Alexa and I have tried just about everything. We've crate trained him, but he will urinate in his crate (it is the right size for him) then stand there whining and howling until he is let out. Sometimes he wake us up at night after he's urinated in the crate, we've also come home to him whining. He will pee even if he's inside leashed next to you. If you catch him right when he's about to start he won't stop even if you pick him up or say no. We will take him out every hour and he just won't go, but then the second we leave the house he will urinate.

We both also wonder if it's cruel to keep him indoors, but at the same time he just really hates the outside. Should we just throw in the towel and have him be an inside only dog?

Just to clarify we have no yard, so all of his outings are leashed.

dab_20
02-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, I'm sorry but I don't know much about this.

Hope Payson can finally be potty trained soon. Poor thing, too bad he's afraid of outside. Good Luck! :)

Ginger's Mom
02-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I can sooo relate. The litterbox did not work for us. But I did send you a long PM about it. Good luck. :)

vinjashira
02-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I know some people with smaller dogs such as Chihuahuas and Yorkies use liter box training but may not be suitable for Payson due to his size. Have you tried using a wee-pad? it's available at most petshops. I used it when Snowy was a puppy. Worked really well.

lv4dogs
02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Has he been checked by a vet & had a urine sample to check for posible problems. It seems fairly odd for him to be urinating in his crate if it is the right size.

If the vet rules out any type of medical problem than I would say to try to litter train him, what have you got to loose? ;)

lv4dogs
02-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Duh, I forgot to add that Purina has site just for litterbox training... here ya go: ina litterbox training
http://www.doglitter.com/